HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal cuff (what does it look like?) Vaginal cuff (what does it look like?)

Unread 11-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Vaginal cuff (what does it look like?)

Hi all
been to pelvicfloor.com, had a look round and now understand a bit more about my op.

One thing I am curious about though, what does the vaginal cuff look like from the inside

I hope that is not a gross question, but I have one now and I want to know what it looks like

best wishes
Unread 11-28-2005, 02:25 PM

I have never seen it-it is tissue that has been stitched together. Someone said like the end of a tube sock. Since the vaginal tissue is so elastic it seems to collapse on itself and may be hard to see. I had a friend that used a mirror to see into her vagina, but I was never that curious
Unread 11-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Not to sound stupid, but I didn't even know I had one or what it was until awhile after my surgery! Unlike some, after seeing that pelvic floor thing, I really don't want to see anything else!
Unread 11-29-2005, 07:55 AM

My surgeon told me that he created a vaginal floor by taking ligaments from inside and sewing them across to the place were the cervix use to be. He told me that I shouldn't have any problems because my ligaments were good and strong. Good to know. I did an image search on Google for "vaginal cuff" and there were a few, but it just looked like innerds to me.
Unread 11-29-2005, 09:45 AM

When you go to your doctor for your next visit when they check your inside.. ask them to show you what they see, they will just pull out a huge mirror while they have you opened up and you can see everything... I went and my vaginal cuff was torn so my doctor let me see, it was pretty amazing what I saw... First time I ever seen the inside of my vagina and probablly the last... Ha
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:15 AM

hi all, i was wondering as i started bleeding on 10th day
does anyone think it could be the cuff made, could that be bleeding, also i have a presure at the end of a wee at the bottom of my tummy and a bit of pain , do you think i could be bleeding from the bladder? please if anyone has any ideas to why i am bleeding , on 10th day when i had no previuose bleeding untill now .many thanks to any replys.
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:24 AM

I didnt show any signs of blood until after 4 weeks and I have had blood ever since and I am over 12 weeks post op now.. everyone is different, but if you are worried that it might be your bladder then go to your doctor, but I doubt that is what it is... You may have just broke a stitch in your vaginal cuff or something like that and you will be fine.. Call your doctor and ask him/her their opinion.
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:26 AM

thank you radlilred, you say you are bleeding still do you know why you are bleeding and where from and did they tell you when it is likely to stop (doctors) hope you are well otherwise, coleen .
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:32 AM

At week 4 I broke a stitch in my vaginal cuff and since then I have a small open area in there that my doctor says will just have to heal on its own but if it hasnt in a few weeks he will do the silver nitrate on it to repair it.. But that is where the blood is coming from.. He said that it is still ok for sex and everything.. But sex makes it bleed harder so we have decided to wait until I am totally healed... (doctor said that I am not healing there very fast cause I am a smoker) Im not sure how much of that I believe since I dont do anything else that is bad for me like drinking and drugs.. But maybe my immune system isnt so good.. My tummy insision healed real fast and nicely.. Guess the smoking thing only applies to your vagina healing properly...Haha!
Unread 11-29-2005, 10:37 AM

lol that made me smile , nah i dont think the smoking thing is right, sorry to hear you carnt have sex, this is my worst fear, as untill i had my op that was what was happining to me everytime we had sex i would be in pain and bleed so i was kinda hoping that this would be the end to all the bleeding now im so fed up and dissapointed to think this is not over by a long shot, hope you get it sorted soon, and can i ask how long you have been left to bleed now for , coleen.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.