HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

sex and the leaking bladder sex and the leaking bladder

Unread 11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
sex and the leaking bladder

Ok ladies heres my problem. I see the Gyn tomarrow for my six week check up I am sure he will give me the go to resume all activites. Heres the catch I have two holes in my bladder and I am leaking pee can't have it fixed till Jan.18th I don't think my hormones will wait that long. Has anyone else had this problem?Is it safe to go ahead or is my gyn. going to tell me no sex till after the bladder surgery?
Unread 11-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Hi I'm sorry you are going to have to have another surgery to fix the fistulas. The only way to be sure what your Gyn is going to tell you is to go to the appointment and see, but I would think that chances are pretty good you will not be cleared for sex until after you've healed from the repair surgery. Otherwise the risk of infection, given the holes between your vagina and bladder, is just too great, imho.

You might ask your DR if 'outercourse' is a problem in the meantime... I suspect that would be OK.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-29-2005, 04:57 AM

Hey Fellow Fistula Sister,

I had a golf size hole in my bladder due to my TAH on 8/4. Have'nt had sex since 8/3, Uro said risk of infection was to high. Can't handle any excitement, it sends my bladder into spasms, my poor DH...., forget that, he will live. If he was a little more compastionate about what I have been going through, maybe I would be a little more accomidating to him.

Hang in there!!!!

Today is my cystogram to see if my hole was repaired and still sealed...... wish me luck.

CJ
Unread 11-29-2005, 06:43 PM

Hi Melinda,
I was wondering how you are!
My ob/gyn said no sex but my urologist gave me the go ahead. I have had bladder infections since my hyst due to my 2cm hole in my bladder. I can directly trace each bladder infection back to when I had marital relations even though we both took showers before and after. I'll bet your obgyn will tell you to wait. My bladder correction surgury is Dec 20. It seems they always make us wait 3 months after the TAH.
Unread 12-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Unhappy - sex and the leaking bladder sex/leaking bladder

CatLady66 thanks for the info. Luckly I have not had any infection except a week after surgery, then followed the leaking. I am scheduled for surgery on Jan.18th. My six week visit to the Gyn. was last week and he told me no sex. I won't see the uro till the surgery day I guess I could e-mail him and ask. But I am not too much in the mood right now. I have up days and down daysSomedays I move right through other days realy suck and the cold weather is not helping matters. And trying to shop for Christmas has been alittle nightmareish having stop and change pads. I just wish it was over. Thanks for listening.. Meinda
Unread 12-05-2005, 03:34 AM

Melinda,

Did I read correctly? You will not even meet your URO until the day of surgery? Do you even know which kind of repair he is doing? If I were you, I would call and ask for a consult ASAP. VVF repair surgery is a tricky, tricky thing. It is very common for this surgery to fail. This surgery is difficult for even the most seasoned surgeon. Questions I would ask.... How many of these surgeries have you done, and how many were successful the first time? Are you going to cut me vertically, horizontilly, or go in vaginally? Will you use a fat patch to help prevent recurrence? How long will I where the cathetar post op? Will you perform a cystogram before cathetar removal? How long do you expect me to be in the hospital? What kind of cathetar will I wear after?

I know this is unsolicited advice....sorry. I am almost 3-weeks post op from my repair. So far, so good. I am told that this surgery can fail up to a year post op. Please take a proactive approach.

I am hoping to be the first person I have met to have a successful 1st repair!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.. You have to do whatever you feel is best, please educate yourself. There is a lot of info out there and many women here who will be happy to help you through this. This sight has saved my sanity.
Unread 12-05-2005, 07:12 AM
have met the doctor

Don't worry I have met my Doctor and consulted with him and had all tests done and will be seen 2 more docs on Jan3. Sorry I wasn't more clear. The doc has done several fistula repairs I am confidnent in him. I have also read all kinds of info on him he has writen many papers for Medical journals on various bladder problems. Thanks for the concern and next time I will be clearer with my post
Unread 12-05-2005, 09:28 PM

Thank Goodness Melinda,
I too thought you hadnt met the urologist. Glad to her you have a very experienced dr.
CJ,
Very happy to hear you are comming along okay. And on the first surgury!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.