do i have a right for my medical records | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

do i have a right for my medical records do i have a right for my medical records

Unread 11-30-2005, 07:22 PM
do i have a right for my medical records

i rang my gynae-well his secretary for a copy of my surgical/pathologist report.
my post op check up was with a doctor-but english wasnt their first language-and found it difficult getting answers and understanding her, anyway she told me that i have to send a document to explain why i want a a copy? i feel that i should have a copy but to be quite honest i dont have a strong enough reason why i need it-.Any tips anyone.???
Also i recieved a letter today to say that my reports have gone missing from a vehicle of theirs.(great)
It said my doctor will have a copy.
Is it wrong to ask for a copy of your records??.
Look forward to any replies sisters.xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2005, 07:56 PM

You should have the right to a copy of your reports. I, too had to sign a form indicating "why" I wanted them ... I just said "for personal file". Hope this helps.
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:02 PM

Thanks Karen-i just feel i have to explain myself,did you have to pay?
thanks
sunshine1971 x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2005, 08:16 PM

Hey sunshine1971,
The problem here is that all countries have different laws, fees etc so unless someone from the UK can answer, we may be giving you incorrect information.
In Oz I can apply for any medical files under freedom of information act. The hospital will have a copy of all of your reports, pathology etc, so you could try going through them.
As to why you want them. It's your body and you deserve to have them for what ever reason or for no reason. If you don't want to rub anyone up the wrong way then a good one was for personal file as Karen suggested.
I am on the same quest as you as I will not be told what was in my pathology report until my 6 week checkup and I want to know why my ovaries were removed.
Good Luck
Cassandra
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM

Sunshine: You definitely have a right to your medical records. I got all of mine and had to sign a form and also put the reason why as personal file. They cannot refuse you your medical records, they are YOURS. Good luck!
Unread 11-30-2005, 08:22 PM

Sunshine, no I didn't have to pay, but I'm in Canada, so I'm not sure about in the UK? I always request a copy of my records. One time I requested a copy of my complete file from my old gyn, that I did have to pay $25 for. But the last ones I requested from the cancer agency there was no charge. They should tell you up front if they will charge you for it. I hope you don't have to pay... good luck!
Unread 12-01-2005, 04:18 AM

Hello Sunshine,

I'm from the UK. I asked for my surgery report (after reading about American women having theirs)but was told they 'don't really do that'. I could have persisted, I suppose, but he sat next to me and read it out. It wasn't terribly detailed anyway.

My experience with asking for copies of other things, however, is that you usually have to pay. I had to pay for copies of an x-ray and MRI report once, because I didn't trust the NHS to get the right reports to the right place at the right time! I also remember being told that you can have a copy of all your medical reports, but you have to pay for them.
Hope that helps,

Miz
Unread 12-01-2005, 05:13 AM

In the US, you are entitled to a copy of your medical records under the HIPPA laws. I work in the medical records field and get requests everyday from people. Hospitals and doctors have a right to charge a reasonable fee for copies of the records and you will usually have to sign an authorization and most people just check the reason for wanting their records as (personal use). They are your records so I would make sure I got copies for future reference.

Best wishes, Carol (US) Indiana
Unread 12-01-2005, 05:43 AM

I am with Carol on this one. I have worked in the medical field for 20 years and have seen hundreds of requests for medical records as well.

Here in the US we have strict laws regarding personal medical records. We are entitled to copies, however, some doctors or hospitals will charge for them. Here in the US I believe the law is that they cannot charge more than $1.00 per page.

My doctor has always been great about providing me copies of reports, etc.

I hope this helps!
Unread 12-01-2005, 06:12 AM

I just asked my doctor for a copy of the surgical report. He took the records out and copied them himself and gave me a copy. I love that guy! No questions, no charge. It's your right to have them without having to explain why.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register