HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No ovaries - do I still menstruate? No ovaries - do I still menstruate?

Unread 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
No ovaries - do I still menstruate?

I swear, I'm going to find another dr.; I can't seem to get a real answer. I no longer have ovaries, 3 wks post op. I do have my uterus as well as my endometriosis . I am not on any hormone therapy. Will I get my period? I'm feeling bloated and crampy. Does anyone know?
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:19 PM

s Long4Tahoe

Wow! What a trip back to high school biology/anatomy.

The menstrual flow is generated when the egg from the ovary implants itself in the lining of the uterus and the egg is not fertilized. The egg, along with the lining is shed as the menstrual flow.

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe you should have periods... ??????

s
Unread 12-01-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks Lori, That's what I thought, but the nurse said she would have to get back to me. She's been with this dr for 20 years... she should know! The dr seems to not remember I have no ovaries now and I'm cramping and feeling bloated.... go figure. Could be I'm just doing too much 3 wks post op. I thought it was an easy question. The nurse has me confused!
Unread 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM

No Doubt! Hope they are not clueless should you need homone therepy!
Unread 12-01-2005, 07:34 PM

WOW! I'm amazed your Dr. never told you how a Hysterectomy works. But no you will not have a period. Also i don't think I would want her as my nurse if she couldn't answer one simple question as that.
Unread 12-02-2005, 05:32 AM

Well, finally got an answer. Actually because I do have my uterus I will continue to have a period. The lining of the uterus still forms monthly. I don't understand what tells your body to get rid of it but... with the uterus still in place I will indeed bleed. Bummer! I can't go on hormone therapy because I have endometriosis and dr said estrogen feeds endometriosis so if I stay off hormones for at least six months the endometriosis should go away. We shall see. I still wish they had taken everything. I see another surgery looming on my horizon. Thank you all for your replies! Have a blessed day!
Unread 12-02-2005, 03:38 PM

Tahoe,
So you did not have a hysterectomy but did have both ovaries removed. I guess still having periods would have caught me by surprise too since I guess I thought the ovaries triggered the cycle. But now that I think about it again, when women with nothing missing from reporductive tract take BC, they don't ovulate and still have periods. Guess we are never too old to learn something! You said you are 3 wks post op from having the BSO and that you are getting cramps, has that actually developed into a period yet? Guess I am wondering what the first one will be like as I am 2wks post-op from having one ovary removed. Thanks for any info your are willing to share Tahoe! MV
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:30 PM

Hi there

Just thought I would share this with you, I had both my ovaries removed in September but kept my uterus, I have to take estrogen and prog. As I have my uterus I have to have a bleed every month which is why I take the prog, I don't have endo though. Like you I believe I will in future have another surgery looming, my surgeon should have given me a full hyster at the time of my BSO, but nothing is simple, I have been off work 3 months with raging hormones and depression but things are getting better with the HRT. Sorry to hear you can't take it. I do think we are in a minority and treatment is not so straight forward as most HRT is geared to full hysters and not ovary removal only keeping uterus, apologies if I offend anyone, but this is certainly true for HRT in the UK, my GP simply doesn't know how to treat me, but on the upside I like to think I'm unique. I'm on quite high doses of HRT due to my age but the prog really gives me bad mood swings and in this respect I wish I had a hyster, but life is good 3 months on, best of luck and really hoping you get some answers.

Sarah
Unread 12-04-2005, 01:30 PM

Hi ladies,

Just to throw in another side to this: I had a BSO but kept uterus (for cervical cancer). I had to have chemoradiation as my bladder and uterus were too snuggly attached so my uterus couldn't be removed safely. I do take HRT in the form of a combined patch. I was told that as I still have a uterus I would need the combined HRT to protect me from uterine cancer

I have not had any periods for over a year now. I was told that the type of HRT I am on stops any withdrawal bleeds. However I have had some spotting recently and will be having a D&C on Tuesday as I have a thickened endometrium. I'm not sure the HRT I am taking will continue. I wonder what the alternative may be?

It does seem to be more confusing for us sisters who have had a BSO but not hysterectomy.

Love
Kayla
xxxxx
Unread 12-05-2005, 05:52 AM

Hello Raven, Nope... haven't gotten it yet. Dr said if I don't have it by the end of January to give a buzz. I know I'm blessed with health, but sometimes the ignorance or reluctance of medical staff to answer simple questions is mind boggeling! I'm so greatful for this site!

Depression and hot flashes are a result of no HRT. I started taking natural supplements, namely St Johns' Wart and Red Clover. They have been a life saver. I do not take the full amount recommended so I still get the night sweats but I'm not a raging lunatic anymore!

Thank you for the support!

Thank you all for your responses!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.