HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

should catheter hurt this bad? should catheter hurt this bad?

Unread 12-01-2005, 10:43 PM
should catheter hurt this bad?

Hi All,
I was diagnosed with another bladder infection Tuesday. Taking CIpro 3 days now. I am still having very bad pain in my urethra area. It burns and hurts so bad to sit. It is catching all the urine, not plugged up, no retention. It only hurts this bad when I have a bladder infection, shouldnt it be better after 3 days of treatment? Doesnt hurt quite as bad as the first day but unberable. I am going to take Tylenol PM and try to go to sleep. Struggling hard to work full time with this pain. My VVF repair surgury is Dec 20 and I couldnt the days. I know how important it is to be free of infection by then.
Had this thing it since Nov 1st and very tired of it. Usually Aleve works for the pain. It hurts about as bad as it did post op after my TAH/first attemopt bladder repair.
HELP! Trying to avoid going to the dr, I just got switched from Macro Bid to Cipro. Allergic to almost all other anti-biotics.
Any advice?
Hugs all my bladder-matter sisters,
Beth
Unread 12-01-2005, 11:41 PM

Beth, I am sorry you are hurting so bad. When I had my last bladder infection it hurt for quite a while, but then I found out I was retaining so I don't know what is going on with you. If only you can be ok to have your surgery on the 20th. I know you are concerned about that. Being allergic to the antibiotics limits you too. I sure hope you get some relief soon!
Sherry
Unread 12-02-2005, 07:02 AM

Beth,

Isn't it amazing how one teeny tiny area can cause so much pain?

I hated that foley cath with a vengeance. If you didn't have to work, I would tell you to just have the stupid thing removed and invest in a case or two of depends. But, until you have the cath removed, you won't know how bad the leak really is. I had to have my sp cath removed before fistula repair #2 because it was causing irritation/infection, so for a week or so before the surgery the cath came out and I stayed on antibiotics and diflucan until the surgery.

The other thing...there are different sizes of foleys. Do you know what size yours is? Maybe it could be replaced with the next smaller one. The balloon that holds the cath in is what keeps you from getting a leak around it, and if the next smaller size cath would keep your bladder draining OK, maybe it could be changed.

I know Dec 20 seems like a LONG way away. Isn't it funny how we go from dreading to have to have surgery to we can't wait to have it and be done with it??

Wishing you the best,
Dee
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:12 AM

Hi sisters,
I am better this morning. Off to work I go!
I took Benedryl and the swelling is down. My cath is a size 16. Without the cath all my urine spills right out. I cant afford more than one depend a day, thats really why I have the cath, that and the dr said its best to keep the bladder empty. He said there is a tiny possibility a fistula my size, 2cm would heal on its own. Its not healed. If I lay on my back and roll to the right I can cause it to leak.
The ER doc said I also have appendicitis. My whole right side is on fire. I think it still might be internal stitches from my TAH acting up but who knows. I laughed at the ER doc when he said that!
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:19 AM

Beth, so sorry that you're going through all this. What a pain in the you know what! I hated hated hated the foley. It hurt me so bad and I could barely sit. It just irritated my poor urethra. Ibruprofen was a little helpful, but not completely. I pray that this month goes quickly for you. I'm glad that you are feeling a little better today. Hope it continues.
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:46 AM

Hi Catlady,

I know it is expensive, but maybe you might consider going wtihout the stupid thing for a week before the surgery so you can make sure you are infection free for the surgery. I can't believe how strong you are... I could never have worn that thing for as long as you have. I stayed in bed all the times I did where it, I literally could not sit up with it in, little lone drive and a stick to boot! NO WAY, I couldn't do it. You take care and make the decisions that are best for you. It won't be long now..... I am praying for you.

CJ
Unread 12-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Exclamation - should catheter hurt this bad? Confusion

Hello Fistula Sisterhood!
I am happy to say I am MUCH better today. I have been taking Benedryl, it makes me sleepy but lessons the pain form the cath.
I am not sure if I could go to work without the foley because I have a strong emtional reaction to leaking. I wish I could afford to stay home for the week before surgury but I cant afford it.
I am scared of having an infection at the time of my repair and I know that would be very bad!
I am having second thoughts about going through this surgury with the same dr who did the failed repair. He has expressed to me with sincerity that he really wants to do this surgury. I asked him for a referral and he said he knows my body, knows whats wrong and has had success on VVF in the past. He is very young and very confident. He says he knows the new techniques. At my last visit we went into a conferance room and he spoke to me at least 20 minutes and told me not to give up on him. He was looking me right in the eye and it was impossible for me turn down this dr. He said his mentor, a older lady dr will be helping too.
I am starting to get anxious. I want to trust him.
What should I do? Put off my surgury and wear a foley forever? Mabey try to get in to see the lady Uro at his office?
It may take weeks to get in to see another dr and then I would have to cancel my surgury.
Another fistula sister told me a second opinion dr told her she should be infection free at the time of surgury and she sould be on chemotherapy and she doesnt even have cancer!
Confusion!
Unread 12-03-2005, 06:01 AM

Catlady,
Chemo doesn't make sense, chemo is another cause of fistulas. I would ask to have a consultation with the older female doc that is going to assist. She maybe able to make you feel better. I had all kinds of fears before the surgery. This doc you are seeing.... he did your first repair and it was huge right? Now you only have 2 cm tear, most of his repair held. Do whatever you feel is best, remember, you are much more educated about all this than before, trust your instincts. Don't let them take the foley out unless the cystogram comes back clean after, keep the bladder from stretching to soon and keep the faith that you will get through whatever comes. I know this is so scary and your emotions are all over the place, I still cry everyday, I am so paranoid of a fail, I think I will be for months to come.

HUGS
Unread 12-03-2005, 01:17 PM

Hello sisters,
CJ,
Thanks for pointing that out. My tear was huge and had 12 sticthes in a row then little stitches all over. I really dont want to wait and my insurance that startes Jan 1st isnt as good as my old ins and I am paid for the year and this surgury would just be the $250 co-pay. I know money should be such a big factor but it is.
I didnt think the chemo sounded right, but a fistula sister told me she is seeing a very experienced dr and thats what he told her. I suppose if we asked 10 differant drs we would get 10 differant answers?
I think you can rest easy now, when my 1st repair failed I knew right away. Just keep fallowing your drs orders and you wil heal just fine. I wish I had your dr!!
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:31 PM

Hi Catlady,
I was mistaken, its radiation that caused fistulas, not chemo. I heard from someone else about the chemo thing to, its supposed to prevent infection. I have been lucky, I have stayed infection free except for 1 yeast infection through all of this.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.