HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Anyone had breasts that hurt so bad they wanted to cry? Anyone had breasts that hurt so bad they wanted to cry?

Unread 12-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Anyone had breasts that hurt so bad they wanted to cry?

Wow, I feel like a whiner but, my poor breasts hurt so bad I just want to cry. I am 11 days away from surgery and I am sure that I will get a visit from Aunt Flo one more time. My breasts have been really sore for about ten days now. Never thought that I would want to start my period but I know that once it starts the severe breast pain will calm down. Once the bleeding and cramping is back I will be trading one pain for another. I guess this is just a reminder of why I am having this surgery! Anyone everhad to wear a bra to bed because of breast pain? Yesturday I wore two bras because it hurt so bad! Does anyone have any suggestions on relieving the pain? Help!
Unread 12-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I feel your pain!

I had that problem years ago and found out I had very "dense" breasts. Also had problems with fibroids in them and had several removed. My doctor at that time told me to avoid caffeine as much as possible as that contributes to the fibroids and pain. I was mortified as I was a caffeine junkie!

It took me awhile to ween myself off of caffeine and now I have only occasional pain in my breasts when I over indulge in chocolate. Yes, chocolate has caffeine!

Try putting a dry towel in the freezer for awhile and then wrap it around you. This helped me!

Unread 12-03-2005, 05:22 PM

While we're on the caffeine subject...I found surgery was the perfect time to get off of it - you know the "caffeine headache"??? Well, after surgery I was on pain meds, which took care of the headache pain, and I was able to get off caffeine and never even noticed I was making the transition.
Unread 12-03-2005, 07:24 PM

I have been having breast pain like yours also. My surgery is not until Jan. 25 so I have a ways to go. I do not have fibroids in my breasts but they are dense. The pain has been worse and longer in duration as my periods have worsened. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. YOu are about to become a princess soon and that will help. LOL. Take care and you will be on the other side soon!
Unread 12-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Caffeine and vitamin E

My breasts would hurt so much, it felt like two giant swollen bruises. My clothes almost hurt, and I'd even have periodic sharp, shooting pains. My doctor told me to take 400 IUs of Vitamin E each day (but I think that has a cumulative effect, so it won't "fix" anything overnight. But that and a move to decaf helped me tremendously. My breasts would get sore about a week before a period, but not every time, and not nearly so badly. I had my last period on 11/13, and my surgery is 12/12, so I'll be about ready to have another one at that point. If my breasts are going to start hurting before period that never will be, then it'll start happening within the next two or three days. Good luck to you. Oh yes, warm compresses helped too on occasion.
Unread 12-03-2005, 09:48 PM

Thanks Ladies, I know that I wont have to wait to long. It has not been uncommon for my breasts to hurt for up to two weeks before a period, ugh! This has been going on now for about almost two weeks. I am trying to find comfort in the fact that this will be the last time I have to go through this. LadyBama we are haveing surgery a few days apart. I am having my pre-op appt. on the day of your surgery. I just can't wait to be done with this and on the road to recovery. I am going to go to bed now and make good use of my heating pad...Thanks so much...Christine
Unread 12-04-2005, 06:36 AM

Yeah, mine hurt the week before my period too. Actually, I'm "overdue" for it now, and that's pretty wierd. I wonder if my nerves are to blame? Or, if I get to go into surgery with it. THAT will be the big "good riddens"!
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:27 AM

Yep - I used to have severe pain in my breasts, but my gyno convinced me to quit the heavy caffeine habit. I went the decaf coffee way (though I still drink a lot of Diet Coke w/caffeine) and it ended the pain. I couldn't believe the difference! That was a couple of years ago and I've been pain-free ever since.
Unread 12-04-2005, 09:24 AM

I used to wear bras to bed b/c of the pain when I was a teenager. At the time my mother had us (her, me and my sister) using wild yam cream (it has natural hormones in it) and I used to rub that on them. It seemed to help me. Hope that helps!
Unread 12-04-2005, 09:46 AM

I actually wear a sleep bra to bed at night...I feel weird without it. It just slips over you head and is real stretchy. It gives just a little support and keeps me from "flopping" around. My breasts before my, hopefully last period, felt like they were going to explode! Mine are also very fibrous and I switched to light coffee(50% less caffine) Hopefully we will both feel better after surg. Patty

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.