HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

How long can I expect OTC bio identical hormone creams to begin working ? How long can I expect OTC bio identical hormone creams to begin working ?

Unread 12-03-2005, 06:33 PM
How long can I expect OTC bio identical hormone creams to begin working ?

Hello,
I live in a rural area and don't have a dr. that does bio or natural creams. only synthetics. I cannot take those! So, because I feel strongly about the bio identicals I put myself on a monthly trial experiment:
I bought a brand of OTC natural progesterone cream and tried it for 3 weeks last month and got off for about 5 days as it said. I felt improved.
Can anyone give me a ball park figure as to how long it will take to reach an optimum level that I feel good? I have heard about 3 months until I see real results.

This month, I am adding some OTC estriol cream every other day and natural progesterone everyday (only once though) I will see if i feel improved or worser with the added estriol. At this point if I had to make a judgement call now I'd just use the natural progesterone cream.
Unread 12-03-2005, 09:59 PM

Ann,
I don't think that there is an OTC estriol cream, it may say it's used to relieve menopausal symptoms, but I seriously doubt that it contains any actual type of estrogen. It's been my understanding that you can only obtain estrogen via a prescription. As I am curious, do you have a specific name of the product you are using?

Also, Estriol is the weakest of the estrogens and isn't as effective in taking care of menopausal symptoms as Estradiol.

I would think you should see a gradual improvement of your symptoms before 3 months. The exact time frame is hard to say. But yes, full improvement can take a bit longer.

Unread 12-04-2005, 04:56 AM

Hi Kim M.,
I went to <Oops! Please don't link commercial websites. Thank you!> There I took the online hormone tests for estrogen and progesterone to give me an idea what I am low in. I was low in both.
The brand I use is simply called "Estriol" cream. Dr. Mills who founded this company says this product is hard to find. I assumed it was an estrogen as I believed the natural progesterone I bought from them was also "real" The estriol cream seems to work. If I use too much I get the symptoms of estrogen dominance so something is working. I have found another brand of estriol from Guardian Angel Foods.It was stronger and I didn't like it as much. They both run around $30-45. Thats the only two I have found after much searching. NOw I'm kind of questioning any hormone cream I try. Are they all real?
It seems every product is different. Is there one or two really good high quality OTC brands of natural progesterone cream on the market? I went back to the old brand of natural progesterone cream I got from alternativemedicine network and it seems too strong for me. I had used it before the surgery. What brand of progesterone do you or any of the other hostesses use? (or are you not allowed to say?)
The brand of progesterone I use is called "happy pms" and I like it.

I said in a much earlier post that I tried Estrace vaginal cream. Only to be used once a week to build up my vaginal tissues. It burned fairly bad as it said it could on the tube so I couldn't bring myself to put in in again. Can I put it on the labial tissues you think instead of inside or is that a no - no?
If i kept using it over time would the burning stop?
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:39 AM

I'm sorry, I was incorrect on the OTC estriol cream. You can get estriol over the counter, but you can't get estradiol over the counter. It still is the weakest of the estrogens and usually isn't very effective for relief of menopausal symptoms. We are all different though and if you've tried other things, it certainly isn't going to hurt to give this a try.

I haven't used any of the vaginal creams so don't have personal experience with them. If it burned it may be that you were allergic to the base. Or if you were having a dryness issue perhaps you had some cracking skin and the cream got in there? Just a thought.

A compounding pharmacist could make up a cream for you according to your needs. They have many different bases to choose from.

Unread 12-04-2005, 04:40 PM

Estriol can be purchased OTC, but i have a hard time finding it in an actual store here, and i live in a large metroplex. I have seen estriol on the net, but so often it is combined with progesterone, so be careful that your estriol does not have progesterone in it. (common dose is 0.75 esrtiol and 25 mg progesterone with one pump)
My Biest cream is 80/20 with estriol being the 80%. I am on a .625 dose. My doc may need to increase it , b/c I have been on it a week or so and even with Vagifem , I am experiencing vaginal burning and sorenes again. So i am probably not getting enough estrogen. My doc only does estradial levels, so i may be looking for a new doc. So many here will not prescribe the biodentical hormones b/c they say they are not FDA approved. Estradial is FDA approved , but the combo compounded drug apparently is not (per my doc) Please someone correct me if this is wrong, i only know what doc said.
I have read quite a bit about estriol on the net. aparently they use it in other parts of the world (i'm in USA) and women seem quite happy with it. It is OTC here, but hard to find. I found one German site that has it in in 2mg pill form. I could not read much but was able to discern that it was a pharmacy page, not a retail page.
Amar, could you send me the link to the site you get yours from? even with a google search, I found only one site that sells it without progesterone. maybe i'm not typing in the right words.
I am afraid that if the big pharmacy companies catch on people use these things and they actually work, they will make progesterone otc dose a prescription drug. Or they wil make estriol a prescription dose.
You did not say if you still had your ovaries? From what i have gathered from reading, a dose of 2-8 mgs range is what it takes to stop hot flashes with estriol if you have no ovaries. It is very helpful with vagianl burning aned other urethal issues. it also makes a great facial cream. (from what i have read, and my experience) the amount u use for a facial cream is extremely small.
vali
Unread 12-04-2005, 07:57 PM
estriol purchase in US

Amar,
I, too, would like to receive the link you have found for estriol. I have been searching too & found a S.African source and British, I think, in pill form. I'd much prefer to find a reliable supplier here of course.
Thanks.
Unread 12-05-2005, 03:58 PM

Vali,
I don't think I'm allowed to put the web address on this site as it is a link. It was deleted in my previous message. IF I give you my email address I can tell you from there:
<Oops! e-mail address removed for privacy/safety concerns. Please contact each other using the PM/e-mail functions which are found by clicking the screen name. Thank you!>
email me and I will tell you what I have found and use!
Unread 12-05-2005, 04:01 PM

calmstorm,
Hi Like I told Vali in my recent post, I can't give the web site on here as it is considered a link. If you email me I will be glad to tell you from there.
<Oops! e-mail address removed for privacy/safety concerns. Please contact each other using the PM/e-mail features found by clicking on the screen name. Thank you!>
I will wait to hear from you.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.