HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

vagina sewn half closed vagina sewn half closed

Unread 12-04-2005, 10:08 AM
vagina sewn half closed

Is this what they refer to as the vaginal cuff? It appears that my vagina is sewn half closed. My stitches seem thick. It itches. I had a tvh and a rectocele repair 3 days ago. Still no bm, although I feel like I need to go. This stinks. I feel worse than before my hyst. My doc said he didn't need to see me for 3.5 weeks. I just don't feel right. Anyone else feel like this?
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM
vagina sewn half closed

if you dont feel right you should definately call the doc!
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:26 AM
vagina sewn half closed

Hi run2run, I will try to explain the vaginal cuff, the cuff is on the inside, it is where the cervix was connected to the vagina. When the dr removes the cervix and uterus, he closes the vagina,the sutures are usually on the inside, I have been told that it is similar to the end a of sock. I think that you need to call and talk to your dr, and he should be able to explain to you why the vagina looks like it does. I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Blessings and 's, Carol
Unread 12-04-2005, 10:59 AM
vagina sewn half closed

(((run2run))) Your surgery was only three days ago... chances are that you have a lot of swelling down there, and things don't look the way they eventually will once the swelling goes down and you're healed. Still, if you are concerned you should call the DR - that's what they're there for.

The bm thing takes a while. It's different for everyone, but I was about average - had the first one five days after my surgery. It hurt some because of the A&P repairs, but wasn't really that bad. What helped was rinsing the area afterwards with a stream of warm water. You can do this with a plastic squirt bottle filled with water (sometimes they give them to you at the hospital), or a bidet if you have one. Some things you can do to try to encourage things to "move along" ... drink tons of water, walk frequently, eat things you know help you go (for me it's bran muffins, hot black coffee, ice cream, and the most effective of all, warm prune juice). Don't try taking any kind of laxative without your DR's approval - it can be too harsh at first. Also, if your DR OK'd them, stool softeners can help... I took one after every meal. Again, if you're at all concerned, do call the DR's office and let them know.

Remember, three days is very very early in your recovery.... most of us feel pretty crummy then, but things have a way of getting better with time

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:23 PM
vagina sewn half closed

You are very very early in recovery. There is a lot of internal swelling with a TVH and rectocele repair. I remember feeling like I was swollen shut. Is does get better day by day, but it took weeks for me. You need to be resting as much as you can right now. Drink lots of water and eat fruit and high fiber foods. Take a stool softener to get things moving again. I didn't have my first bm until about 5-6 days after surgery. Take it easy.
Unread 12-04-2005, 12:26 PM
vagina sewn half closed

I felt rotton 3 days post op. I was swollen, tired, and my mind was in a fog.
It does get better. I am 3 weeks post op. I have good days and I have days where i lay around in bed because Im tired.
Give your body a chance to heal and get over the shock of this major surgery.
If you have concerns, call the doctor. Peace of mind is the best thing to have.
Im so sorry you are felling bad. I even have a while to go before I can expect consistant days of feeling good. I will keep you in my prayers.
Unread 12-04-2005, 01:37 PM
vagina sewn half closed

I was told by my DR that the magic # for bm is somewhere around day 6 and sure enough that is when It finally happened.

Lots of water, a prescribed stool softener and I used Citricel (over the counter fiber).

You'll feel better, it's so scary to have that first bm!
Unread 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM
vagina sewn half closed

I have a vaginal cuff and it is on the inside. My worst day of my recovery was a week and a half after my surg. You are still very early in recovery but things do get better. You may want to call and find out why your vagina looks half sewn. They may have told you in the hospital but if your like me, you may only remember bits and pieces. I would just call the dr and ask. You deserve to know, since it is your body! The other sisters have covered pretty good what you need to be doing, this is your time to rest and you will need it. Good luck and I am praying for you!
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM
repairs

My nurse said "5 days before a bowel movement with a rectocele repair".

Three days out I was just coming home from the hospital. "Down there" I looked like I was colored in on one side with a black magic marker (another poster described this as a "camel toe") and the stitches looked like Frankenstein's monster.

Two words: ICE and IBUPROFEN.

One more for good measure: REST!

P.S. The bruising and swelling substantially subsided after around 2 weeks. The rectocele repair still hurts.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.