HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Got turned down for long term disability insurance!! Got turned down for long term disability insurance!!

Unread 12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Got turned down for long term disability insurance!!

Last month, I signed up at work for long-term disability insurance; you know, the kind that kicks in and pays part of your salary if you can't work for some reason. I thought that since I'm getting older and starting to fall apart here, that might be a good thing to invest in.

Well, I got the reply in the mail today and they denied my application because I need surgery for dysplasia! Sheesh, I guess I shouldn't have been so honest. (They'd probably freak if they knew about the vaginal cuff tumor they found on ultrasound yesterday!)

That's just so not fair. I mean, what if something should happen and I can't work? What on earth would I do?

Can I appeal? Would it even help?
Unread 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM

I hear your frustration. My husband and I restructured our mortgage in April 2004 and went with a different lender. When we applied for mortgage insurance I was turned down because I had an abnormal pap - it hadn't even been investigated yet! I fortunately do have life insurance in place already that I can bump up without any kind of testing or health requirements. I stay at home so the disability insurance doesn't really apply to me.

Insurance ***** sometimes. I was reading on another board that it could affect travel insurance as well. Guess it's a good thing I don't have any travel plans....

Karen
Unread 12-06-2005, 10:30 PM

If it comes down to it and you have worked a long enough time, or been married to someone working for long enough, Social Security Disability is a sort of last resort safety net. Not much, but better than nothing. All my best to you. Hope things work out.
Kate
Unread 12-06-2005, 10:36 PM

Lisa
Wondering if you could get it if the dysplasia is a preexisting condition and they would not cover that for so long. Just my thinking here.

Looks like I am going to have to read the travel insurance information better from now on also. We have taken the insurance twice, for larger more expensive trips.

Jane
Unread 12-07-2005, 02:38 AM

Insurance Companies won't normally insure you for pre-existing illnesses, be it for travel or for being unable to work. (They're in the game for making money, not paying it out).

I had a holiday booked for 9 weeks post my TAH/BSO (it had been booked before my illness). I declared this to the Insurance Company, who immediately told me that I wouldn't be covered for any problems on the holiday that related to my gyn problems so I had to take out separate insurance for this, with a different company.

Geraldine
Unread 12-07-2005, 03:40 AM

A few months after my husband passed away in 2001 and before my cancer diagnosis, I enrolled in a disability insurance plan via an independent rep that came to my work place. I work for the Fed Gov and in my State Fed workers do not participate in the State disability program, so thought this was a good idea considering I was now the only financial supporter of my household. Well needless to say, I literally had to pull teeth to collect on this plan!! I was out of work 8 weeks and was back to work nearly a month before I collected my first check!!! I will not give up the plan now as the ruckus I caused to collect I doubt this company will mess with me further, but had I known in advance the frustrations I would encounter in trying to collect, I would have been better served to put the premium funds in an emergency account to draw on as needed.
If you do find a plan that will accept you, be sure you read the fine print because many are not what they are presented to be.
Unread 12-07-2005, 06:29 AM

Insurance!!! It's a PITA. I got turned down for long-term care insurance because I was taking iron supplements for anemia caused by excessive bleeding with periods. I also got a higher rate for other insurance because I disclosed that I took meds for high blood pressure. Now if it had been untreated I'd be at a higher risk, but what the heck, if you can be turned down they will do it.

I finally got long-term care insurance and now I'm glad I got it when I did. I would not be able to get it today because of my cancer diagnosis even though the risk of it returning is getting less and less. But the diagnosis is still there and will always be a problem.

Linda
Unread 12-07-2005, 08:59 AM

Luckily, since I was single, I had purchased both short-term and long term disability policies before I was diagnosed with ovca. Some of my former co-workers signed up for disability insurance after they found out I was diagnosed with ovca at age 36.

In your case, I would appeal the insurance companies decision. I thought that the rules for group insurance (work policies) were different from individual policies. I would also tell them how long you've had dysplasia and ask what their rules are for pre-existing conditions.

If you worked long enough and you meet their definition of disabled, Social Security Disability (SSD) will pay you 50% of the salary you were making just before you became disabled. Someone posted that you can get SSD if you've been married to someone a specific length of time, but I don't believe that is true-I think that is just for the regular Social Security retirement benefits-not SSD.

Good luck!

Stephanie
Unread 12-07-2005, 09:10 AM

Social Security disability is what I would suggest to you.

You may want to appeal the insurance companies decision, but my guess is that they are considering you a high risk at this point.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with this.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on how you are making out.
Unread 12-07-2005, 02:51 PM

Shashi: I would suggest that you ask the company if you applied after the surgery, would they accept your application. Clearly they have a concern that you are due to have a major procedure right after the insurance kicks in. In the long run, it is good to have long-term disability as a supplement to SSD because SSD does not cover your entire salary. Ask to speak to a supervisory and see if you can apply again afterwards. Good Luck

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway