HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Recovery Time for TVT or TOT Recovery Time for TVT or TOT

Unread 12-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Recovery Time for TVT or TOT

Hello Ladies,

Would any of you be able to tell me the recovery time for this procedure? I have been having leaking problems since two weeks after my hysterectomy. I have to go in Dec. 20th for the urodynamics test (I just wonder what other embarrassing things they can think of to do to us). Anyway, if I just have to have the TVT or TOT procedure done, what kind of recovery time can I expect? My daughter is expecting her first baby (due Jan. 25th - she thinks he will be here a little sooner) and I really want to be there for her and be feeling OK. Thanks in advance!!
Unread 12-11-2005, 07:12 PM

I had my TVT done on Sept. 30th. It took me about 2 weeks until I started feeling good again. I had retention problems and had to have the sling cut, on Nov. 22nd. I know some women have to come home with a cath and all that fun stuff, so that might be something you want to consider. At 2 weeks post op, feeling good and I can pee!!! LOL!
Good luck with all the testing! It can be embarassing. When I went to the uro/gyn for the first time and saw there special "chair" for the testing, I about passed out.
Good luck!
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:09 AM

Thanks Nitnew for your information. Sound like you were feeling well after two weeks. Did it hurt much when you had the sling cut and was there also a recovery time for that or did your DR. just do that in the office? I am just so apprehensive about anything they want to do to me now. I will post again when I find out what my Dr. suggests. I really don't like this leaking, but another procedure scares me. Thanks again!!
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Recovery time for TVT or TOT

Hello,

Have you had testing to see where you are leaking from? I too had a leak, but it was not incontinence. Have you had any urodynamic testing yet? Good luck. I had my hyst on 08/09/05 and repair done just a week ago on 12/05. Please keep in touch.
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:50 AM

Its 2 to 4 weeks depending. My uro gave me that but the hysterectomy took over the weeks. And I actually had to have most of the weeks for my recovery. I came home with my cath and had that for a week then for the next week I had to self cath with a little tube you insert into your uretha. So I would have taken up the 4 weeks. I had the urdynamics test done it's embarrssing. But after all the things they have done I dont even care anymore.
Unread 12-12-2005, 11:04 AM

I am having the sling on the 20th, but I had the urodynamic testing last week. I was scared to death, but it really wasn't painful...just embarrassing. One thing helped me...have them put some anesthetic on the catheters...I had very little pain after that. They can also give you some meds afterwards if you experience any burning. Good luck!
Its not really that bad.
Unread 12-12-2005, 11:11 AM

Regarding the "embarassment". My grandfather always said "Leave your pride at the door and pick it up on the way out". This never seemed to make much sense until about my 3rd child's delivery. Each time something requires those tests that we all put off until the problem is worth the embarassment can be sufficed with the above. We all still feel the embarassment, but the people doing the test - this is their job. They really do not care.

There are all kinds of things that can be done. I would suggest that if you are not too far out from your initial surgery and still have any pain meds left, use a dose. Between the postion they wish to put you in and the test itself it does help in addition to the anesthetic applied locally.
Unread 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM

Thanks ladies for the information and the laughs. I think we all need humor with our experiences or we would just explode.

I am pretty sure the leaking is from the bladder. I had stage 3 uterine prolapse and my uterus was acting like a plug. When the plug was removed that is when the problem of leaking became apparent. I do go to the Dr. Dec 20th for the urodynamic testing (can't wait LOL) and I guess find out for sure. My husband wants me to have anything fixed immediately, but just needed to know what recovery time was needed because of daughter expecting next month.

Martigras, let me know how your surgery goes and how your recovery is. Sending you and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Tah080905, your grandfather was soooo right "Leave your pride at the door and pick it up on the way out". I love that and will keep repeating it to myself on trip for testing. You would think embarassment would go away, but it doesn't. I also had three children (although many years ago), but just can't get used to everyone taking a look!!!!!!

Thanks Ladies!!!
Unread 12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Recovery Time

Nan - Taking a look, let me give you a good one.
Try going for urodynamic testing one week after a TAH that bled out. Parts were purple beyond belief and although humorous is definitely not seen too often to the extent I had. The term "leave pride at the door" then took on a new meaning for me. I have 4 kids, but luckily no long term. I am too young to be a grandma today.

My husband also wanted to get everything fixed, but sometimes this is easier said than done. I have been leaking in, leaking out and there are holes that we might not even know about yet. I have to go for more urodynamic testing right before X-mas. I particularly like the indigo carmine dye test - nothing like peeing blue. The tests where there is a video also help to detract, just tell yourself you are interested and watch the tube and not the personnel. It will go quicker.

Keep smiling.
Unread 12-12-2005, 12:49 PM

One more thing, as far as recovery: I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 12 whole weeks after having my TOT sling put in. Yes, that's 12 entire weeks. You risk ruining the sling if you lift heavy things so be prepared if you do this procedure. Be sure to ask your urologist or urogynecologist if you have it done what your lifting restriction is and for how long. Other than that, I have to tell you, even though I had complications, I am so very glad I had it done because being without the stress incontinence is the best thing I have done for me in forever. I also thought the urodynamic testing was not any worse than giving birth was in the embarassment department. I did give birth 6 times so that may have had something to do with it. The relief at no longer leaking was so worth it for me. You just have to decide for yourself. My vote was Go For It and I did.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.