HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Reply

Why is my hair falling out!!! Why is my hair falling out!!!

Thread Tools
  #1  
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

It has been about 7 weeks since my surgery. I have started to notice the last few days that my hair is falling out!! I have noticed articles in the past on the HysterSisters site...but i didn't pay much attention. Now i can't find the articles. Help!!

I would also like to add that if it had not been for this web site i would not have a clue about a lot of the things i have gone through before and after my surgery. Your advise is fantastic and i am so grateful to whoever created this site. I have told many women about the great HysterSisters site. Thankyou so much.
Love Deb
  #2  
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

You can search this site easily. Go up to just below your name on the right side, just near the top of the white area of your screen. There are three options on the purple bar to click on. Click on search, then fill in hair loss, click go. That will bring you to some past threads about hair loss.

Other than the hair, how is your recovery going? Well, I hope.

take care
  #3  
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:05 PM
hair

My hair has been falling out since I had my last child, 13 yrs. ago. I am really surprised I am not bald by now. I found out mine was due to hypothyriodism. I have noticed this past week that on the top of my head feels and looks oily. I have dry hair due to dying. I have tried washing with and w/o conditoner, thinking it could be that. Anybody got any ideas as to what this is. My family is tried of finding my hairs everywhere and so am I. I comb it and OMG, mostly when it is wet.
  #4  
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

Major surgery like ours causes alot of stress to the body. My hair has been falling out consistently for the last month or so, filling my hairbrush. My hairdresser told me it was surgery trauma. If you've been through major things you'll notice different lengths of your hair - almost like sprouts/wispy things. That's your hair recovering. I've noticed my hair loss (and its rare for me) is related to three major medical times in my life. Hope this helps a little.
  #5  
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

My hair used to be 2 1/2 feet long. I cut 14 inches off it a couple weeks ago after consulting w/my hairdresser and deciding to take some of the weight off to help the roots. It was falling out in handfuls (no exageration), oily -even on the same day as washing, and the ends were dry and breaking. He explained to me that this is caused by the drugs/narcotics we took or were given with the surgery and recover. Here are some of the things he suggested:
Use a separate shampoo and conditioner for your hair type. Purchase QUALITY products, preferrably from a salon. The salon conditioners do not contain wax.
Massage your scalp on a daily basis, starting at the nape and working up and forward, using your finger tips, not fingernails.
Do not put conditioner on your scalp, only on the ends of your hair (basically, if you put your hair up in a ponytail, only the tail part).
Once a week, deep condition by applying conditioner to hair, put it under a shower cap and wrap with a towel. Let it sit for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water (not hot).
Brush hair with a natural bristle brush, not a plastic one
Don't wash your hair everyday, even though you want to. You can rinse it but if you wash it, you are actually creating more oil in your hair.

The cleaning staff at the hospital would come by my room to let me know they would be by in 15-30 minutes to sweep the floor if I wanted to comb out my hair. It kind of freaked the poor lady out the first time I combed it out (after sleeping with it in a braid for 3 days) and she found a pile the same size as what she considered to be a small animal.

Don't know if any of this will work for you. I am still trying out things. I have stopped putting conditioner on my scalp and I have noticed that it isn't as oily up there. I have also noticed this week that there are little tiny short hairs (about 3/4 inch long) sticking out everywhere on my head. I remember from a previous stressful time when my hair was falling out that it does grow back so here's to hoping that all these little sticky out things will continue to grow

Autumn
  #6  
Unread 12-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

Thanks for the info. !! I am a night hawk. I just finished watching Cinderella Man. Wow..it was good. But..since my surgery i sure do cry a lot when i watch movies!! LOL My hair is already thin at the top. It's not to bad. But i don't want it to get any worse. It thinned out after i had my daughter..ummm 22 years ago!! ANYWAY..when i started to notice a lot of hair in the bath tub...i started to get scared.
I haven't been taking my vitamins lately and i think i better smarten up.
I am feeling ok. I am still really tired all the time. Better than last week. But .....i do a little more than usual one day and the next day i'm exhausted. I really do try to take it easy..but with Christmas and moving in 6 months. My husbands computer bank site is moving to Barrie and so are we. IT's been hectic. I had my six week check up last week and he wouldn't answer any of my questions that i had all ready to ask. I don't know what i would do without this web site. I have made some new very good friends over the weeks on here. I don't start back to work until January 20th. I am a personal support worker and EI gave me three more weeks off...i was shocked when they asked me if i wanted more time off!! But...hey..i'll take it. I had a hyst. and a bladder tuck..the bladder part is working great. My hyst. part is going slower than i thought for recovery.
So...how are you doing?? and thanks for the tip for looking up hair loss.
Debbie D. <oops! e-mail address removed>
  #7  
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi ester!! thanks for the info. Deb dld93 @rogers.com

  Quote:
Originally Posted by ester 6" tall
You can search this site easily. Go up to just below your name on the right side, just near the top of the white area of your screen. There are three options on the purple bar to click on. Click on search, then fill in hair loss, click go. That will bring you to some past threads about hair loss.

Other than the hair, how is your recovery going? Well, I hope.

take care
Hi Deb...thanks for the info..i replied to your quote but it didn't do right to you it went to the bottom of the thread!! oops!! Take care Deb
  #8  
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

Hi...i went into shock when i was in recovery..by blood pressure was 60/30..they thought i was having a heart attack. I was shaking so hard ..my whole body ...i thought i was going to fall off the bed. I went as cold as ice. They wrapped me in hot blankets and monitored my heart...it was ok...but they kept me for 5 hours. They said it was a reaction to the anesthetic.
I also got the flu...when i came home from the hosp. ..and that lasted almost 2 weeks. SO....you are right...my body has been through a lot!! .. I never thought of it that way. Thanks Deb D. ...Ajax ON. <oops! e-mail address removed>
  #9  
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

  Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothtimes
Major surgery like ours causes alot of stress to the body. My hair has been falling out consistently for the last month or so, filling my hairbrush. My hairdresser told me it was surgery trauma. If you've been through major things you'll notice different lengths of your hair - almost like sprouts/wispy things. That's your hair recovering. I've noticed my hair loss (and its rare for me) is related to three major medical times in my life. Hope this helps a little.
Hi...i went into shock after the surgery. I forgot about that..must have blocked it out!! I wonder why!! My blood pressure dropped 60/30 and i started to shake and they had to wrap me in hot blankets. I also got the flu after i came home from the hosp. SO...the shock was from the anesthetic and i imagine getting the flu didn't help. Thanks for the help. Debbie <oops! e-mail address removed>
  #10  
Unread 12-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Why is my hair falling out!!!

  Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Moon
My hair used to be 2 1/2 feet long. I cut 14 inches off it a couple weeks ago after consulting w/my hairdresser and deciding to take some of the weight off to help the roots. It was falling out in handfuls (no exageration), oily -even on the same day as washing, and the ends were dry and breaking. He explained to me that this is caused by the drugs/narcotics we took or were given with the surgery and recover. Here are some of the things he suggested:
Use a separate shampoo and conditioner for your hair type. Purchase QUALITY products, preferrably from a salon. The salon conditioners do not contain wax.
Massage your scalp on a daily basis, starting at the nape and working up and forward, using your finger tips, not fingernails.
Do not put conditioner on your scalp, only on the ends of your hair (basically, if you put your hair up in a ponytail, only the tail part).
Once a week, deep condition by applying conditioner to hair, put it under a shower cap and wrap with a towel. Let it sit for 15 minutes then rinse with warm water (not hot).
Brush hair with a natural bristle brush, not a plastic one
Don't wash your hair everyday, even though you want to. You can rinse it but if you wash it, you are actually creating more oil in your hair.

The cleaning staff at the hospital would come by my room to let me know they would be by in 15-30 minutes to sweep the floor if I wanted to comb out my hair. It kind of freaked the poor lady out the first time I combed it out (after sleeping with it in a braid for 3 days) and she found a pile the same size as what she considered to be a small animal.

Don't know if any of this will work for you. I am still trying out things. I have stopped putting conditioner on my scalp and I have noticed that it isn't as oily up there. I have also noticed this week that there are little tiny short hairs (about 3/4 inch long) sticking out everywhere on my head. I remember from a previous stressful time when my hair was falling out that it does grow back so here's to hoping that all these little sticky out things will continue to grow

Autumn
Hi...thanks for the kind words and info. Wow...you must have been scared when it fell out like that. I have noticed my hair falling out for the last little while and it freaked me out. I went into shock after the surgery and then i got the flu which lasted almost 2 weeks..so i guess it didn't help either. I hope you are doing ok!! Thankyou so much. Deb D. <oops! e-mail address removed>
Reply

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.




Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
12 Replies, Last Reply 10-05-2008, Started By taylordog
2 Replies, Last Reply 04-30-2007, Started By rodswife
20 Replies, Last Reply 06-13-2006, Started By puggielover
9 Replies, Last Reply 03-23-2006, Started By TammyLingo
1 Reply, Last Reply 07-18-2005, Started By bsmootchie
8 Replies, Last Reply 02-26-2005, Started By bluebird56
3 Replies, Last Reply 12-05-2004, Started By Kia_Breizzze
4 Replies, Last Reply 07-21-2004, Started By kitkatcb
8 Replies, Last Reply 06-16-2004, Started By I am Cricket
3 Replies, Last Reply 03-19-2002, Started By debbiemw
2 Replies, Last Reply 08-30-2001, Started By wink
1 Reply, Last Reply 06-02-2001, Started By bamasmiles
1 Reply, No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause
4 Replies, Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)
1 Reply, No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause
6 Replies, No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause
14 Replies, No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause
3 Replies, No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause
2 Replies, No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause
11 Replies, No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause


Hysterectomy News

October 30,2014

CURRENT NEWS

To Feature YOUR Hysterectomy Story
Do you enjoy writing? Do you have a hysterectomy story you would like to share in a bigger way with the HysterSisters co ... News Archive


I am a HysterSister

HYSTERECTOMY STORIES

Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours

FOLLOW US


Your Hysterectomy Date


CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  


Advertisement


Featured Videos

Dr. Mollie Cartwright answers questions about emotional...

Dr. Mini answers question: Will sex be different follow...

Dr. Mini answers questions for patients about intimacy ...

Dr. Joseph Valenti answers questions from recent hyster...

HysterSisters App Store Android app on Google Play


Advertisement