HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

general anesthesia, pain killers, when do they leave your body? general anesthesia, pain killers, when do they leave your body?

Unread 04-12-2001, 12:13 PM
general anesthesia, pain killers, when do they leave your body?

I had surgery 15 days ago, and I am recovering well.
My problem is my reaction of extreme nausea and
vomiting from both the general anesthesia and the
pain killers. Four days after surgery and a trip to ER for
fluids, I was forced off all pain killers.
I am still having problems with a very limited apetitite,
and I am not always able to eat solid food. How long does
it take for the anesthesia and pain killers to completely
leave my body? How I long for a good meal!!!
Thanks for your information.
Unread 04-12-2001, 12:47 PM

Hi Locki,

I'm sorry you had such a bad time with pain meds and anesthesia!

Everyone will have a different rate of metabolising pain meds and anesthesia out of their system. I know pain meds don't leave the body right away (not sure how long they can remain), and as for anesthesia, it can be found in trace amounts months afterward, but that doesn't mean you will suffer from the effects that long.

Drinking lots of water and moderate walking will help flush your system sooner. I hope that your appetite comes back soon! I'll bet another week or two will make a big difference.

My very best to you,

Linda
Unread 04-12-2001, 12:55 PM

Have you called your doctor's office to report this? They might be able to give you antinausea medication to help you out while you're waiting for things to sort out. I think often we're too hesitant to call the doctor's office for help.
Unread 04-12-2001, 04:24 PM

Hey, there was a sisters' advice I took when I was a week or two post op, and it helped me a lot. I sent my mom to the local health food store for MILK THISTLE tea and capsules. The milk thistle is supossed to help the liver metabolize faster, and flush impurities out. I drank at least 2 cups of the tea per day, and followed the directions on the bottle of caps. I sure felt better within a couple of days!
I know what you mean about longing to eat some good food, it was about 3 weeks before I had any kind of appetite. *Blech*
If anything gets worse, or concernes you please call your doctor, if for nothing else, peace of mind.
Good luck!
Ami
PS...hope I am not overstepping the 'medical advice' bounderies here...this is what I had read about and simply what worked for me!
Unread 04-12-2001, 06:05 PM
Postop Affects of Anesthesia

I had a TAH in Feb. of 2000 for uterine fibroids. (age 42) Anyway, I asked the anesthesiologist how long the anesthesia would stay in my body? He said now days the drugs are more soluable, and the drugs should be out of my system in a few days - 4 - 5. After discharge I had no postop pain, so took no pain meds duirng recovery. Positive, true story!
Unread 04-12-2001, 06:16 PM
I agree; Call the Doc

I feel so bad for you, I also had a bad reaction to the anethesia and the one shot of Demoral the nurse insisted I needed, even though I was not really in pain. I really had no appetite either, and tried to eat, and after about 6 hours after being home I threw up everything, and contined to throw up well into the next day, unable to even keep any clear liquids down. I called the Dr., and he prescribed Promethazine. Shortly after I started to feel better, and have my healthy appetite back.

Maybe there is something that will help you.

I have also read that Milk Thistle helps stimulate new liver cells. In "The Green Pharmacy" the author recommends Camomile, Peppermint and Ginger to help settle your stomach. These are just my opinions and ideas, I am not a Dr.; you shopuld consult a Dr. about all medications regardless of where they come from.

Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy eating again.

Lynne

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.