HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

size of uterus (fibroids) size of uterus (fibroids)

Unread 12-22-2005, 11:44 AM
size of uterus (fibroids)

Sorry to be so repetitive, but I keep on noticing descriptions of women's uterus and fibroid sizes and wonder. Did I hear correctly? Could my doctor have said that my post-op uterus looked like a seven pound baby and that it was as a14 week pregnant uterus. Are those two descriptions compatible? I wonder if I was still fuzzy when heard it ? I keep reading softball size, melon size, ect. Any thoughts?

Lynn
Total LAVH Nov.28
Unread 12-22-2005, 02:00 PM

My Dr mentioned I had a 8wk uterus and I didn't understand that comment either. I assumed it was relating to a pregnancy size.

After my Op I requested a copy of my Lab report and it did indeed show my Uterus was not normal size, but enlarged due to myriad conditons. So it is possible you heard correctly. Can you confirm this with your Dr? or ask for Lab report to clarify.
Unread 12-22-2005, 04:54 PM

Look at a copy of your pathology report. The 8 week size or 16 week size is how TALL your uterus is in pregnancy terms. They measure by how close the top of your uterus is to your belly button (or fundal height).

The size of the "baby" and the week comparison really aren't the same. Doctor said I had a uterus the size of a sixteen week pregnancy, but my uterus weighed 432 grams (normal is about 80 grams). Part of my uterus weighed that, it came out in two pieces, requiring a very long vertical incision. If it had been a 16 week baby, it would have easily been removed with a bikini incision......
Unread 12-22-2005, 05:35 PM

My doctor said my uterus was the size of a 12-14 week pregnant woman. I was shocked. I knew before the surgery my uterus was enlarged with lots of fibroids. But I never would have guessed it was that enlarged. I am waiting to get the results of my pathology report. Thank God it's out! I can't wait to get better so that I can live life again without having to reschedule things because of bad bleeding.
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:50 PM

Hello!!! My fibriod was the size of a 16 inch clicher softball. My doctor said I was the size of a woman entering the second trimester of pregnancy. I even waddled like a pregnant woman!!! I so glad it is gone!!! I am feeling better everyday!!! I hope you do too!!!
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:58 PM

Danton:
A seven pound baby is quite a lot bigger than a 14 week uterus. Although they use fundal height (the height of the uterus based on the distance from your pubic bone to the top of your uterus)to tell if a uterus is growing at a normal rate, with the sophistication if ultrasound they also know how large volume-wise (not just from bottom to top) a pregnant uterus is at each stage of pregnancy based on volume and use that as a gauge for sizing a fibroid uterus. They alsu use fruits like grapefruit or melons so that patients can have a better understanding of what they are talking about, since many don't really know the size of a pregnant uterus at any stage.
My doc said my uterus was about a 12 week size, it turned out to be 317 grams, or just about 3/4 of a pound.
As Gypsy wisely advises, ask your doctor to go over the path report with you next time you see him/her, or if you aren't going again, ask the office for a copy of the report. There may be things on it that you won't understand unless you are a medical person; they tend to use a lot of medical-ese in those reports since they are meant for doctor to doctor communication. But certainly you can ask your doctor if you have questions about it.
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:02 PM
my fibroids

My dr said I had the size uterus of a 5 month pregnancy. I was having trouble breathing and had to watch it if I sneezed or laughed too hard as it was placing pressure on my bladder. He didn't know how much it weighed but a week after surgery on a visit to get the staples out I had lost 13 lbs! There were 3 or so tumors that had taken up the entire body cavity. Dr was mad that I had let them get that big but I told him if I had wanted to have surgery I would have come in sooner!
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Fruits and vegtables

Prior to my surgery the doctor told me my uterus was the size of a 14 week pregnancy. After my surgery my doctor compared my uterus to the size of a canteloupe.
My uterus weighed 200 grams.
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:18 PM

My dr seemed like he didn't want to talk about the fibroids, he didn't know how much the tumors weighed and rolled his eyes when I found out I had a vaginal incision. I didn't know I had one since he went thru the abdominal wall. Even the nurse didn't want to talk about it. She just said it was interesting to be there and see it. She did tell me the uterus had about 3 tumors on it that took up the body cavity but thats about all she would say. Wonder why? When all my girlfriends knew their sizes and more details than I know. ?????
Unread 12-22-2005, 07:25 PM

My uterus weighed 1238 gms-minus the 2 cantelope size fibroids. And there were smaller ones found in there as well.

Or, according to the surgical report, my uterus was the size of a 20 week-or 5 month pregnancy.

I sent a disposable camera in to the OR and could not believe what they took out of me.

So, yes, you WERE probably hearing right.

Sweet Pea
TAH w/BSO for giant fibroid uterus weighing 1248 gms. Vertical midline inision. Endo, adeno and adhesions also found.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.