Clothes to Wear After Surgery? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Clothes to Wear After Surgery? Clothes to Wear After Surgery?

Unread 01-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Clothes to Wear After Surgery?

Hello everyone,

I'm scheduled for TAH on January 30. Actually have been looking forward to it, as the fibroids have grown to where they are interfering with numerous body functions! In reading the vast amount of information here - rich and useful - I didn't see anything about clothes to wear when I come home from the hospital. Wasn't aware until today that I'd have a swelly belly - GEEZ! Any suggestions, like maybe a moo-moo? Guess the jeans I had planned on wearing the "morning of" wouldn't fit a couple of days after, would they?

Good to know that, with a body pillow, I can still have my canine buddies in bed with me.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 11:33 AM

earthdog 66
If I could do it all over again I would have worn home my flannel pjs. I did wear a pair of sweat pants home but even they were tight. Just wear something with alot of stretch and a size bigger than you are now.
Lori
Unread 01-01-2006, 12:26 PM

Wear flannel pants or a sweat suit for comfort! I wasn't aware or thought about it, but lucky for me a friend called me the night before to wish me good luck. She said I hope you packed sweats to wear home, dumb me says why! Well thanks to her I did! I still have belly swelly and today was the first day I fit into anything besides flannels and sweats! Today is four weeks 3 days.... Good Luck with surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Large sweatpants!!!!!BIG ONES!!!!!
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:31 PM

Definately LARGE sweat pants or flannel pants. They will be the best thing coming home from the hospital and for quite some time after. When I got home I also like night gowns. There wasn't a waist band to worry about. Best of luck to you! It was the best thing I ever did!!!
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:36 PM

I wore a pair of pj/s home from the hospital. And am still wearing pj's evryday unless I have to go somewhere...From reading advice from my hyster sisters please wear your pj's as long as you can...you deserve it...I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and lost a few pounds during this ordeal, so I'm fitting into clothes that were to small before surgury. Wear what feels good and is comfortable....You'll do fine...
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Big sweatpants, an ovesize shirt and underwear at least 2 sizes bigger. You can't imagine swelly belly til you experience it and then you are glad for the BIG clothes for comfort sake. You might think about slippers that you can put your feet into without effort.
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:47 PM

Don't forget bigger underwear as well. A size or two bigger than what you normally wear with as stretchy and comfortable material as possible and a waist band that isn't too tight.
Unread 01-01-2006, 01:48 PM

I wore sweats home from the hospital. I never gained weight, in fact I lost 6 lbs., but I wore something loose fitting because my belly was tender and I didn't want anything tight rubbing against the incisions. All my clothes are loose on me since the surgery.
Unread 01-01-2006, 02:44 PM
scrubs work too

I bought surgical scrubs pants at Wal-Mart...bought some that were too big...and I can adjust the waistband however small or big I need it for the day (or moment). They work great and are comfy even to lounge around it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register