HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Hormones and Gastric Bypass Help! Hormones and Gastric Bypass Help!

Unread 01-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Hormones and Gastric Bypass Help!

Hello all. I had TAH on 3/23/05, gastric bypass on 4/5/01.

Doc put me on estradiol patch, didn't work due to "not enough fat to absorb in the abdominal or buttocks region"

Changed me to femring which only works for 6 weeks or so.

My question is, are there any other sisters who had gastric bypass and have reached goal that are on hrt? We don't absorb like normal people and I can't get any kind of dosage right. I can't handle the sweats and the colds and my doc just recently put me on cymbalta for my moods, which is working well. I still can't sleep a year later and ambien and lunesta don't work. Please sisters, help me out! Thanks in advance
Unread 01-05-2006, 01:22 PM

I have not had gastric bypass, but maybe if you go to a dr who works with compounding hrt you can find something that works just for you. I believe they will compound hrt that can be dissolved under your tongue, called troches (?).

You might do a Search (right hand corner under Private Messages) and put in gastric by pass and see is some threads come up for you.

I hope this helps and I hope you can find some answers on getting the right hrt for you.

s
Unread 01-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Hi!

In addition to the troches (lozenges) mentioned by (((suzyQ23))), there are other ways to get estrogen without using the patches or swallowing pills. One is Estrasorb (a lotion) and another is EstroGel (a gel ). There is also a vaginal ring called Femring which is inserted and left in place for up to three months. Another couple of options are hormone pellet implants and injections.

If you need to find a doctor to help you, it might be a good idea to contact a compounding pharmacy and ask which doctors use their services. That's how some women find a doctor knowledgeable about hormone prescribing. To find a compounding pharmacy in your area, use the locator feature of this site: www.iacprx.org.

I hope you find the right hormone therapy for your situation!

s
Unread 01-05-2006, 02:11 PM

So does this mean that when I lose this unwanted fat around my stomach and my rear the patch will no longer work for me? I wasn't aware there was a fat requirement. lol
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM

My dr never said it was, but in my own experience with the patch, where I have more fat it works better than where I am lean.

s
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinachick
So does this mean that when I lose this unwanted fat around my stomach and my rear the patch will no longer work for me? I wasn't aware there was a fat requirement. lol
That is not necessarily so Carol. We are all different, so while one woman may absorb the patch well, another may not. While for some it may have to do with fat, for another it may not.

I am very thin and use a pain patch and have absolutely no problems with absorption.

Unread 01-06-2006, 08:43 AM

thank you all for the helpful replies. I've used the search and put in a call to a local pharmacist and hopefully will get the relief I so desperately need. I only wish that I could speak with someone who has had gastric bypass and has first hand experience!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.