HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Rupturing Internal Stitches Rupturing Internal Stitches

Unread 04-14-2001, 06:57 PM
Rupturing Internal Stitches

I was just wondering how common it is to rupture internal stitches after a hysterectomy. Other than Tabatha, who had a really terrible experience (I hope you're doing much better!), I have heard no one else talk about it. Anyone out there with a similar experience? How long does the bleeding last? What did your doctor do about it? How did it affect your recovery?
Unread 04-14-2001, 07:21 PM

I tore internal stitches and I will say it is very uncomfortable. I don't know how common it is to happen but I had severe vomitting and horrible coughing spells that caused my stitches to tear in the hospital. Of course, I did not know and neither did my doctor that this had happened until my 3 week post op visit and it had already begun to heal improperly. At 5 weeks he looked at it again and ended up using silver nitrate to "burn" the area that wasn't healing like it needed to and sent me on my way. For a while now I thought everything was fine and am now experiencing pain there once in a while. I am calling my Dr. on Monday to see if I can get in to see him and see what's going on. It's not to painful but it certainly isn't comfortable either. I know there was a post about this a month or so ago...you could look back and see...it was the same topic. There were several responses on it I just don't remember who wrote it and when.

Good Luck to you.
Unread 04-14-2001, 07:30 PM
Wendy

I hope to hear that your appointment goes well. Tabatha's was the posting that you're referring to, and it is the only one I have seen on this topic. She and I both new right away when we ruptured internal stitches because we were bleeding very badly. I wonder why you didn't have this sign? Did you have a TVH or TAH? Right now, I can't remember if you mentioned.
Unread 04-15-2001, 09:38 PM

I had extreme bleeding in the hospital but they never did a pelvic to see what was going on so they wrote it off as more bleeding that what's in the normal range. I did nothing in the normal range or below. Everything was OVER!!! I had a TVH so I don't know that that made a difference or not. All I know is that something still isn't right from that and after my phone call tomorrow, we'll see.

Thanks for your concern. Good luck to you all.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.