HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

New - A Question for women with Stage 2 cystocele and prolapsed uterus New - A Question for women with Stage 2 cystocele and prolapsed uterus

Unread 01-11-2006, 11:46 PM
New - A Question for women with Stage 2 cystocele and prolapsed uterus

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board. This is my very first post here, so have patience please! I am 55 yrs. old, with Stage 2 cystocele and a prolapsed uterus. I have also had trouble with cysts (both kinds) in the past 2 years. And I have lower abdomen pain, with lots where my ovaries are. I am post menopausal. I am very worried about getting ovarian cancer, because, I guess, I have read so much about it lately and do have a few of the symptoms.

This is my question. Is anyone, or has anyone out there had/going to have, a combination bladder sling(?)/hysterectomy under the same or close circumstances as me?! Do yall think that this is not enuf to have a hysterectomy. Do I need more wrong with me to have an operation of such importance?! And I have more questions after this, which I will talk about at a later thread/time.

I go to the urologist, just for a 1st exam on Monday, so any thoughts and ideas and stories would be greatly appreciated. I will not make up my mind til next week or the next - depends on my doctors and me and my husband.

Thanks for your help, everyone! :>

Sagster
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:11 AM

Hi, Sagster
I'm having a hysterectomy/bladder sling/and vaginal wall repair all done on Monday morning. I've been wanting to get the bladder/vaginal repair work done for a couple of years now. Since I was told I needed a hysterectomy because of a huge fibroid (grapefruit) I asked if my Doc could repair the other stuff as well. He said it would take an hour longer which I'm not thrilled about, but I prefer to have ONE surgery instead of two! Good luck with your doctor appointment.
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:57 AM

yes i am having a bladder sling and a tah i have one fibroid and cancer runs very high in my family i went to a urologist who told me i needed a sling i had a d&c done to check for cancer and thank god i dont have it my gyn told me my uterus was stage 2 prolapse and if i did not have a hysterectomy and the uterus kept pushing on my bladder it could mess up the sling then i would be in again getting it repaired and that a hysterectomy is harder to do after you have a sling in more complicated so they said to do both now so i dont have complications later i too questioned is it nessesary they said yes and then the fear of uterine cancer will be gone too since i wont have one it is a major surgery but my bladder doesnt empty right and i go 18 times a day and havent slept all night in 2 years because of having to get up and go to the bathroom so i would say do it together it would be better but ask your doctors and do what they say good luck liberty gal my surgery is the 16
Unread 01-12-2006, 04:27 PM

Hi Watergarden and LibertyGal,

Thanks for yalls replies. I really appreciate the help. I do not have cancer in my family, of the female parts, anyway. I have had trouble with having ovarian cysts, one complex and the other was something like - a simple cyst (?). They were simply watched over the course of a year (with several vag. Ultrasounds), and they grew much smaller. My other parts, like bowels and such, were in the way on the last ultrasound, and my ovaries could not be seen. I do not have fibroids. I used to have bad bleeding (which I am not supposed to even do, I am post menopausal). That is what started the vaginal ultra. My bleeding was eventually controlled by the correct dosage and kind of hormones (by trial and error). I cannot have too much, but, I must have enuf!!! Or I will go beserk! :> Also, I have an enlarged uterus, just do not know how larger it is?!

First of all, what is a TAH, and next if you could tell me what the urologist did, as far as tests or exams. That is where I am going on Monday. Also, how long did it take you guys, and your doctors, to decide on this, once it was emminent? And how long to get the 2 doctors together to operate and how long to get an operating room. I am under a time constraint, because my eldest daughter is getting married in June. All the fun stuff will be happening in April and May and June, so I must be ok, by then, or will wait til late summer.

I hope that yall have an uneventful hysterectomy on Monday!!! :> I am sure, since you guys are on this site, that you are prepared. I have been lurking, and just now joined. Good Luck.

Any more help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

Sagster
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:18 PM

hi sagster its liberty gal i went to the uroligist after putting it off for 2 years my main complaint was always having to go to the bathroom sometimes twice in and hour and never being able to sleep all night he first did an ultrasound in the office and a urine test the ultra sound showed my bladder was not emptying fully so he did a urd test i think thats the right initals thats an awful test where they stick a tube into your bladder and fill it up to see how much your bladder will hold till you start leaking you are laying down then they tilt the table uprightand see if you leak then they tell you to go ahead and just let it go ifyou can and a few other things not so pleasant things they do i also had to keep a diary for 3 days of every time i had to go pee and how much that supposedly told him alot too the test determined that i needed a bladder sling because my bladder is prolapsing and that kinks up your urethra tube so you dont empty fully a tah is a total abdominal hysterectomy my ovary i only have one left your uterus fallopian tubes and cervix are removed my gyn did a abdominal and vaginal ultra sound because i was post menopausal and started to bleed and that is usually but not always a sign of cancer i did not have cancer but they did a d&c to check that was not bad at all my two doctors just said tell us when my husband had a 1 week vacation in january so thats when i arranged it propabably all was decided and done within a month hope that helps ask lots of questions at your appointment they dont like to talk much so you have to ask good luck
Unread 01-12-2006, 08:05 PM

I too have a stage 2 cystocele and prolapsed bladder. I am also getting a bladder sling ad a tvt that is they will tape my urethra so I dont leak. Ihad urodynamic testing done, and a cystoscopy That is when they put a scope into your urethra and look internally. They numb it first. I didnt have any problems with it . It sounds worse than it is. I dont understand why they are doing a hysterectomy on you. Mayby you could ask the dr to explain it and if you dont need the hysterectomy you could ask for a uterine sling or pessary. Iwish you the best
celtic d
ps time constraints depend on the drs schedules
Unread 01-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Hi, all
Yikes, I'm going in tomorrow for the cystoscopy! My doctor didn't tell me anything about it. It doesn't sound fun. He suggested the 'sling' because I leak when coughing, sneezing and such. I only have the one doctor that is going to do all of it.
Sagster, when you go to the doctor, ask if the hysterectomy will rid you of your pain. I'm having all this done to get rid of the pain and annoyances! Hugs
Unread 01-12-2006, 08:53 PM

watergarden It is not as bad as it sounds. Just hang in there You will be fine. Isnt it fun being a woman. The dr will be able to tell if you have kidney damage or stones etc they will have a screen for you to view your organs while they are doing this and your dr will explain at each step what is going on.
Good luck
Celticd
Unread 01-12-2006, 10:55 PM

To Celtic D I Did Ask The Doc Why A Hysterectomy When I Had A D&c Done They Said I Had Stage 2 Uterine Prolapse And A Fibroid On My Right Ovary He Said He Was Afraid If I Got The Bladder Sling And My Uterus Kept Falling Or Pushing On My Bladder It Could Ruin The Bladder Sling Surgery And Then If They Had To Do A Hysterectomy Later It Would Be Harder To Do With A Sling In My Family Is Very High Risk Cancer I Have Had Two Scares Already He Feels By Doing A Hysterectomy And Removing The Fibroid My Bladder Condition Will Be Much Better And My Sling Will Work Right He Says This Is Best And After Much Thaught I Agree The Thaught Of Cancer Scares Me Both My Parents And My Daughter Had Cancer I Dont Want To Take A Chance Byei Had Urodynamic Testing Done To Good Luck
Unread 01-12-2006, 11:13 PM

Dear Sagster:

Here is a link to the prolapse section of our Resources Directory: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=27

Perhaps you would benefit from a 2nd opinion with a uro-gynecologist. I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.