HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Upset stomach...nausea still after 2 1/2 weeks post op Upset stomach...nausea still after 2 1/2 weeks post op

Unread 01-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Upset stomach...nausea still after 2 1/2 weeks post op

HI-
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I am two and a half weeks post op and my "System" wont get back on track. I have had exstream nausea, some constipation, and just generally am still not feeling up to par. Its seems like this far out after surgery I shouldnt be having these problems. My doc has me taking a very expensive anti nausea medicine because I cant eat or drink without it. I am also taking something called reglan. I guess it is supose to help my "system" start moving normally again. I am so tired of this i could scream! I am finally feeling ok from surgery. Not to sore and now i can get my body to get back to normal. I am just feeling very frusterated and want to start feeling somewhat normal again.
Unread 01-13-2006, 12:07 PM

So sorry to hear you're feeling so yucky.

I agree that your nausea is lasting longer than most. Some meds that help relieve nausea can also constipate. If it's been more than 3 days since you've had a regular BM, you may need to ask your doctor for permission to have a rectal suppository, or enema. As you know, constipation can make nausea worse.

If your lower plumbing isn't clogged and causing your sick stomach, then perhaps you are reacting to one of your other meds? Some pain meds can cause nausea. If that's the case, then you'll want your physician to change your prescription.

If I were you, I'd get a little more aggressive with your physician in finding what's causing your problem. Keep us posted, OK?.........s......Deb
Unread 01-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Queasy, too!

My prescription pain meds gave me nausea -- it went away when I stopped taking them, though. They can also cause constipation -- bonus! I'd check with your doctor about things, or you might end up taking more meds to counter the effects of the first ones!

As for "getting back to normal," I'm 6 wks. out and am still waiting to get there myself! The more I learn from others who've gone through this, the more I realize this is just the beginning of a looooong journey. But, you'll feel better each day, some days better than others. Just don't push yourself too hard. You are a princess, after all!
Unread 01-13-2006, 04:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I stopped taking pain meds when I started having all these symptoms. I must just be unusually sensitive from the surgery. Thats why I am so frusterated. I havent been taking anything and still have a lot of issues. Hopefully the new meds help!
Unread 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM

I was on medication for a bladder infection 5 days after surgery that contributed to my nausea. I felt like I had morning sickness all day long. I couldn't stand the smell of certain foods and had a really hard time trying to eat anything, including crackers. I ended up calling my dr. and he said that it was ok to take gravol to ease the nausea so that I could eat. I was thrilled to discover that gravol now makes "almost instant 12 hour sustained relief" tablets. I took one every day for about a week and then began to feel better. It helped that my body was now getting nourishment. It has now been 7 weeks and some days I still have nausea but it is nothing like it was the first 3 weeks. Good luck and remember that at some point, it will get better.
Unread 01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
the nausea game

I was determinee to NOT throw up..eliminated solid food 72 HRS before procedure.. (DD a BSN nurse AND a Lawyer.. and told me to hang it up that I would lose.....I won!) any way...I had a lot of nausea with increasing my activity...supermarket with DH doing all the work....adding excercise like neigborhood walks and treadmill...just FYI...WE ARE ON THIN ICE wwith this for a while...!!!!!! I could still upchuck at times if I did not concentrate on NOT doing it...and I am 6 wks today!!!

Chin-up ladies..where ever you are in this recovery!!!

Kaegea
Unread 01-13-2006, 07:38 PM

Hi brand new here....
I have the nausea also..im 2 weeks today postop.Ive been reading the message boards trying to find someone else that had this problem...at least i know im not alone now. I have been taking phenegran to help me...im slowly weaning myself off of it. I hate feeling like this also especially since i no longer need anything for pain. Just take it slow and it will come eventually. I try to eat small bland meals several times a day ...it has helped.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.