HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

has anyone had the symptom of foul odor with prolapsed fibroid? has anyone had the symptom of foul odor with prolapsed fibroid?

Unread 01-15-2006, 03:42 PM
has anyone had the symptom of foul odor with prolapsed fibroid?

my doctors dont seem to know whats going on with me so i thought maybe someone here might have been through similar. history: terrible bleeding with periods for years, had endometrial ablation on august 24th, 2005. kept getting worse since then. to doctor over and over, bleeding worse, longer and now severe cramping. doctor schedules me for hysterectomy, puts me in iron pills for anemia. go back in for internal sonogram 2 days later. uterus enlarged, what the say is a pool of blood filling it. procedure causes me to start gushing blood again, doc says thats good, its coming out now.(this is after i had just finished my period) i go home. 3 days later i start noticing a foul smell which is coming from me. no longer bleeding, but having heavy brownish discharge with some streaks of blood and chunks in it. end up in er where am told i have a prolapsed fibroid as large as his fist protruding through my cervix. doc unable to remove in er due to excessive blood loss. (this was friday) have to go back tomorrow (monday) for procedure to remove suspected fibroid. i have research topic and found no references to this foul odor. has anyone else had this problem? i am so afraid this is not a plain old fibroid. please let me know if anyone has been through similar experience.

thanks
Unread 01-15-2006, 04:21 PM

Hello, I've been battling fibroid and heavy bleeding for two years. I was interested in seeing your question. I've had a foul odor for about a year, not yeast or baterial infection, but MD doesn't seem to believe me. The menstrual blood also smells "dead". We have tried several options to stop the heavy bleeding , cramping, and I am now scheduled for a hyster Feb 3 '06. I believe there is "something" in there that is "dead". I have an odor,but no discharge. MD thinks it could be the fibroids necrosing.
Unread 01-16-2006, 04:09 PM

I see you were scheduled to have a procedure today for this.... I do hope all went well. Please let us know what happened at your appointment!
Unread 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM

hi. yes, was told odor was from fibroid necrosing as blood supply was partially lost. i have found it hard as well sometimes to make my doctor take my symptoms seriously. i finially just showed up in his office when i was at my worst and demanded he see me. after i had the endometrial ablation in august it seemed they were just so sure that it would take care of my problems i always felt they thought i was exaggerating when i would keep complaining of being worse. finally showing up in the er with my cervix dialated and the fibroid parially through it with odor so strong you could smell me from 6 feet away seemed to prove my point though. it grew to almost the size of a grapefruit in 4 months. god knows what shape i would have been in by my hysterectomy date of april! dont give in, make them listen to you or go to someone else who will. good luck in february
Unread 01-18-2006, 11:59 AM

update: had the fibroid removed Monday. ended up being the size of a grapefruit. i still dont understand how it grew so fast as no sign of fibroids in august 2005 when i had the ablation. still some bleeding, but thank god no more smell! now just a matter of waiting for the patholgy report to come back to breath a sigh of relief. my surgeon says i may get enough improvement now during my periods that i may want to reconsider having the hysterectomy in april, but i have already decided i am going to go through with it. i don't want to ever grow another one of these things again! thanks for the help. i wish i had found this site years ago.
Unread 01-18-2006, 12:02 PM

I thought I was nuts, when I noticed my menses smelled BAD. Rotten almost. It has been freaking me out for a while now. I am so glad to finally be almost through with this.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.