HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Are you to stop motrin/tylenol before surgery? Are you to stop motrin/tylenol before surgery?

Unread 01-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Are you to stop motrin/tylenol before surgery?

I had my pre-op today. Made it through without a anxiety attack! BTW: if you are a hard stick for bloodwork, don't forget to hydrate before your pre-op! I had to have 2 nurses try to get my vein because I had nothing to drink before my appt. Makes it difficult. Anyway, I forgot to ask if I was to NOT take any motrin or tylenol in the couple of days up to my surgery. It seems like my dr. told me not to take any of those or asprin. Was anyone else told that? Also, the reason I'm asking- I'm about ready to start!
I knew this was going to happen! I will have killer cramps and won't be able to take anything! They are already starting and I haven't even started yet.
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:16 PM

Tylenol was approved for me, but not Motrin - but you should check with your Dr.
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:38 PM

My doctor and my dh (also MD) said no motrin/advil because it affects the clotting time of your blood. Tylenol is OK. I stopped motrin/advil a week before surgery. Good luck!
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:16 PM

My pre-op papers say to stop taking a lot of meds 7 days before surgery. Motrin is one of the meds to stop taking.

According to my pre-op papers I can take Tylenol as it is not a blood thinner.

Good luck and check with your dr to see if there are any other meds you should not be taken prior to your surgery.
Unread 01-16-2006, 09:58 PM

kelco
My pre op list says you can have tylenol because it does not yjin the blood and it lists alka seltzer ,asprin compounds{ the ingredients may read"asprin" or "acetylsalacylic acid' or salacylate} such as
ascriptan, anacin,bayer,bufferin,doan's back ache pills,dristan,ecotrin,excedrine,percodan. Coumadine{warfarin}.
Diclofenac compounds Voltaren, misoprostol
Difflunisol compounds
dolobid Etodolac compounds Lodine Ibuprofen oribuprofen like compoundsMotrin,advil,nuprin, midol ib{one of these types contain ibuprofen check label}ocufen,orudis{contains a related compound ketoprofen, vicoprofen. indomethacincompounds,indocin, ketorolac compoundsTorodal,Acular. naproxen compounds, anaprox, aleve.synflex,nabumetone compounds, ERelafen, oxaprozin compounds Daypro Tolmetin compoundstolectin,piroxicam compounds,Feldene, Sulindac compoundsclinoril, many of the pain relief creams and ointments,aspercreme,bengayflexall, vitamin e capsules, tablets the arthritis medications inthe category of cox2 inhibitors celebrex and vioxx do not interfere Other medications that do are medications given by a cardiologist or a vascular surgeonsuch as baycol {Cerivastatin, Fragmin{dalteparin given by injection at the doctor,Lovenox{enoxaparin Given by injection at the doctor, Persantine{clopidogrol}Ticlid{ticlopidine},trental{Pentofylline} this is the list my doctor gave me hope it helps sorry so long and all the meds.
Good luck
celticd
Unread 01-16-2006, 10:36 PM

I was told by my doctor and anesthesiologist to stop taking motrin, Aleve, or any NSAID at least a week before my surgery. I was allowed to Tylenol only when needed.

Be sure to check with your doctor for his/her instructions for your own situation. I hope you find something to relieve your pain!

s, Deb
Unread 01-16-2006, 11:00 PM

Some herbs should not be taken either. If you are taking St. Johns Wart, that will dilute the affects of the pain medications the dr. puts you on. I know that you didn't ask about that but I didn't think herbs were a problem at all and some of them are.
You will do alright. Let us know how it goes.
Debbie
Unread 01-17-2006, 06:14 AM

Thanks everybody! I think I will call to ok tylenol. I really appreciate everyone's responses. You all are great!

Have a great day everyone~

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.