HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Removal of ovary/scraping of uterus VS hysterectomy Removal of ovary/scraping of uterus VS hysterectomy

Unread 01-17-2006, 03:45 AM
Removal of ovary/scraping of uterus VS hysterectomy

I am in the process of having to make a decision. I have a procedure scheduled for March 9. I have 4 fibroids between 2-1/2 and 4 centimeters. Also have a cyst/mass about 3.6cm on ovary. I have had 3 ultra sounds. Ob-gyn thought maybe mass was temporarily being attached when I was ovulating. Doctor has said that she wants to scrape uterus to remove fibroids, and says the ovary needs to be removed. In our conversation she also added that besides those two things that need to be done, that I should consider removing both ovaries, as well as removing uterus, which then becomes a hysterectomy. I am in my mid 40's and she says because menapause is around the corner it may be a good consideration. Can anyone share on this that has had to make this decision? I don't know if I should just do what is needed, or is it wise to have everything removed? Thanks for your input
Unread 01-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Hi ClearThePath:

You didn't mention if you are suffering any symptoms from the fibroids. Pain or excessive bleeding? Does the cyst cause you pain?

I would recommend getting a 2nd or 3rd medical opinion. My doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind for me than doc #3.

Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:15 AM

Symptoms: very bloated, look like i have gained 10+ lbs. About the time that this started about 6 months ago (or should I say when it was noticed during my paps exam), my period stopped too. However, prior to that, maybe for about one year, I was bleeding extremely heavy, lots of cramping, big clots. So much I became anemic. Now the cyst was first noticed in July 05, then I had a second Ultra sound about 2 months later, and had a third one this month. And just this week I have this pain, haven't talked to my doctor about it, I am not sure what it is. It has happened twice. The first time it felt like maybe I was ovulating or had gas, but it passed. And then the second time it didn't feel like I was ovulating, however the pain was the same, but it went away rather quickly. I am not sure what that was. Has not come back for 2 days now. I am going to schedule another appointment with another ob-gyn at Kaiser today to get a second opinion. I just don't know what will be best. My doctor says that she will try for a vaginal hysterectomy, but may have to cut. But she says if I have just the ovary (or ovaries - she thinks it may be a good idea to remove both, although I only have a cyst/mass on the right one) she will have to make an incision on my abdomen, and then scrape out the fibroids. I like the idea of having it done through the vagina only but it means having a hysterectomy and it's not guaranteed that she may not cut anyway. What was your experience on this? Did you end up not getting cut as much with your other opinion? Anybody else have any experience? Thank you.
Unread 01-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Hi Clearthe Path,

I have had expereince with fibroids but not cyts. Some of the symptoms you described, I had. Not fun!!

On your fibroids, has your Dr. discussed what the possible fibroid ~regrowth~ would be with the procedure?? I was 46 at the time of my hyst and I was done with my childbearing. I had two large fibroids and both my Drs felt my fibroids would grow back with a procedure so I opted for a hyst. Many ladies on Hyster Sisters have a fibroid procedure to decrease fibroid size and to give them more time to make a long term decision, if the fibroids grow back.

Also, looking at your fibroid measurements, possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a LAVH (Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy) or a LSH, which I had. The difference in the hysts is that the LAVH is done vaginally and removes the cervix also. The LSH is done through two small (sometimes 3) hip incisions and a belly button incision. No vaginal work and the cervix is retained. Here is a H.S. link on the ~different types~ of hysts:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsa...p?s=&id=152317

Also, with your ovaries, if the 2nd ovary does NOT have cysts, what is your Dr's reason for removing it?? In my opinion, why not leave a healthy ovary so you do not go through surgical menopause. The ovaries ( or ovary) secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair to name a few. I have read on Hyster Sisters that some ladies have Drs who suggested that after 45, it was a good idea to remove both the ovaries since as you said, menopause was around the corner. From what I have read, that is ~old school thinking~ and why not keep an ovary that is healthy and can give you added health benefits with hormones?? Something maybe to ask your Dr.

Best wishes. You will find a great bunch of ladies here to help you with your questions.

Mary
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Thank you Mary for your reply. I have scheduled a 2nd opinion for 1/31, and will discuss the points you brought up. I am not sure if fibroids will regrow. I am currently 46 and have had no children, and because of my age had thought I probably wouldn't, however this induced menopause seems so final and it is unnerving.

As far as her reasoning for the procedure, she said if I had the ovary removed they would have to go thru abdomen, recovery is longer, and going vaginal is better. However, she said they may have to end up cutting anyway. I am not too familiar with all the procedures yet, I have looked, read and printed out the different types of procedures from the link you sent. I had viewed that before and still does not make too much sense to me. It is probably old school, but what is surprising she is like in her early to mid 30's.

As far as the Dr's reason for removing the 2nd healthy ovary, she said that since they are going to be IN there anyway, and if I am not having any kids and menopause is coming, to prevent having future problems such as ovarian cancer, it may be best to remove it now...that is her reasoning. I appreciate you telling me about the benefits of keeping it and how it helps the body by the hormone it secretes. I will also be bringing this up with my 2nd opinion Doctor.

I just keep praying and asking to get the guidance I need to make my decision so that I have peace and serenity with it, and to have the faith and trust that I am making the right choices.

Anybody out there with more experience, suggestions...all welcomed.

Confused and Unsure

Just when I sent response, I noticed you are from Lake Tahoe, want to say that Lake Tahoe is my heaven on earth. I was born and raised in the bay area/San Francisco, and spent much time in the Sierras, and although I live in Hawaii since 1990, my heaven on earth is still Lake Tahoe.
Unread 01-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Hi ClearThePath,

Here are two past H.S. threads on the ~ovaries~. I actually posted on them. Thought they were good threads.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=224039

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=188698

Hope they help with your info. seeking.

Yeah...Lake Tahoe is great!! We are expecting a big snow storm tonight. A winter wonderland!!

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 01-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Good for you for thinking about the ovaries issue. Many doctors offer to remove them in women in their 40s and up when having surgery. This is not a universally held opinion. There are recent articles that question the value of removal when disease is not present. I reccomend some reading.

Ovarian Conservation at the Time of Hysterectomy for Benign Disease

The following study is a summary of the above article.
It is from an article in the Harvard Women's Health Watch titled "Study questions ovary removal during hysterectomy." The article cites a study in Obstetrics and Gynecology Aug. 2005 which evaluates the risks and benefits of oophorectomy before the age of 65 among women at an average risk for ovarian cancer. The study uses long term data from various long term studies. Conclusions are: removing the ovaries increased the likelihood of heart disease and hip fractures and is associated with a 9% increased likelihood of dying before the age of 80. Taking ERT lowered the risks a bit but not as much as hysterectomy alone-with or without ERT. 9% is a whole lot higher than the likelihood of getting ovarian cancer in one's lifetime!

Sorry no link. I am a subscriber and the article is only available online to subscribers.

I think as far as informed consent goes, doctors really should be telling women that a controversy exists in the area of taking out ovaries in women. The above articles are taken from their own professional sources. Hysterectomy alone will lower the incidence of ovarian cancer. This surgery is offered as way to avoid further problems as if future problems are inevitable. Most women do not have to go back for further surgery-

Rational for Ovarian Conservation by Donna Shoupe MD

This article is somewhat technical but very interesting. It illustrates how understudied the older ovary is:

Hormone levels in older women The Rancho Bernardo Studies

In any event, if you are not currently menopausal and have 5-6 years left to go before menopause this is a serious consideration. When you read the applicable forums here you will see responses from women who have no problems and complaints after surgical menopause and just as many that have complaints. I believe all reports of these indivdual women. It seems to be difficult to predict how a woman will feel/adjust prior to having the surgery. This is certainly something to discuss with your doctor.
Unread 01-24-2006, 06:14 AM

Thanks Pearle for all the informative information. It has been two weeks since i found out i will be having surgery on march 9. In these past two weeks it has been somewhat of a rollercoaster ride filled with many different emotions, such as fear, confusion, sadness, however I have learned a lot and things seem to be making more sense to me in the medical terminology kinda way. I still have to make my decision, right now I seem to be leaning to having uterus taken out, and only having the one ovary removed and keeping the other one. i have a second opinion next week. thank you again, it is truly appreciated. i am still of course very scared and still working on making my decision that i feel most comfortable with, and it's helpful when i get more information to help me better understand all this.

Thanks....
Unread 02-08-2012, 11:23 PM
hysterscrapping

Hello i just had scaping done on 2/8/12 for removal of 4 firboids and a ovarian cyst..the doctor suggested full hysterectomy but i chose the hysterscraping. The procedure was fast and painless, with minimum bleeding. I went home the same day within a hour . I feel great. I am 47 and was not ready for such a major change in my body. When it is time my body will tell me..

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.