HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Growing Septated ovarian cyst Growing Septated ovarian cyst

Unread 01-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Growing Septated ovarian cyst

Hello all
I am new to this site and can really use some advice and shared experience. I had my uterus removed 10/31/03 after years of heavy bleeding and daily bleeding for the last year before surgery. At that time my gyn noticed 2 small cysts on my rt that were not a problem so they were not removed with my uterus. About a year ago I went to the emergency room with severe abdominal pain and bleeding. A trans-vaginal u/s was done and the test showed 2 cysts, the sizes were 2.6cm and 3.8cm on my rt ovary. Also, the report stated that one was septated. I did not bother to follow up after that ( I know very foolish) but after having the hysterectomy I was in no mood to deal with "female problems" again. Needless to say things have not improved. Since the er visit a year ago, this is my third episode of severe pain and bleeding on my right side. I know it is the two cysts again. This time I have made an appointment with my GYN to see what is really going on. I would appreciate it if anyone can share their experience with me. I do not want to go through the "wait and see" routine because that's basically what I have been doing and nothing has changed. At this point surgery is fine with me to have the cysts remove. My fear is the removal of my ovaries because of going into menopause. Please give me some feedback, my appointment is on 1/31, but I need to "talk" about this before then. Thanks for "listening".
Unread 01-27-2006, 12:15 AM

When they told you you have cysts did they tell you what kind of cyst (i.e. functional, dermoid, chocolate, complex etc...). Basically did they have an idea of what was in the cyst (watery fluid, sebum, blood etc...). I have a dermoid cyst which has taken over my entire right ovary. I am having surgey on 2/8 to have the dermoid and most likely the ovary removed. I too am really afraid of losing both ovaries and going into surgical menopause. As such I have done tons of research (I am a researcher for a living) on cysts but I must say I haven't come across "septated". Let me know if you have anymore details and maybe some of the information I have gathered will be useful to you. Thanks.
P.H.
Unread 01-27-2006, 05:03 AM

Neither of you say how old you are and that might make a difference in how you make a decision about your ovaries. I found out that I had an "ovarian mass" on my left ovary when I had a CT scan for a suspected kidney stone. We waited for a while until an ultrasound showed that the mass appeared to be septating. My doctor advised a laproscopy to look at the ovary. But after years of bleeding and anemia from fibroids , I told my doctor to take everything out. I only wanted to go through the female thing once. When she got in there the "mass" was actually two simple functional cysts side by side. They only looked like one mass on the CT and ultrasound. But, unlike aaqulia, I didn't have any pain or bleeding other than the irregular periods. Since I had just turned 49, I decided that I was through and had a SAH/BSO and I've never looked back. By the way, a septated cyst is one with more than one chamber or a cyst that has divided into more than one part. I think I read that most of these cysts are not cancerous. But you definitely need to work with your doctor.
Unread 01-27-2006, 08:40 AM

Thank you both for the information. I am 41 years old and I do not have children. I tried prior to having the hysterectomy 2.5 years ago but never could. I guess the constant bleeding played a part. I, too, wish I would have had the cysts removed when I had the hysterectomy because I do not want another surgery. However, at this point it is the only option I am considereing because the pain is excruciating and I do not want to do the "wait and see" which is what I have been doing. From what I've read so far about septated cyst is that they go under the heading of complex cyst and the likelihood of cancer vs. non cancerous is based on the thickness of the sepatation or "walls." All of this is helpful, but the waiting and not knowing conclusively what I am up agains is driving me nuts in addition to the pain. Please keep me in your prayers, and thanks so much for your help. I will post again after the dr.'s appointment on 1/31.
Unread 01-27-2006, 09:55 AM

I am 32, turning 33 next week. In all of my research about recurrence of dermoid ovaries and the chances of them being on both ovaries (bilateral) the literature says that in 75% of the cases they are only on one ovary, and that the rate of recurrence is fairly low. However based on what I have seen on this forum and another forum that deals specifically with dermoid cysts I think the literature is wrong. Especially because these cysts tend to go undetected until they get really large.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.