HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Video urodynamics testing question Video urodynamics testing question

Unread 01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Video urodynamics testing question

Hi everyone,

I have to go on Thursday for the video urodynamics testing of my bladder.
Last year I had this testing done, but with no video... and yes, it was kind of painful as they didn't freeze the area or numb it at all.

My question is, has anyone else had this done? Was it painful? What is different other than the video aspect of it? (meaning is it done the same way, awake, on a table, many cathetars and different positions to get leakage and so on) and then just the added video?
With the video, how do they do that? Is it a tiny camera the size of a cathetar inserted the same way?

I'm sorry for so many questions, I'm getting nervous and haven't been able to speak with the doctor about it much. I was told I'd meet with her before it happened, yet am not scheduled to do so now...

Thanks to anyone that can tell me anything about this...
Unread 01-30-2006, 09:32 PM

Hi Spotter,
I am not exactly sure which test you are refering to too but I have had them all!
Maybe a cystogram? Thats when they fill your bladder with a dye and make a movie. Doesnt hurt, a little uncomfy when they insert the catheter then you hold it in they make a movie, its kinda neat to watch, I was facinated. Then at the end they tried to make me urinate on a pad on the xray table and I couldnt do it.
Also I think an IVP. Thats when you bowel prep and they put the dye through your arm and put a ultrasound thing on your belly. No pain.
A cystoscope is when they put a thin scope up your bladder, I remember a movie on that one too, a video screen.
Out of all the urinary tests I had I honestly do not remember any pain more than a moment discomfort, and I am a big wimp so dont worry!
Unread 01-30-2006, 10:48 PM

The video urodynamics that I had done consisted of a small xray machine that was lined up to view the bladder while the bladder was first empty, then while it was filling, then while full, then while emptying. There was no pain involved nor did it add much time to the urodynamics study.

good luck
diana
Unread 01-31-2006, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the replies ladies.

Catlady- The testing I'm referring to is just called video urodynamics as far as I'm told. Perhaps it also goes by another name that I'm not aware of? The testing I had done last year was just urodynamics. It's just invasive bladder testing with cathetars and being hooked up to machines for readings of bladder fullness and muscle density, etc.
I was unsure of the use of cameras though and what type of pain that would add/how it was done. Thanks for the info on the others too, always welcoming further information incase they mention it to me. :0) Thanks for the reassurance that it shouldn't hurt too much!

Diana- I'm glad it doesn't add too much time or added pain to the tests. An x-ray maching I can handle, a camera in there as a cathetar, I was worried about, lol. I'm assumeing you're saying that they will inject a dye to my bladder to see with the x-ray? ok, that's do-able. ;0)

Thanks Ladies!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.