HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Can you just STOP taking ERT? Can you just STOP taking ERT?

Unread 01-31-2006, 04:28 PM
Can you just STOP taking ERT?

I had my hyst. on Dec 6th. I have been on Cenestin and was doing well until recently. The last coupla days have beeen horrendous with hot flashes and night sweats. I have nothing left. I am wondering if I should try life without hormones or not. What have you guys done? Any suggestions?
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:36 PM

Hi Kathy!

Have you contacted your doctor about the changes you have recently noticed? Maybe you've reached a point where the hormones your ovaries made are depleted and that's why you're noticing a change. Or, if you have been ill, under more stress, exercising more, etc. it can affect how your estrogen is used.

It might be worth a call to your doctor to let him/her know what is going on. A tweak of your hormone dose may be all that is needed to get you balanced again. :balanc: I personally would not be functional without my hormone therapy.

If you really want to discontinue using hormones, you should consult with your doctor first. Discuss the pros and cons of using them and then decide what is best for your circumstances. If you do decide to go without hormones, you can get ideas for managing menopause without hormones on the No-Hormone Desert Oasis message board.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 01-31-2006, 04:38 PM

Kathy,
Hormonal fluctuations can cause hot flashes and night sweats, so if you've been ill or under stress that could be causing problems. You're really not that far along post op, it could also be that your dose just needs some tweaking. It's not unusual for our hormonal needs to shift over time, especially during the early months post op. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
Unread 01-31-2006, 07:24 PM

Thanx so much! I am not going to give up just yet. Its just I have been reading on this site soooo much about women who had everything taken out and then they didnt get on hrt and are fine. I dont know. I am just miserable the last coupla days. I guess Ill just have to call my doc. You guys are always right!!!LOL!! Anyway, thanx for listening!
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:01 PM

Hello there!

I'd definitely chat with my doc concerning whether to HRT or not. Based on my history, etc., I decided not to HRT -- I'm taking one of the herbal supplements (NewPhase for me), and so far so good. Just a very mild hot flash now and then, but that's about it. Overall, I feel pretty lucky.

Good luck with your decision!!!!!
monami

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.