HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Stupid question: can you have nail polish on your toes at surgery? Stupid question: can you have nail polish on your toes at surgery?

Unread 02-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Stupid question: can you have nail polish on your toes at surgery?

I was allowed to keep my polish on my hands. TAV 12/29/05. I took the polish off my toes because I knew I couldn't stand the polish grow out. I couldn't reach my feet until last week and didn't feel up too going for a manicure/pedicure until today. Yah!! I have an appt at 3:00.

Take Care
Lthootie
Unread 02-02-2006, 09:59 AM

I removed the polish from fingers and toes prior to surgery. I kept my socks on all during the surgery prep as my feet were very cold. I was even allowed to keep them on during surgery.
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:11 AM

I kept polish on my toes during surgery. Actually I had on socks and they put socks on, on top of myne. I'm sure toes are okay but not fingers. Besides you probrally won't be up for a pedicure to soon after surgery. You will just want to rest! But then no one will be looking at your toes but you. Good Luck and may you have a speedy recovery.
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks for all your great advise. After reading them all, I am voting for nail polish on my toes and a nice pair of socks! (but I will ask at my pre-op appointment, just to be sure). Good luck to you all......Frenchie
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:27 AM

Ms Kitty,
a question for you, I get acrylic nails done every few weeks and wear a french manicure. Do I need to have them off before surgery? hugs raymo

Frenchie, I hope your dr can help you decide. )
Unread 02-02-2006, 10:41 AM

This might be one thing to add to your list of what friends and family can do for you.
I had a hip surgery in 93 and I still get emotional when I think of my best friend coming in the day after and giving me a good foot massage and painting my toenails for me. It was WONDERFUL!!!
My pre-op appt was yesterday and the hospital told me to come in sans everything - no jewerly, no nail polish, not even my overnight bag (cause my dh could go get it after I get assigned a room and he wouldn't have to lug it around all morning); but to wear nice anklet socks and I could wear them into surgery to keep my footsies warm. So I would say toe polish is okay. But just remember that if you can't stnad the grow-out look afterwards, you may not want to cause it will be awhile before you will feel like bending over to touchup.
Although the touchups would also be a nice thing for friends to do if they keep begging to help somehow. Have them come over for a quick pedicure/manicure.
Unread 02-02-2006, 11:36 AM

Hey girls!!

I took a chance and left my acrylic nails on, polished toes and even had a bit of eye make-up on and all was ok! (Was glad to see all in tact when I came to.. we are such vain creatures..wink ;-) ) Ok.. I am not a freak but I have a few piercings, was able to remove 2 of them but my lebret (a little diamond stud under bottom lip) would not come out. Haha... the nurse had 2 surgical instruments try to pry the ball off and to no avail. So they ended up taping that area so I wouldn't get a burn/shock when cauterizing. All went well and I think I am just going to put my navel ring back in and leave the other one out. So good luck and I suppose every hospital is different!

Skye ~God Bless~
Unread 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM

I'm 8 days post-op, and thought I would share my 2 cents I didn't think to take my toe nail polish off, and when I was in my room, getting ready to go to the pre-op room, they did a head to toe check. I had to take my polish off, and let me just tell you....EEK! My toe nails haven't seen the light of day for SO long, so I wasn't happy. But, they put these sock-things on you for circulation before surgery, so they cover up those not-so-pretty toes!

My girlfriends all came to the hospital that night. My dh thought I was crazy - I was laying there in pain, having my toes painted. Priorities, right?!

So, if you do decide to take it off, take some with you, and have someone do them after surgery. You will have earned it
Unread 02-02-2006, 12:14 PM

Hi ladies,
one funny story about the toenail polish. When I was induced with my third child, I wanted my toenails to look pretty. (hot dr!) LOL and so my husband just giggled while I was in the hospital bed trying to paint my toenails! Must have looked ridiculous! (long labors leave you with lots of time!) LOL hugs Raymo

Skye, thanks for your comments. I will leave my nails on!
Unread 02-02-2006, 01:55 PM

Raymo, you made me laugh with your story going in to deliver and putting pretty nail polish LOL. I am just as bad, I put lipstick on while my DH was driving me to the hospital to deliver my first one. It must have been good lipstick because on the pictures taken after, in the delivery room, I still have my lipstick on! So keep your nice nails too!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.