HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Unread 02-04-2006, 07:45 PM
darned acne

Does anyone have an experience where they had acne after their hyst and how did they get it under control?No ovaries here... Just don't feel well. Testosterone levels have been low, so don't understand anymore. Just very depressed about all this and can't seem to rise above it all, though I keep trying...
Unread 02-04-2006, 08:06 PM
darned acne

I hear you Tani! At the moment all I am on is estrogen replacement (Triest) and I still have this acne stuff, at least I think that is what it is, since I never had acne before my hysterectomy either, except an occasional pimple on my nose. I have these red itchy raised bumps all over my torso (abdomen, back, breasts, stomach, sides). I also have a few on my face but luckily so far they are just on the sides of my forehead and my hair covers them. And no, it isn't hives, been there had those. At first I thought it was the progesterone I was on but I stopped that due to some nausea and over a month later they are still there. And I know my estrogen levels are way low as I can only tolerate a very small dose of estrogen (1mg Triest). I wonder if it is a sign of low estrogen? I really have no idea to tell you the truth. I can assure you my testosterone levels aren't too high either with my lack of energy and libido! LOL. Wish I had an answer as to how to get rid of this stuff also because the itching is driving me crazy! Just thought I would drop in and let you know it isn't just you! Hope you get some help and relief soon!
Unread 02-05-2006, 07:10 AM
darned acne

Dear Tani,

I have also suffered from acne for the last couple of months....and I do not mean small surface acne, but deep, painful, cystic type.

The first round, I had to have injected with cortisone to get relief.

Pro-Active is the best system I have used. However, L'Oreal just came out with a similar package @ half the price that does just as well.

It makes me wonder too, with no ovaries, and my testosterone level was also low, what is going on here. I am also getting worsening hair on my chin.

Hope things get better soon...this can be sooo frustrating. Also, there is another post in this section on the same thing.

Unread 02-05-2006, 07:47 AM
darned acne

I was put on Climara after my surgery. That's when I developed the huge, cystic ones. Now I recently went off everything except for the estriol vag cream, but still getting pimples. I always got them around my cycle, but now all the time, plus the hair on the chin. I use Aubrey Organics products. I used to use ProActiv before my hyst, but afterwards the benzoyl peroxide made my face turn red. I loved that stuff, but now I can't use it anymore. Bummer... I even went to a dermatologist. They want to put you on antibiotics, but that is a short-term fix. It doesn't do you any good for long-term, plus antibiotics cause yeast when you have prolonged use of them. 44 and look like I'm a mix between 13 and 50 (with the hair). What a joke. The more hormones I used the worse it got.
Thanks ladies...
Unread 02-05-2006, 08:13 AM
darned acne

Tahil, I too am suffering from the same problems, it actually started before my hysterectomy as my hormones were already changing at 40. I have recently been introduced to bio-identical hormone replacement and am hopefull that this will be the ticket to being "zit-free" - you can research this option, but what I like is that they test your hormone levels with your saliva and make a compound cream specifically for your own needs. A local pharmacist usually does the cream in the pharmacy. Check back with me in a few months and I can tell you if it worked
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:13 AM
darned acne

I just took myself off of the compounded creams estradiol and progesterone. I was on them for almost two years since after I tried the Climara. I still broke out. I couldn't find a balance and the acne never improved from the Climara or the compounded creams, so I only use the vag cream now. I think it is just going to be a part of my life now that I have no ovaries. No one seems to have an answer and that is what is so frustrating. I sure hope the compounded creams work for you. Let me know. I am happy for those who find a balance. I had the occasional acne at period times, but never this bad, even as a teen! I've hid inside my house all this weekend because I can't stand to have people just stare at the acne...
Unread 02-05-2006, 12:27 PM
darned acne

I suffered from cystic acne after. I've tried everything, including smoothbeam laser treatments. Was on lower doses of estrogen, still had acne. Due to symptoms of still being low on estrogen, my doctor upped the estrogen so I am taking 4mg estradiol a day and my acne has since cleared up. Incidently if I fail to stay on top of my prescription, acne will pop up again. I am not an advocate of increasing estrogen just to clear acne, but if you are having other symptoms of being too low, I would definitely check into becoming more balanced. It is frustrating to have to deal with that on top of everything else. Wishing you balance
Unread 02-05-2006, 01:47 PM
darned acne

That sounds great, but the more I increased, the more cystic it got. I guess I'm scared to go on that much. I was up to 1 mg and that was a lot for me. I'm so afraid to try to increase it that much! How long after did you notice improvement? THANKS...
Unread 02-05-2006, 02:20 PM
darned acne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahil
That sounds great, but the more I increased, the more cystic it got. I guess I'm scared to go on that much. I was up to 1 mg and that was a lot for me. I'm so afraid to try to increase it that much! How long after did you notice improvement? THANKS...
Are you experiencing any flushing on the face at all? It is definitely a personal decision on what you are comfortable with, your age, and other health factors. And again, I do not advocate upping estrogen just to rid yourself of acne. Do you have any other symptoms you are uncomfortable with?

I noticed you were on a combination of HRT. Can I ask what was your strength/ dose of each? Was the cream a biest or triest? Did you try any oral methods? Generally the oral method blocks some of the SHGB, which you mentioned you may be experiences some symptoms of increase of.

I love this board and how we can each help each other through broader exploration of whats available out there and helping to communicate things to our doctors. Don't give up! Something is bound to come clearer to you as an outlet to look for.
Unread 02-05-2006, 05:04 PM
darned acne

I was on BiEst (they were in syringes) like a couple of lines twice daily and the same with the progesterone. These were creams I don't know exact dosage as far as milligrams, etc. Since being off, I still get hot flashes, atrophy, acne, excess hair, etc. Last check, testosterone was low, so that really has me confused. I've been looking for an answer over 2 years now and can't seem to find it. I appreciate you taking the time to communicate with me! Yes, it is wonderful to know that someone else has felt the same way. I was so depressed yesterday that it felt like my chest was going to explode. That stress isn't good, I realize, for anyone, but you can't suppress how you feel. Thanks much...

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway