HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Anyone recovering from laparoscopy surgery for LSO? Anyone recovering from laparoscopy surgery for LSO?

Unread 02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Anyone recovering from laparoscopy surgery for LSO?

I was just wondering how the recovery from laparoscopy is for hysterectomy or other reason. I had an abdominal incision for my TAH last May. I would like to know how long the doctor says for the laparoscopy recovery. I am having laparoscopy Thursday. I know everyone is different and are also given different time frames. Several ladies have been switched to abdominal incision because of adhesions. I haven't read too many posts about the laparoscopy recoveries. Mostly incisions and I would like to hear from some. One thing I would like to know is what are the lifting restrictions compared to abdominal incision? Also, how long does the stomach stay swollen since they stretch it out with carbon dioxide? I am hoping not to be out of work any longer than 2 weeks. My doctor said I would be sore for 4 or 5 days. How does that sound?
Unread 02-05-2006, 10:34 PM

I had a LSH/BSO a week ago tomorrow and I'm feeling pretty good. I checked into a day surgery facility at 11 AM and was home by 7 PM. Was pretty tired on Tuesday but moving pretty well by Wednesday. I have some times when I get really tired but for the most part I think this was pretty easy. My lifting restrictions are 20 pounds until I see the doctor on 2/14. Hope all goes well for you.
Unread 02-06-2006, 12:06 AM

I'd look at the two weeks. I've had five lap surgeries - the worst part of most of the recoveries was the shoulder pain from the carbon dioxide expansion of the abdomen. Be sure to drink a lot of water, deep breathe, and cough as they recommend. It helps rid your body of the CO2 and relieves your shoulders much more quickly. Two weeks has been enough time for me in the past for adhesion and endo removal.
Unread 02-06-2006, 07:07 AM

I had a LSH and I took four weeks off from work. I could have come back after two weeks but it would have been tiring and I wanted to make sure I had the time I needed to heal properly. As for feeling up to doing things, I started walking 4 miles a day at about 1 ˝ weeks although it was a very slow walk. At three weeks I was back to a normal speed. At four weeks I started to add some jogging into my walks (Dr said was ok). I used to jog 4 miles, I am not back up to that yet, but figure I will be in a few more weeks. As for lifting and sit-ups, I still have restrictions. I see the Dr this week for my 6 week check up and will find out when I can resume those types of exercises. I do feel up to doing them so hopefully I can get the go ahead, but at my last appointment I think she said lifting and sit ups were a nono until about my 3rd month, that is because they took the uterus so I still have the internal healing to do. As for the tummy swelling, there was not too much of that, but it is hard to tell how much is swelling and how much is weight gain as I had surgery right after the holidays and I know I over ate. But, I am still able to wear most of my clothes although they are a little tight in the waist.
As for the soreness, 4-5 days sounds about right, but we all do heal differently. For me, I did not have a lot of pain at all after my surgery. I stopped taking my pain pills after 3 days. I do still get twinges and some cramping, but it is not really bothersome.
I hope I answered most of your questions. Good luck with your Laparoscopic surgery.
Unread 02-06-2006, 09:06 AM

Thanks so much for the answers. I was also wondering about exercising too. I want to try and get in better shape for my daughter's wedding in May. I have been trying on dresses and definitely need some toning. I wasn't sure how long before I could start exercising. I wish I could have waited to have this done this summer when the wedding would be over. Plus, I would be out of work(elementary school), but my doctor says the cyst has been on there long enough. It will be 8 months this month. It won't go away and has grown some and does cause me alot of pain. I just feel so stressed about how soon I will be able to be back to normal or as close to normal as possible.
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:12 AM

ChayChay4 I had a LAVH/BSo and have 4 little incissions. I felt great by 10 days post-op and tried to move something too heavy and ripped internal stitches. Dr told me to cut way back. By my 4 week post-op visit he released to me do everything but sex. I could exercise and lift anything then. Right after surgery I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Having a laparoscopy surgery is suppose to be alot easier on you because of the quicker recovery. I think since you have already had a hysterectomy, you should bounce back pretty quick but will probably still have some restrictions with lifting and all, it just shouldn't be as long as it was before.
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:07 AM

Hi chachay4 I have had 3 laproscopic surgeries, 1st one for cystectomy, tubal ligation, and apparently endo removal. Was back to work in one week no restrictions I was just careful not to do to much. But my doc wouldn't let me do gymnastics or diving for 6 weeks, walking and light exercise was fine. My 2nd lap was for oophorectomy but the cysts had disappered, so not much was done, I was back at work and in the gym in 2 weeks. My hysterectomy was recently done and it was LAVH LSO this time I am off for 8 weeks and no gym for 6 weeks, I am taking it easy don't want to bust a stitch or cause any problems. Talk with your doc, you'll be up and walking the next day, with maybe some shoulder pain and minimal incision pain. Easy exercise will probably be fine like walking, and build up as you feel better. For high intensity exercise you'll probably have to wait 6 weeks.
Unread 02-06-2006, 07:14 PM

I had a Bilat Oophorectomy with salpigectomy on Feb 1, 2006. Today is the fifth day, and I get tired, but overall feel pretty good. I plan to go back to work this Wed. The lifting restrictions are nothing over 10 pounds for six weeks. My stomach is still a little swollen, but I feel I can finally wear jeans, and will try tomorrow. The worst part for me was the gassy feeling and problems with bowel movements for four days. I also had my utereus removed about twelve years ago with abdominal incision... that surgery was alot harder to recover from.. Hope this info helps you.. womynn *s
Unread 02-06-2006, 08:37 PM

Hi,

I'm also an elementary school teacher, so I know you'll have to have your stamina back. I had my surgery on January 26th and I went back to work 12 days later. I missed 7 1/2 school days. I feel fully recovered, except for a tiny bit of achiness. I had endo removed and an ovary and large cyst removed. Hope this helps. I think it's better to take extra time if you need it to make sure that you're fully recovered.

Good luck!
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:36 PM

I had laparoscopic removal of one ovary 4 weeks ago. It was much harder than I expected. To be fair, I must say that I also had a bunch of lymph nodes removed, removal of adhesions, and repair from my tah, which was two months earlier. Anyway, I could no more have gone back to work after two weeks than I could have flown to the moon. I just started back part time after four weeks. As for lifting restrictions, the doctor just cleared me to pick up my grandson.

I also thought things would be back to normal in 2 weeks. Maybe they would have if I hadn't just had a hyster and if the new surgery had just been the ovary removal. Life is full of surprises.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.