HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Vaginal Cuff...How much post op bleeding is normal? Vaginal Cuff...How much post op bleeding is normal?

Unread 02-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Vaginal Cuff...How much post op bleeding is normal?

I'm on day 27 post op. I started bleeding from the cuff on day 12. I've seen the doc twice since then, he's examined me internally both times and said that everything looks just fine, however the bleeding doesn't seem to be slowing down. In fact, I feel as if it's slowly been picking up pace. It's more like a light period now. The coloring has changed though. It seems to be deeper in color now, but unfortunately has a stronger smell to it...almost a bit foul. How long does it take for the cuff to heal where the bleeding will finally stop seeping through? Is there an average length of time, cause I would have thought that 4 weeks post op would have been a good number. I'm feeling very stressed over this bleeding issue! Ugh!

I'm also still having bad bladder pain and I'm terribly restless because of all the bleeding, and I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't go take a urine culture as well. I'm not real convinced I didn't get a bladder infection from the catheter in the hospital.

And now I don't know if I should slow down my routine again. Doc said I could go walking, but now that I'm actively walking and driving again I seem to be bleeding more. I think I'm ready to run away!
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:08 AM

I had terrible bleeding 10 days in. In fact it was so bad that it was running down my legs when I woke up in the morning and got in the shower. The doctor said that part was from the pooling that happens when you're sleeping in the night. Apparently ALOT of bleeding is normal because I went through 5 overnight pads that weekend each day! Finally by Monday it had slowed down and now its light tan color. I am told you can bleed for awhile off and on while youre healing. I know how it feels to be stressed out and scared. You'll be ok. HUGS to ya!!!
Unread 02-06-2006, 11:08 AM

I definately relate, but it will end! I had bleeding which gradually eased up but it took me a good 2 months. I had a vaginal hyster with rectocele grafting. Hang in there & look forward to freedom from pads forever!
Unread 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM

I had my TVH 12 days ago and have been having a light colored discharge since then -- so little that I can wear a single panty liner all day to take care of it. Suddenly, yesterday evening, I felt a large amount of discharge, checked to see what was going on, and saw bright red blood had filled my panty liner. Needless to say, it made me nervous. My doc's office told me that I should be concerned unless I use up a full pad in less than an hour, and it tapered off right away after that little flood. It definitely is scary, and it makes me wonder if I'm doing something (twisting, reaching, bending) that I shouldn't be or if it's the vaginal cuff I've heard about. I hope it settles down for you soon.
Unread 02-06-2006, 12:50 PM

Oh boy ladies, that much blood? Ugh. I thought I gave up that long term bleeding on the table. I really wish I'd had time to mentally prepare for the it to continue after surgery. I haven't had sex with my husband since June cause that's the last time I wasn't bleeding.

I think what I dont understand the most is why it takes tissue, that is clearly stitched, so long to stop bleeding and close up for good already. Guess I need to do more investigational work.

Unread 02-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Hello, I had my surgery on 1-10 and experienced some bleeding about two weeks after. Now is is very dark in color and only happens once in awhile, perhaps you are doing too much, I have heard if you start overdoing it, that will cause you to bleed.
Unread 02-06-2006, 02:14 PM

Well I thought that I was overdoing it too, but the doctor said otherwise. That's why I'm at such a loss.

Hmmmm...
Unread 02-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Hi racinlizard

We all heal at different rates and react in various ways to surgery. I didn't have much bleeding but had an aching pelvic region for 3 months. I also had a couple of days of spotting 3 1/2 months post-op after running around on Christmas errands for 4 days in a row. My GYN said I was a slow healer. It sounds as if you're on top of this with your doctor - did he give you any idea how long to expect the bleeding to pass? You are still fairly early in your recovery

and keep us up-dated
Unread 02-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'm on top of it...probably more than I should be. Doc didn't give me any indication as to what length of time would be. Tried to be positive and tell me that everything looks good, you know, blah, blah, blah. I guess he hasn't gotten the real feel of how I am such a big baby when it comes to this. He thinks I'm tough because I had so many problems in the hospital and I handled them all like a trooper. Blood, however, I draw the line at. I've had a real rough year so I'd say that psychologically I'm not doing well with this one.

Not to mention that the top of the sanitary pads are really starting to irritate the bottom of my vertical incision site! Ouch!

Thank you all for your input. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to, at the very least, vent.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.