HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what is a closed womb? what is a closed womb?

Unread 02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
what is a closed womb?

I am 49 my periods used to be very normal. I could almost pin point the hour I would start my period month to month. For the past year or so they have gotten very irregular. Sometimes 20 days a part. I have had pain in my left side and lower back. As time has past the pain has gotten worst. I can't do housework longer then a hour before it gets so bad I have to guit. Everytime I mentioned the pain in the past to doctors they said I had a kindey infection and gave me meds. I went to the GYN last week and they found a polyp on my cervix. They then did an ultra sound and found my womb is closed. Not sure what that means. My uterus is very enlarged. The Dr. tried to do a bisoby of the uterus but said "she couldn't get in." She said I would have to have a D and C. She also said I would probaly need to have a hysterectomy because of the size of my uterus and the problems I am having. She doesn't want to do the hysterectomy before the D and C because she wants to rule out cancer.

What is a closed womb and what causes it?

thanks
Jeanett
Unread 02-06-2006, 08:24 PM
what is a closed womb?

Hi jeanettr

There are a few things that could cause a closed womb. The cervix could be thickened, or "stenosed", a fibroid or other growth could be in the way. In my case, a tumor had formed near my cervix, closing it. I had exactly the same experience at my GYN's that you did.

A D&C is the best way for your doctor to see exactly what's going on in your case and it looks like yours is right on it!

Best wishes
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:52 AM
what is a closed womb?

Wouldn't a tumor or fiborid have showed up on the ultrasound? The doctor didn't mention either. Her trying to do the biobsy hurt so much I didn't think of questions.

Jeanett
Unread 02-09-2006, 08:10 PM
what is a closed womb?

Scar tissue on the cervix could do it too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.