HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Has anyone taken prednisone right before surgery or during? Has anyone taken prednisone right before surgery or during?

Unread 02-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Has anyone taken prednisone right before surgery or during?

I started taking a high dose of prednisone 2 days ago due to statis dermatitis. My legs were completely broken out from top to bottem and all swollen. Thankfully the prednisone is working and they are starting to get better.

I meet my surgeon on Monday 2/13 and hope to have a surgery date within 7 to 10 days. I am wondering if being on prednisone will be a problem or if the fact that I just had leg problems, will be.

Has any one else used prednisone around their surgery time?
Unread 02-09-2006, 11:36 AM

I have never taken this medication. I think the best course of action would be for you to communicate this with your doctor to see what he/she recommends. They need to be aware of any medications you are taking.

Hope this helps. I hope someone who has taken this medication will come along to offer more insight.
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:19 AM

Hi Kinaz,

I haven't had my TAH yet, it is scheduled for Feb. 22. But just last Saturday, I developed severe tendonitis in my left wrist. I went to my MD and he wanted to give me a steroid shot, and Prednisone for it. I told him I was having surgery and he said most surgeons don't like their patients to take steroids or any type of anti-inflammatory drugs within two weeks of surgery. So, I went home with a wrist splint and only take Tylenol for it. Only your Dr. can make that decision, so be sure to tell him. He can always schedule it for 2 weeks after you finish the Prednisone. Good luck
Carolyn
Unread 02-10-2006, 02:00 AM

Thanks Carolyn, I will ask him. It is working so well, hopefully I can stop it by the time I see him. I really want to have this surgery by the end of feb.

Mjd....prednisone is an oral steroid. I have taken it in the past for asthma flairs ups, but this time it was for my legs.
Unread 02-10-2006, 07:33 AM

I have been on pred during surgeries, and have had no problems. My doc knew, and gave me the required dose in my IV on the day of surgery and ordered it for hospital days.
Unread 02-11-2006, 01:50 AM

Thanks Julie, that is good to know. I was afraid he might tell me I have to get off of it and get it out of my system before the surgery.
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:19 AM

I am on a dose pack of Medrol for an IC flare, Medrol is methylprednisolone- a steroid that is very similar to prednisone but is more synthetic and my surgeon is the one that put me on it, (I am going in on the 22nd too Texangel!!!!) the reasons most surgeons do not want patients on steroids before any sort of surgery is because it lowers the immune system and clotting- weird or what???? (something that is helping actually lowers our immunity.0 Since you are about finished with it, and you may have your surgery at the end of the month, it may not be an issue, but like everyone says: talk to your surgeon and let them know that you have taken it, it just may be that they may have to take extra precautions and not hold off on your surgery. Good luck!!!!!
Unread 02-11-2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrini35
the reasons most surgeons do not want patients on steroids before any sort of surgery is because it lowers the immune system and clotting- weird or what???? (something that is helping actually lowers our immunity.
It does sound weird, but makes sense when you take into account that the things we take pred for are actually a result of our immune systems getting a bit out of control. I take it for colitis... basically an inflamed colon, which as you might imagine, is not a fun time. The inflammation is actually the immune system fighting what it thinks is an "invader" when it is really your own body.
Unread 02-11-2006, 11:59 PM

High dose or extended steroid use can cause the immune system to weaken, which can increase your chance of infection. The doc will make the call.

One thing I wanted to ask/point out...you said you were meeting your doc and hoping to get a surgery date within 7-10 days. Unless you have some kind of emergency going on, good luck getting it that fast! First they have to see if you need any more tests and why you need the surgery (lab, ultrasound, cat scan, etc), get the insurance approval (could take one day to more than one month!), then find room in the doctor's schedule, then make sure it fits with the hospital surgery schedule. I know sometimes they can schedule it quickly, but don't let yourself get too excited about getting it quick, because it may not happen until later. My surgery date was going to be quick (and this was with a dr who already operated on me before and knew me), but was delayed three times because the insurance took forever to approve it. I kept getting myself all ready, mentally prepared, only to be let down. It would have been a lot easier on my head if I just had one date (even if it were the last one when I finally had my surgery) than to let me thing it was coming up really soon and then have to reschedule. I hope you can get your surgery as soon as possible because waiting can be very hard, but make sure your prepared just in case it takes longer.
Unread 02-12-2006, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. I sure hope I get the surgery soon because I am already off on medical leave. It was the surgeons phone receptionist who told me that they usually do surgery within 7 to 10 days of your appointment. I sure hope they are correct. I live in a big city and I know they operate out of different hospitals. I guess it will depend mostly on what they already have schuduled and where openings are.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.