HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

No Hrt Success  Stories: No Hrt Success Stories:

Unread 02-09-2006, 01:49 AM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I would like to hear from sisters who are doing well not taking any HRT following the removal of both ovaries. Were you on any HRT after your surgery? I am 53 years of age and wonder if I would feel better not taking any HRT at all. How long have you been off HRT and are you better or worse than expected by not using hormones. Thanks and take care......
Unread 02-09-2006, 03:47 AM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I had my TAH with removal of ovaries on Dec 20, 2005. I have elected not to use HRT. I'm trying to work things out naturally. I use Arbonne's Phyto Prolief, natural balancing cream, take Estroven, Vitamin E and Night Prim Rose Oil. I am terrific during the day with few hot flashes. It seems the more active I am, the less hot flashes. I own and operate a commercial embroidery business and have been back to work since week 2-no heavy lifting. I'm still working through the nightsweats and insomnia. I'm only sleeping for about 2 hours, than waking up for a short bit. I go back to sleep fairly quickly, but would love at least 4 hrs straight. I'm confident that this will get better! This is a terrific place to investigate HRT! Good luck with your decision!
Unread 02-09-2006, 05:34 AM
No Hrt Success Stories:

Hey Little Vixen,
Had my Hyst. on Dec.13, no HRT. here.Had very severe endo, and breast cancer on both sides of family. No isomnia, some hot flashes, bad ones are mainly at night. Right now I'm just taking my reg, daily vit. and and extra Vit. C, D, and calcium pill. And one St.Joe's baby asprine a day.
Unread 02-09-2006, 08:55 AM
No Hrt Success Stories:

Here is a link to a thread with several who have decided not to take hrt, and how they are doing:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=239095

If you do get off, it may take several weeks for you to notice any changes before the estrogen that is stored is used up.

I would wean off over a period of time to avoid any bad side effects.

I went to a lower patch for a year and now I am taking it and snipping off a piece of it. I have tried to just completely go off and for me it was headaches and hot flashes and so weaning seems to be more comfortable.

Good luck to you.

s
Unread 02-12-2006, 01:00 AM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I have not had any HRT.
My doc had told me before surgery that we would wait and see if I needed them. He said that since I was at that 'magic' age of 51 and I should have been starting menopause on my own.

I have had one or two warm spells [for about 5 minutes] without sweats and one time only that I cried without warning. Otherwise I feel great and have to remind myself that I did have surgery and am recovering.

Best of luck to all of you,

Nancy
Unread 02-12-2006, 10:31 AM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I'm not taking any HRT due to severe endometriosis. It hasn't been that bad for me. The hot flashes have pretty much gone away, never really experienced any night sweats. The mood swings have even slowed down for me. I had a SAH on Nov 4th. I'm hesitant about even going on it. I'm still feeling some of the things from the endo and I just don't want to feed it any more by giving it more estrogen. I go back to see my doctor in a couple of months, we will discuss then if HRT is for me or if it would just be better to stay off of it. I'm opting for staying off of it. I'm feeling pretty good so far and I hope to continue feeling this way. Still have some pain, but I will take this over what I was experiencing before the surgery.
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:26 PM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I am using no HRT. I am 8 week spost op. I have night sweats but not so bad i cant stand them. just trow off the covers till I cool down and then cover up again. Hardly any hot flashes during the day time. I am concerned though about sexual issues. i am wondering if HRT would help in tht area. I am having pain and I really am feeling no enjoyment.
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I am also 53 and had TAH including ovaries just 2 weeks ago. I was almost through the menopause and had a shock when told I had endo cancer and had the op 3 weeks after diagnosis. I am totally cured but am not permitted to take hormone replacement because my cancer was hormone driven. I have a few hot flushes a day but nothing like the ones I was having during peri. I dont feel too bad at all. I think if you take hormones it just delays the inevitable. At some point you will have to come off them and than you get all the sweats etc anyway.
Unread 03-27-2006, 02:07 PM
No Hrt Success Stories:

57 and figured I was half way through menapause when they found the fibroids. I decided at the beginning (peri-menapause) that I would try to struggle along without any HRT UNLESS it become too uncomfortable for me. So far it hasn't.

The hot flashes/night sweats come and go. Some days are better than others. If I was going to make a suggestion, I'd say, try it on your own for a while and if it gets to much, try the HRT.
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:46 PM
No Hrt Success Stories:

I am not on HRT due to endo. I get a few hot flashes a day, which are intense, but they don't last long (2 to 4 minutes.) I dress in layers, and at work I keep a personal fan on my desk and I turn it on when I get a hot flash. This works great for me, but I do realize not everyone is at a desk at work as I have not always worked at a desk. So far I haven't had any night sweats, so I hope I continue to stay lucky there. I'm 53 years old, and even if I was able to go on HRT, I don't think I would have due to the side effects.
Caroline

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.