HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Upper Left Abdominal Pain 8mo. after Surgery anyone else?? Upper Left Abdominal Pain 8mo. after Surgery anyone else??

Unread 02-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Upper Left Abdominal Pain 8mo. after Surgery anyone else??

I had a complete hysterectomy ovaries, tubes, uterus all gone via a laperoscopy in 2003. Previously I had 2 other laperoscopy surgeries to remove ovarian cysts and endometriosis. I was pain free and great for 8 mo. after the surgery then upper left abdominal pain began. I have been to over 12 doctors in the past 3 years and no one has found a reason. I have seen GI, OBGYN, Endocrinoligists, Internists, Homeopathic, Chiropratic, Acupuncturists, and more with little or no help. The pain is to the point I can not function or do simple house work. I have vomiting and nausea plus chest pains similar to heart acttack symptoms with the radiating pain down the left arm. I have had all this check out and so far everything is fine. Some days I have no pain and other days I take 1.5 Vicadin every 2 hours just to try and function. The pain cycles just like when I had ovarian cysts. Part of the tests showed cysts on the spleen but most docs won't acknowledge them to cause problems. I was wondering if it could be adhesions and scar tissue and if anyone else has had similar problems?
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:21 AM

Are you taking any HRT. I also had endometriosis and cysts and had everything removed. My doctor wants me to wait as long as possible to take any HRT because he said the estrogen can cause the endo to grow back again if they missed any small little piece of it. He said sometimes it is so small that they could miss some. Have you had a catscan or anything. He told me that is not uncommon after a hysterectomy that some women may still have to have a laporascopy done down the road if they feel that the endo may have returned somewhere else.
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM

Have you talked to the doc about the possiblitiy of it being adhesions? I know that is something that my doc and I talked about and he said it was a catch 22 because you could perform surgery to remove adhesions but inevidebly the scar tissue would come back and it would be uncertain if there would be pain relief or not. Said it was a common diffuculty with endo. scars.
Unread 02-10-2006, 04:55 PM

Yes I was on HRT but I am allergic to all the types I tried (over 9 inluding pills, patches, creams). I spent the first two years after surgey trying to find a dose I could tolerate. I quit estrogen therapy in june-05. I am now schedualed to meet with a surgon on 2-20 to discuss an exploratory laperoscopy. I do use natural progestrone cream and take soy isoflavions to help with the symptoms of menopause. But it has not helped with the pain. I have had several CAT-CT scans, endoscopes, colonoscopies, upper GI with small bowl follow through, even swallowed a camera which filmed the whole GI track, and several ultra sounds. Plus countless blood, urine, stool tests, full metabolic profile with bone density testing. Only cysts on the spleen were found and only on a few of the scans. The only test missing is a MRI which my current doc feel would not be helpful. I am scared and do not really know what to try. Thank you for your helpful info to all.
Unread 02-12-2006, 07:56 AM

Let us know what the doc. says on the 20th. I hope you find some relief soon!!
Unread 02-12-2006, 09:02 AM

I am a bit scared but we will see. I will definently let everyone know what happens.
Unread 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM

I went to the Doctor and he won't touch my case. I did find out that there is not a doc in my area which does surgeries for scar tissue. I am now looking for a doc in colorado or possibly south dakota. Thanks again for all the input.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.