HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

post oophorectomy post oophorectomy

Unread 02-10-2006, 09:19 AM
post oophorectomy

Hi!

I had a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy on wed the 8th. I am not feeling as well as expected but am improving. (abdominal soreness and gas pains... the usual stuff) This may sound like a stupid question but is there an initial water retention weight gain? I'm not a very big person and have gained 6 pounds since weighing myself the morning of surgery! I've barely eaten since then I feel terrible about myself now. Obviously I am unable to workout for a few more days... Just very concerned about my body image...
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:33 AM
post oophorectomy

Macie,

Funny you should ask...I just read in an article yesterday about pre-op and post-op that a lot of times, a person will put on weight after the surgery. It stated that your body will retain fluid and that it's your body's natural response to the stress it's been through and will resolve as your body recovers. I think it's normal.

Lisa
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:52 PM
post oophorectomy

Macie mae, I had my surgry on the 24th open ovary and 16cm mass. I did feel really swollen but I went to my 2 week check up and I had lost 4 pounds! I never even threw up or anything.
Rene
Unread 02-11-2006, 07:05 AM
post oophorectomy

I had bilat oophorectomy with salpingectomy Feb1, 2006. The first few days I had alot of gas and frequent unination. Walking helped with the gas movment, and the frequency with urination has gotten better. If you feel you are retaining an excess amount of water, call your physician, they may be able to order something to help you feel more comfortable. Cheers to a speedy and healthy recovery. womynn
Unread 02-11-2006, 08:52 AM
post oophorectomy

Hi maciemae
I think it is pretty common to retain some fluid right after surgery. This is one reason it is important to drink lots of water. It will help flush out your system and make you feel better all around.
If it is a concern, its never a bad idea to call and ask the dr either. I hope it will get for you in the next few days. Don't stress the early stuff too much. It will get better.
's,Rita
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:10 AM
post oophorectomy

Hi,

I had the same thing. I gained 4 pounds after my surgery and I hadn't even eaten anything and had a 2 day bowl prep!

The good news is it dropped, almost overnight, after about 3-4 days, much to my relief.

The good news is I've been able to keep it off after I recovered because my stomach had shrunk and I couldn't it large portions.

Losing these last 5 stubborn pounds was one benefit of my surgery!

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:35 AM
post oophorectomy

Take a deep breath, you JUST had surgery. That should be gone by the 5th day. I too brought 5lbs. home and it left after the 5th day. Myself I am small frame and physically fit soI can understand how you feel. I think it's a combination of swelling, retintion, and gas. Drink LOTS of water, eat fiber & fruit, and walk. Not too worry, you'll be missing that 6lbs in not time.

gadecko
Unread 02-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks for support

Thank you everyone. I am still unbelievably sore and tender which my doctor down played in the pre-op. I usually work out 7 days a week so staying down is rough. My weight is still up but my stomach is still large so it should be. I figure in a day or two it might go down. It was nice to see that others understand! Thank you!
Unread 02-11-2006, 06:19 PM
post oophorectomy

Hi, I just had my surgery on Thursday and I didn't feel like my stomach was swollen or any of that the first day. Then yesterday, I just watched my stomach blow up like a little round ball sticking straight out. I could tell it was swelling. I bet I couldn't get my pants even close to buttoning. My doctor told me I would be sore for about 4 or 5 days, but not how sore. I had to call him back yesterday and ask about my right side hurting so bad. When I would step down on my right foot or try to put my right leg in the bed and sitting on the toilet mad my side feel like it was going to fall out. I still feel this today but not as bad. Something is going on in that area, I just don't know what. I am keeping a rice sock heated on that area. My back is hurting from laying on it so much. The gas is really bad too.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.