HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Has anyone had a failed cystocele repair? Has anyone had a failed cystocele repair?

Unread 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM
Has anyone had a failed cystocele repair?

I just discovered another bladder prolapse after having surgery 4 months ago!! I'm quite upset and a bit disheartened. I asked the Dr. what the chances of a reoccurence was and she said it wouldn't happen......I haven't called her, yet. I don't want to. I just need to cry for a while and get it all out of my system first. Sorry......I wanted to know if anyone else had this happen and what the outcome for you was.
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:19 AM

I'm so sorry this happened to you, (big hugs) I have a question, how do you know that your bladder has prolapsed? I feel like my pee is always on the verge of coming out, like it's on the edge or something. I don't know if I'm explaining this right. I was leaking but now just seems like I have to pee all of the time and only a few drops will come out. Any ideas, anyone please?????
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:24 AM

I can actually touch my bladder. It is protruding from the vagina. I prayed I was wrong, but I went and, sorry about TMI, got a mirror. There it is.........
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:25 AM

Have you had your urine checked for UTI, or bladder infection?
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:33 AM

I had the cystocele along with my Hys & my doc was very blunt with me & said it may re-occur. I think you might want to find a different doctor??? I found a fantastic urogynocologist for my surgery in January. It is a new specialty that works specifically on pelvic floor issues (prolapse, etc). I would highly recommend looking for a doctor in that specialty if you can. You can find a registry of doctors online if you search for Urogynocologists. Good luck & I hope you can get your problem fixed asap!

~Krista
Unread 02-10-2006, 10:40 AM

to grdnlve: Yes, I'm on Cipro.. right now. I don't have any of the burning so I wasn't sure.. My primary doctor said I have "a little infection" just peed in a cup.. He told me I need to see my sergeon.. I'm hoping this will clear it up before my appt on Thursday. TMI ok, I just checked in there and can't find anything.. Just feels wet. could the pee or whatever it is be coming from there? This weekend hubby and I are going to take a walk outside (up and down hills) that's when I'll know for sure if I've stopped leaking our not.
Unread 02-10-2006, 11:28 AM

readyforgym your explaination sounds like how i was when i had prolaspe. If cauight soon enough you may not be able to feel your bladder falling into your vagina. My was not like grdn's where you could see it or feel it. And if I could feel it I didn't know what I was feeling. Anyway leaking and feeling like you have to go all the time could be alot of things, prolaspe, infection, interstitial cystitis, ect... so following up with a uro is the best thing you can do.

And for grdnlve I agree with Krista in that my uro was very blunt about it may not work too however he did tell me that he has only had this happen to him a few times. So I would find another uro because there is no guarentee that it will. I had a issue after mine where I had to go back in for out patient to clip a piece of the sling out and stitch up the wall of my vagina. This is called erosion. So it all depends on your body on whether the areas used to hold the sling are strong enough. My erosion happened because my vaginal wall was to thin therefore it could not hold back the sling causing it to break through was nothing the uro did. Anyway I would get a second opinion on this Because it is pretty bad that it has fallen so that you can see and feel it in such a short time.
Unread 02-10-2006, 04:47 PM

My urogynecologist did tell me before my surgery that there are really no guarantees, but he said his success rate was very high. I guess it is the fear of all of us who have had the surgery that we will prolapse again. I am sorry this happened to you. If you do go to a different Dr. be sure to get your surgery reports from the Dr. who did the surgery or from the hospital where the surgery was performed so the new Dr. will know what was done. I hope everything turns out for you. I would be very discouraged too.
Sherry
Unread 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM

grdnlvr,
I am facing your nightmare also. I had a LAVH with cystocele repair (bladder tack) only 8 weeks ago and last week I felt a bulge again...my bladder prolaspe is back also. I was out of work for 4 weeks with my initial surgery in Dec/Jan and do not feel that I can be out again so soon so I have not called my doctor either. I am afraid of what I will hear from him and afraid of more surgery. He is a uro/gyn....the only one on my medical insurance so I can't change doctors. He is very young and gave me NO guidelines or restrictions during my recovery ...only told me to do what I felt like doing. At my 2 week check up he turned me loose for all activites but I tried to restrict myself based on what others on this sight could and could not do. I feel like I must have unintentionally done something to cause my repair to fail. I will call him next week and schedule a appt to see what my next step should be. I did not have any leakage prior to my first repair and do not have any now (only a bulge and feeling that I have a UTI) so don't have any idea what he will do next. Good luck and please keep me updated as we are in the same boat!!!
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:09 PM

I have a question--how do you KNOW what you're feeling/seeing is your bladder? I mean, the normal tissues are in there, too...it's not hollow/open inside....or is it? This is horrible that I don't know, I realize that. How do you know what you see and/or feel is not just the walls of the vagina?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.