HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How was recovery for only cyst and scar tissue removal? How was recovery for only cyst and scar tissue removal?

Unread 02-13-2006, 11:03 AM
How was recovery for only cyst and scar tissue removal?

I was looking back and didn't see if any of you had gone into surgery thinking you were losing your ovary and then came out with only the cyst removed. This is what happened to me. When I was discharged from the hospital they still told me the same recovery time, 2 weeks and can't drive for 14 days etc.
I thought I remembered someone on here replying to me about removing just the cyst was harder than taking out the ovary. I can't find that post now. My doctor didn't really say why he left my ovary, just that he was able to remove the cyst and keep my ovary which is what I had wanted as long as everything looked ok. He said the cyst was the size of a tennis ball. He did say it looked benign and that he will send it off and know in a few days. He said he didn't think I had anything to worry about. I have been having a lot of pain in my right side, the opposite side of where he was working. I will wake up thinking it is better and it increases throughout the day.

Does anyone know if they have to poke and prod more to get just the cyst out or what? It feels like my kidney area is bruised. I haven't had any trouble with urinating. What about removing the scar tissue, does that cause you to have more pain than if they just went in and cut away the ovary? He didn't know if I had any or not beforehand. I don't see him until a week from today.
Unread 02-13-2006, 01:44 PM

s Cheryl

I don't have any experience with your situation, but I did want to stop by and wish you well.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can help out.

in there

Unread 02-16-2006, 04:57 PM

When I had laparoscopic surgery to remove my right ovary (due to a complex cyst) and adhesions the recovery was longer than when I had a LAVH. My recovery was about 8 weeks - this was because the adhesions were extensive. Removing adhesions could mean a longer recovery depending on the severity and location of the adhesions.

Be sure to get some pampering.

Unread 02-17-2006, 08:16 AM

I had laparoscopic explor surgery to find the cause of my pain on my right side. Durring the surgery he found lots of scar tissue and removed it. He had been watching a cyst on my right ovary durring this time and said if he saw a problem he would remove the ovary at that time also. Since my pain was on my right and the cyst was on my left, he wasn't sure exactly what he would find. If he was, he didn't mention it to me but he is the one who suggested the surgery. I woke up in recovery and my husband said he found alot of scar tissue and removed it and also drained the cyst while he was in there. He didn't remove the cyst or my ovary. My husband even handed me pic's he had taken of it. Told him nothing to worry about and the nothing looked out of the "ordinary." I was home within a hr of waking up.
This was a Wed and scheduled to go back to work on Monday. He called me at home the next day to say he got pathology back on the fluid he had drained from the cyst and that he was "shocked" and I needed to come to his office today. That was the start of the stress and roller coaster.....ca125 testing/consulting gyn/onc. 2 1/2 weeks later I had the abdominal incission for my LSO. Since no "precautions" were taken in the draining of the cyst, I had to have a abdominal washing to make sure that if any cells had spilled out into my abdominal cavity they were cleaned up. This caused every organ to be handled and bruised and made for a slower recovery.....this is what the dr said a week later at my staple removal when I asked why I still CANT MOVE! Sorry that was so long.

The more you are poked and proded the longer it will take for recovery. I feel that stress is a major factor of recovery. We tend to worry ourselves sick. I know from the time I got the call from my dr till I got the benign results from my LSO every little pain was another reason to worry. Thank God for this site.

Vicky
Unread 02-18-2006, 06:50 AM

How could they find Cancerous cvells and no cancer? Does that mean that the cyst was cancerous and removed? and the ovary wasn't ? scary that it wa sdrained and then they discovered the path was ca.Is it possible the path report was wrong ( first time?) . I am glad to hear it all turned out Ok.Wish there was a better way to tell what was going on instead of exploratory poking about.
Unread 02-18-2006, 08:23 AM

The cells found in the fluid drained from the cyst were diagnosed as papillary clusters some of which have a central psammoma bodies. These cells can either be begnin or malignant. Some cells having calcification, i believe, was the major cause for concern. Had the ca125 test that came back at 6 but didn't ease any of the stress. That 2 weeks between the call at home and the benign results are a blur.

The explor surg removed my scar tissue that was causing my pain and found whatever this was growing so I'm so glad i agreed to it and this was found very early. The ovary was removed 2 1/2 weeks later thru a abdominal incission. Pathology on the ovary came back BEGNIN.

My mom died from cancer at 38 so I have a d*****ate history. Luckily I have a excellent dr who suggested the explor surgery and got me to agree to it.

Vicky
Unread 02-18-2006, 12:07 PM

I too have a cancer history..How was recovery from abdominal incision? was it a vertical one? that is what I am getting.
Unread 02-18-2006, 05:32 PM

Recovery was slow. Had the bikini incission but its pretty much hip to hip. I had 2 previous csections before. One with vertical incission, one bikini incission. I thought this would be easier. Just be able to relax and wouldn't have babies to take care or afterwards. I was slow going for 3 weeks. My dr said the abdominal washing and all the handleing of my insides had alot to do with how slow it was. Being 18 yrs older since my last csection I'm sure was part of it too. My hyster recovery and my explor surgery recovery were quick but they were laprascopic.

Vicky

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.