HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Trish - question Progesterone & Yeast Connection Trish - question Progesterone & Yeast Connection

Unread 04-22-2001, 07:57 PM
Trish - question Progesterone & Yeast Connection

Okay everybody. Where do I start? Should I start with the probable causes and then the symptoms? If I was smart like Trish, I'd write an article! So I'll just throw out some stuff and then we'll go from there.

When our immune system is strong, then the yeasts in our body causes no problems. But when things get our bodies out of balance, then the yeasts can grow and put out toxins that weaken the immune system even more. What can cause this overgrowth of yeasts? Antibiotics, BCP, pregnancy, steroids by pill, injection, or inhalation (like prednisone), diabetes, sugar rich diets, and genital irritations & abrasions (I don't know what that means and why it would provoke a weakened immune system). I think where estrogen and thyroid play a part is this--Estrogen given alone can cause low thyroid. Low thyroid causes a decreased immune system, which can lead to an increase in yeasts population.

What are some of the symptoms?

1. fatigue
2. feeling drained
3. depression
4. numbness, burning, or tingling
5. headache
6. muscle aches
7. muscle weakness
8. pain and/or swelling in joints
9. stomach pain
10. constipation and/or diarrhea
11. bloating, belching, or gas
12. vaginal burning, itching or discharge
13. low libido
14. endometriosis or infertility
15. cold hands or feet, low body temp
16. shaking or irritable when hungry
17. cystitis
18. incoordination
19. dizziness
20. sinus problems
21. pressure above ears, feeling of head swelling
22. tendency to bruise easily
23. eczema, itching eyes
24. psoriasis
25. chronic hives
plus about 20 more symptoms.

When listening to the doctor speak about yeasts, I kept hearing some of the same symptoms over and over in his case studies such as restless legs at night (yeasts come out at night, ewwww), burning, itching, just don't feel good anymore, hypoglycemia, very weak (cannot pick up heavy things anymore), asthma, allergies and some more I ccannot think of right now.

His suggestion of treatment included antifungal medication from the doctor and changing the diet (one thing was to leave out sugars since yeasts love sugar). I would encourage anyone who thinks they have a yeasts overgrowth to buy some of the books available out there. I was so freaked out about it that I went to the grocery store and bought everything I could that was good for minimizing the yeast problem. I think my little 4 year old may have it because of persistant cradle cap, lots of ear wax (a symptom of yeasts), and has always acted very very strange and different. For awhile I just knew he was autistic.

Okay. I hope this was okay. I'm open for some good discussion!
Unread 04-22-2001, 07:59 PM

When of the first symptoms I notice when my progesterone levels get too high is that horrible itchy vaginal feeling (usually followed closely with a UTI).
Unread 04-23-2001, 07:17 AM

Lauren,
I did the same thing after reading "The Yeast Connection"...ran around getting rid of yeast promoting foods and stocking up on yogurt! I remember taking the book to my pcp who just laughed and said that I shouldn't believe everything I read...yea right. I've since discovered that I'm one of those people that has a problem with yeast. I think (but dont' know for sure) that it all started when I was a kid and on antibiotics constantly...during the age of antibiotics being the cure-all wonderdrugs. I'm STILL trying to build up my immune system. One book that you might be interested in is: Allergies and Holistic Healing by Skye Weintraub. There's a chapter just about yeast and a list of supplements to take to help out with it...one being oregano oil capsules which are actually pretty cheap. There's also a lot of stuff about how our environment affects our kids, how to desensitize yourself to allergens etc. Yep...let's get a discussion going (hint to trish for another article ) And eeeewwwww....I didn't realize that the yeastie beasties came out at night....<shudders>
Unread 04-23-2001, 08:49 AM

Hi,
You all seem to know much more than I when it comes to the yeast connection for sure. I have a big questions if anyone knows please help. I have one ovary without estrogen replacement my estrogen levels were .42 with it
100pg/ml on 1mg a day, and currently 2mg a day levels are about 200 pg/ml a day. My progesterone levels are within normal range 0.6 ng/ml I think the estrogen, progesterone levels are ok but I still get yeast infections almost every month at mid month. I never got yeast infections before my hysterectomy. Anyone know what it is to much estrogen? to much progesterone? or is it stability? I am taking estrace twice a day now. Thanks for any input. I really dont know what the ratio of Estrogen to Progestrone should be and if this will stop the yeast problems.
Unread 04-23-2001, 09:28 AM

My yeast problems started after a heavy round of antibotics about 8 years ago. I went to round after round of doctors (sound familiar? Sigh, the story of my life) Finally a friend mentioned Candida and the symptoms of yeast intolerance. I stopped all bread products and started taking acidolphius (sp?) and also started reading labels very carefully. You would be surprised how many things on the grocery store shelves contain yeast and/or yeast derivatives. I did get better until all my female troubles started. Recently, within about the last 4 months I have gotten much much worse. I started back on the acidolphius and am trying to watch what I eat much more carefully. But nothing seems to be helping. So I think there may be a connection here.
Unread 04-23-2001, 11:11 AM
Interesting...

The CA doctor that I spoke with mentioned anti-fungal medication as a possible treatment option for some of my symptoms...I didn't know what he was talking about until NOW! Thanks Lauren!
Unread 04-23-2001, 12:05 PM

I too have a yeast infection. My doctor called it a systemic yeast infection. Is there a difference? Besides the symptoms Lauren mentioned, can this also cause the brain fogginess? I wonder if some of the problems I have contributed to HRT are really from the yeast infection. My doctor prescribed an antifungal - difilcan(sp) and acidolphius and oregeno capsule everyday. Does anyone know the side effects of difilcan, because I have been feeling even worse since taking it, but that could be other things I am on. Peace to all..
Carole A
Unread 04-23-2001, 01:50 PM

Carole,
I've taken diflucan for yeast too...for me it would give me stomache cramps/slight queasiness and diarrhea for about a week after taking one. I've heard (forget where though) that if you take too many of them that it can affect your liver. Right now I take (daily) oregano capsules, acidophilus 3x per day and something called "yeast cleanse" by a company called Solaray. I finally seem to be evening out but I did have what they call "yeast die off" ugh...symptoms actually got worse for about a week and then got better. Maybe that's what's happening to you? Hope you feel better!
Unread 04-23-2001, 07:29 PM

Tracy, I'm glad you mentioned the 'die off' of the yeasts. When they're dying off, they release more toxins and you can feel worse. It doesn't to happen to everyone but it is something to be aware of.

Carole, your therapy sounds perfect. You may want to start on the diet, however, so the yeasts won't come back. May want to try it for at least a month to see if you feel better. yes, brain fogginess is another symptom of yeasts. I just started the diet today and did rather well. Usually I have to have Blue Bell ice cream after supper but I didn't even think about it. I hope I can do this.

Vikki, it does sound like you have a yeast problem. You may want to seriously consider the medication and the diet.
Unread 04-24-2001, 09:20 AM

Wow! I never thought there would be such a response to this post.

The Compounding Pharmacist suggest acidolphis(?) and yogart. I don't have vaginal yeast problems - mine are other symptoms that indicate the Yeast Connection. I'm waiting for the book No More Heartburn by Sherry Rogers which was recommended by the Pharmacist.

The other posts are right there are herbs that we can take for yeast problems. As soon as I get the book I'll post some of them.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.