HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec

Unread 02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Unhappy - six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec

I had a hysterectomy and bladder suspension six years ago, and now I am facing new bladder suspension, urocele and rectocele as well as a sling to correctly position urethra.

This is terribly frightening once again--in deep depression and having anxiety and panic attacks! Can anyone help me know realistically what to expect?

Please help!
Unread 02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec

I had a LAVH and bladder tack 10 weeks ago. My bladder has already prolapsed again and I also feel a lump of extra something/tissue at the back too....don't know what that is?!!? My doctor told me he did not want to do more surgery just yet. He said my next option was a sling (I don't even know what kind of sling he is referring to?) but as I am not having any leaking issues, he is afraid that if he does go ahead with the sling, it could cause leaking. I am so lost with the situation. He is a uro/gyn so he should be experienced in this field. Yet he is so hesitant to try and fix my prolapse due to potentially causing other problems that I am wondering if I should seek another opinion. I am very uncomfortable with my prolapse and can not imagine going years like this. What has your doctor told you about your sling? Are you having any other problems like leaking? Thanks for any info you have.
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:17 AM
six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec

From what I have read unfortunately once you have a prolapse problem, you are prone to more - I know that stinks. I wish you luck with your upcoming surgery! I have one question - Did your hysterectomy involve some kind of vault suspension? If not you may want to ask - after all you have had everything else prolapse - what would stop that from happening too. Hugs. Keep us posted - I like to hear how everyone is doing as I am having surgery sometime in the next year.
Unread 02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Unhappy - six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec Thanks for responses

I don't know if the doctors have used the term "vault suspension," but will find out. I think they are doing that along with a mesh support and a sling to straighten the urethra. These docs are supposed to be the "best" in the famous Houston Medical Center, and I do like them very much and trust them as well. I was afraid that once the bladder prolapses, it may be hard to avoid future events. My PCP says that I need to allow two full years of lifting nothing over ten pounds if I want this surgery to last longer than the bladder suspension done with the total abdominal hysterectomy.

Thanks for responding! My main problem just now is agnonizing over the long wait--I would just as soon race them to the OR and get the da---- thing over with!
Unread 02-27-2006, 05:41 AM

How long did your initial bladder suspension last? I see that it has been 6 years since your hyst. Did your first suspension fail a while ago and you have just been "living" with it? I need a repair and my doctor does not want to do it yet so I am wondering how long I will have to put up with it also. thanks!!
Unread 02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Unhappy - six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec six years post hysterectomyand bladder suspension and now surgery for urocele and rec

It was done along with the total abdominal hysterectomy but didn't hold. Right now I am wondering if anyone has had a total abdominal hysterectomy and then years later this kind of bladder suspension and repair of rectocele and urocele. If so, how would you compare the surgical pain and recovery between the two. I am terrified at going for surgery again and living through that horrendous pain. I am working on the panic, anxiety, and depression with a therapist who is so wonderful. But I am really frightened about the pain and the who darned ordeal. And this time I will have to continue teaching my online classes about 10 days post-surgery. So if anyone has done both at separate times, can you tell me the difference in the incision and abdominal pain. My therapist keeps reminding me that a 5" incisison this time is going to be MUCH different from the 16 in bikini incision along with an 8" vertical incision inside the abdomin---but I am still terrified and extremely depressed. My PCP refuses to help me with any anti-anxiety meds.
Unread 02-27-2006, 09:50 AM

The vault suspension - means preventing your vagina from falling down too - Please check and make sure they have done or are going to do this as you obviously don't want any more surgeries. I wish you luck - remember we want to hear how you are doing. Hugs.
Unread 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Bowlinggirl--Thanks!

Thank you so much; I will definitely be asking about the vault suspension. I will stay in touch. I am having a terrible time with panic/anxiety attacks and depression and just want to get this all finished. I am even more concerned about this than the hysterectomy, but then after six years I may not remember accurately!

Have you found a doctor yet?

English Prof
Unread 02-28-2006, 01:33 PM

You need a big sister hug. I relate all too well. However, I haven't had my re-do yet so I can't compare. I did have the A/P repair along with the hysterectomy 1 1/2 yrs. ago. The repair is needed again, this time with a vagina prolapse. I have always tried to be careful with lifting, but I felt the "bulge" after I did some heavy yard work last fall. I think I read that some women are prone to have persistent prolapses. I relate, though, prof, and it is very uncomfortable and disconcerting.

As far as your anxiety, I know women whose doctor's prescribed a mild anti depressant to get them through until the time of surgery. Don't be hesitant to push the issue with your doctor. Do you think your surgeon may prescribe something for you as opposed to relying on your PCP? The meds would just be temporary. If not, does your insurance have a patient liason you can speak with who will intervene on your behalf? I have also found that the more questions you can have answered by the doctor or his nursing staff, the more your mind will be put at ease. It makes sense that if you have less stitches, the healing is faster. That's a consolation. Did you have the morphine or demoral pump with your last surgery? I don't know how long it has been around, but it's a modern marvel. I made sure to walk a lot to prohibit abdominal gas pains. Also, I asked my doctor about an enema and he gave me permission to do it at home before I left for surgery. That way my colon was clear and clean, which would then prevent any BM the first day or so after surgery. Nothing in, nothing out, right? LOL Pardon my hew mer.

I remember using the computer within the week after surgery. However, because a lot of rest is needed those first several weeks, you may tire easily. How long do you need to stay on the computer at one time? That is so much better than having to go in to class. What a great advantage. Ask your doctor about which pain meds you can take that won't make you feel drowsy. I was told Vicodin is effective.

I sincerely wish you the best.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.