HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

how long do adhesions take to develop? how long do adhesions take to develop?

Unread 03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
how long do adhesions take to develop?

hi ladies. i am just wondering how long adhesions take to form. i had my tvh on jan. 25. my doc told me that i had no adhesions. i had to have emergency surg. on feb 11, due to complications. a new doc had to perform that surg. as my first doc went on vacation. after the surgery, the 2nd doc said i had severe adhesions in my whole abdomen, and even my bowels needed to be "peeled" along with alot of other stuff in there. i even lost my appendix due to it being smothered by these adhesions. the surgeries were only two weeks apart. a nurse friend of mine told me that there is absolutely no way that i grew these adhesions this fast. i have read around, and i cannot find any info on how fast we get them. any knowledge on this would be very appreciated. i see both docs on monday. thank you.
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:46 PM

According to what I've learned, adhesions form within 7 days of surgery, BUT initially they are soft and filmy. Firming up and vascularization occur over the period of several months. It doesn't sound as if the adhesions seen in your second surgery could have developed to the point of "smothering your appendix" in only two weeks.

Sure hope things get easier for you from here on in.
Unread 03-02-2006, 09:58 PM

Just my thoughts, but I wonder if by having the TVH, the adhesions went undetected? One reason I had the LAVH was to have the appendectomy as that could not be done with the TVH. So, with your TVH, maybe the dr could not see high enough to be able to see what was happening with your appendix and the adhesions in your abdomen and on your bowel walls. I hope you have a swift recovery and do take any questions and conerns to both drs on Monday.
Unread 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM

I agree with Weiser. I had an LSH and one of the best things about that was he did a "lap lookaround" 2 weeks before and showed me pictures of the inside. I could see for myself all the organs and everything looked good. Except of course for the big Alien fibroid monster. I didn't need any convincing once I saw the pictures.
(((hugs))) I am sorry that your adhesions weren't caught the first time. But I'm glad that you know now everything is okay. It doesn't sound right to me that these adhesions happened overnight. I'm wondering like Weiser if your gyn couldn't see them with the type of hyst you had.
Best wishes to you.
Unread 03-03-2006, 12:00 AM

I'm sorry, I fogot to drop you the link to our adhesions resources!

Here you go: http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...o=browse&cid=5. I hope there is some helpful information for you in these resources.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.