HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Post-op bowel movement problems Post-op bowel movement problems

Unread 03-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Post-op bowel movement problems

As I sit here I am literally bawling my eyes out. I so wanted to be one of the lucky ones that had no problems or complications. And yet the two bowel movements I have been able to have in the 5 days after my TAH have been SO painful I feel like I'm giving birth each time. It hurts so bad to even attempt a push and when the poop (sorry this is graphic) does come out it's soft. But just getting it out at all is very painful. And I've had no spotting or anything since the hospital and I'm scared to rip my vag. cuff or something. I am taking stool softeners and eating veggies and stuff but it still hurts so bad just the process of passing the stool. Plus since they took out my catheter everytime I pee it's a bit painful at first and then kinda starts and stops. I asked the Dr. about this in the castle and he said it takes about a week for the bladder to function like it did before. My gas is gone so that's good but I'm so terrified to go #2 I don't even feel like I want to eat! Is this normal post op? Will it get better? Will I end up having to poop from a bag? I'm so upset and hysterical. Someone please tell me if you had this experience and if it got better!!
Betty
Unread 03-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Boop38, I'm so sorry that you're going through your "poop" problems. I didn't have a TAH, but a LSH and it was painful at times to go #2 for a week or so. Keep up with the fiber and stool softeners--just don't strain because sometimes that can cause more problems. I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and my "poop pain" has lessened considerably, I only get a twinge now and then. I hope some other TAH gals will write and let you know their experiences. As for the bladder (and it may be with the intestines too) it may be having spasms and that's why you'll feel some pain. A lot of the organs down there got moved around a bit during surgery and get "irritated". If you're still concerned, call your dr. Whenever I had questions if something was or wasn't right, a quick call to my dr.'s office usually put my mind at ease.

I hope you're feeling better real soon!
Unread 03-12-2006, 06:59 PM

Yes I had this to. Don't panic yet!! The bowel sometimes gets a little bruised or nicked and what you may be feeling is some scar tissue on the bowel. Mine was sore for about a week and then the pain lessened. My Dr gave me some lidoderm patches to wear to lessen the pain which worked very well. Try and relax as much as you can; your body is working hard at retying all the mussle and nerves...
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Betty
Are you drinking water I too had TAH last tuesday and its been no picnic. Drink lots of water and maybe some prune juice might help
Hugs Kim
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:06 PM

Betty,
I am having similar problems. I feel like I'm going to rip mu cuff or the incision open each time I've tried. I never thought that it would be so hard, but then DH reminded me of the first poop after the c-section. DRATS!!! I hope it isn't like that. 2 weeks, 2 suppositories and an enema....finally relief. Best wishes and I hope we both poop soon!!
angie
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM

Boop38,

Hi, I can feel for you. I had the same problems after surgery, I tried both stool softners and suppositories, prunes, fiber drinks..... until my brother who had the same problems after surgery told me to try a large glass of OJ with Lots of Pulp. I had one that night and the next morning and voila!!!! So please try, but it has to have the pulp. As for the peeing, I had the same problem and it took about 2-3 weeks for it not to hurt, I didn't have a bladder infection, it was just bladder spasms, so hopefully that will calm down for you too. You are not alone, hang in there and let me know if the OJ works for you. I drank it for a couple of weeks before I became "regular". All the best....

Maggie
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:26 PM

It took me about 3 1/2 weeks before I could have a bowel movement without nearly passing out

Good luck!!!
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Only had a LSH and I had the same prob!

I just went back to soft foods for a couple weeks and then easily digestible stuff. Also took small bites and made sure to chew it up really well. The less my intestines have to work the better. I'm still not right but it is getting better.

-T
Unread 03-12-2006, 07:43 PM

Thanks everyone...at least I know others have been here. I will try the pulp o.j. Thanks for the support. Any additional info. from anyone else with this similar problem would be much appreciated.
Betty
Unread 03-12-2006, 08:29 PM

Hi Boop38- I had the same problem- I didn't have a BM until 4 days after my surgery, and then for the next couple I almost cried because the pain was so bad. That was definitely the worst pain I felt through this whole experience. For me, the pain was a little less intense every day, and by day 10 I was pretty much back to normal. I think it helps to drink a lot of water, and to eat foods with a lot of fiber. Hang in there- I hope you start feeling better soon!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.