HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN > Cancer: Stories of Courage

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

stage 1A1 Cervical Cancer, and now abnormal PAP after hysterectomy stage 1A1 Cervical Cancer, and now abnormal PAP after hysterectomy

Unread 03-19-2006, 09:20 PM
stage 1A1 Cervical Cancer, and now abnormal PAP after hysterectomy

January 2004 I went in for my routine PAP, i had them every 10 months, as I was on a birthcontrol pill 3 months at a time to control periods ( i have never liked them). the results came back abnormal....i was referred to an OBGYN who then did a colposcopy, (this was in Feb.) results came back mild/moderate dysplasia. I had a Leep procedure in March, results to this came back stage 1A1 squamous cell cervical cancer, and Adenocarcinoma in situ. As you can see a disease that is supposed to take about 10 years to progress took me a few months. In April of that year i choose to have a Hysterectomy, I was only 25 years old. My husband and I were married right after High School, I was still 17 years old, we had had 2 children, and were pretty sure our family was complete at that point. I had decided I wanted to treat agressive, since my cancer seemed to be aggressive, and scheduled the Hysterectomy mid April. It was a very easy experience for me, i had LAVH keeping my ovaries. I was up and walking right away, almost fully recovered in a week, second week i went shopping with my mother in law who had come out to NC from KS to help take "care" of me. Third week I had a checkup, and my doctor said I was completely healed from surgery, i was her best patient, and took all of the restrictions off of me. I was feeling great! I have went for regular checkups every 3 -4 months, all good until now. I am almost at my 2 year mark, and my pap came back abnormal, I just found this out friday so I am unsure what my future holds. I have an appointment with my GYN/ONC April 3rd, but plan to try and get in with my OBGYN for a colposcopy sooner. I figure this way I can be getting 2 opinions at once. I have decided I do not think I want to treat aggressivly this time, and still hope the abnormal pap was false, the doctor i seen for this PAP was PA, and said I again h ave mild dysplasia...I pray it is wrong. I am currently in nursing school, this whole trauma has motivated me to go on with my life, and I want to help others. I am now 27 (almost 28) and feel I am too young to be going through all of this. I have been lucky to have a great husband to support me through this. He has been my rock. I have always been such a strong person, but since Friday I feel so weak, not knowing where to turn next. I know there are amny of us on this board together, and things could be much worse, so I try to stay positive. I keep reminding myself that my pathology report came back after hysterectomy that I was cancer free (LEEP didnot come back with clear margins). I pray I can help someone out there going through this at such a young age as well. I was lucky to have met and married my high school sweetheart, and we started a family fairly fast, I have no regrets of my hysterectomy, I think it should be an elective procedure....but not many people were in the same place as I at 25.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.