HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What is average dosage for progesterone cream? What is average dosage for progesterone cream?

Unread 03-23-2006, 11:06 PM
What is average dosage for progesterone cream?

I would appreciate information from some of my hysterfriends in regard to what the average dosage is for progesterone cream. :confuse: Just an idea of what some of you are using in mg's and how often. I appreciate all of you, and the wisdom that you have to offer!
Unread 03-24-2006, 05:48 AM

TJ,
I use a 5% compounded progesterone cream, .5ml 1x per day. That's my current dose, but it isn't what my dose has always been. When I first started the progesterone I was usiing a 20% cream, 1ml 2x per day. At one point I was using 3x per day to maintain an even level throughtout the day. As my hormones began to settle down, I was gradually able to cut back my dose to what I am currently using. I think I've been on this same dose for quite some time now.

Do keep in mind that everyone is different. What I am using may not work the same for you.
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:50 AM

Good question TJ. I just started using the creme and I was a little confused with the directions. I still have mini periods every month so I'm using the ovulating schedule. But since this is my first time I am only using 1/2 the recommended dose. Next week I will move up to the full dose. My creme contains 480 mg per oz. So right now I use 1/4 tsp once a day right before I go to bed at night.
So its just like Kim said, everyone is different.

Best Wishes to you.
Unread 03-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Hi TJ,

Sometimes it's hard to compare doses in mg/oz and percentages, so I'll summarize:

Kim is using a 5% cream, and this is 50mg/ml. She's using 0.5ml, so that's 25mg.

Shera is using a 480mg/oz cream. There are about 28ml per ounce, so this is 480mg/28 = 17mg per ml. About 1/4 teaspoon = 1 ml, so Shera's using about 17mg.

I use an OTC cream that has 24mg/ml. I use 12mg right before bed.
Unread 03-24-2006, 09:05 PM

I'm more confused now than ever. I use the cream, is that what everyone uses?
Unread 03-24-2006, 09:22 PM

Hi TJ,

I'm so sorry that I confused you. Yes, we all use progesterone creams. Kim uses one that is made by a compounding pharmacy specifically for her. I use one that is over-the-counter. I think Shera's might be OTC, too.
Unread 03-25-2006, 06:16 PM

TJ,
Which cream are you using? If you're using an OTC cream, there are many different ones out there. They do vary in strength and ingredients.

If you're using a compounded progesterone cream, those can also vary in strength, but they are made specifically for you by a compounding pharmacist.

Thanks Karen for the explanation on the doseages. Even after all these years, I get confused with the ml and mg stuff.
Unread 03-25-2006, 06:48 PM

I have just started to use over the counter progesterone cream that states there is 500 mg per ounce and that there is 22 mg per 1/4 teaspoon. My question is how many ounces in a full teaspoon....
Unread 03-25-2006, 07:35 PM

I have a chart . . .

1 tsp = 1/6 oz.

~Lilbelle

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.