HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

liquid diet or clear liquid diet befor surgery liquid diet or clear liquid diet befor surgery

Unread 03-24-2006, 02:42 PM
liquid diet or clear liquid diet befor surgery

The day before surgery I was told a liquid diet but I am not sure if they said clear liquid or just liquid. What did most of you do?
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Great question, I would like to know that too.

Thanks. T
Unread 03-24-2006, 02:49 PM
diet

Hi there-

I am doing a bowel prep starting at noon the day before my surgery. I was given a sheet from my doctor explaining the diet for the day.

I am allowed a light breakfast and a clear to light lunch and then nothing but clear liquids. I did the same prep with my last lap and I remember being thankful that I had eaten lightly. It made the clean-out so much quicker!!!

HTH,
H
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:17 PM

I have popsciles and cherry jello cups is that considered clear liquids? I looked on a internet sight and it's listed on a clear liquid diet but it doesn't seem right since their not clear.
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Hi Resa,

It seems like everyone has different instructions from their Drs. One Dr can give 3 different patients 3 different prep instructions.

So.......It really would be best to call your Dr and ask them to clarify. There have been women who have had their surgeries cancelled because they didn't do the exact prep their drs had ordered. He has his reasons for ordering what he did for you.

Just for the record: I had no bowel prep or special instructions other than after midnight before my surgery I could have nothing but water. I ate normal the day before. I had no recovery problems or bowel problems because of it.

Please don't try to follow someone elses bowel prep instructions.

S,
Kay
Unread 03-24-2006, 03:28 PM

I have to do a bowel prep, and clear liquid diet the day before surgery. I called my dr to ask what consitutes a clear liqiud diet, and she said, jello, popsicles, 7-up, sprite, ginerale, gatorade, broth or consumme', she also stressed water, water, water....

Hope that helps. T.
Unread 03-24-2006, 04:31 PM

I got a list from the pre-op nurse. Mine was liquids without milk or cream in them. Coffee, tea (which I didn't drink) juices, water, clear broths, jello and clear pop like 7up or gingerale. I didn't do popsicles because I'm in Canada and it's just too dang cold to be eating those in early March....
If you're doing the bowel prep and eating green jello just don't get scared when you start to poo with green water looking stuff...LOL
Just a note, I found the broths to be good but too much salt which I think depleted alot of the water in my system.
M.
Unread 03-24-2006, 04:37 PM

maybe the healthy request broths by campbells will have less sodium? I am just going to do what my Dr tells me and trust her judgement, and I am going to drink a ton of water. Thanks Avon Queen for the green jello tip, didn't even consider that...

Enjoy your weekend ladies
T

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.