HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

what is a pain ball? what is a pain ball?

Unread 03-25-2006, 01:55 PM
what is a pain ball?

Hello all i was just wondering if any one knows what a pain ball is and what it does? Im due for a TAH/BSO 3-28-06 I thought my dr said that was what he was going to give me for my incision. I am starting to freak just a bit
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:02 PM
what is a pain ball?

I think I had this for mine... I didn't know it was called a pain ball. They attach 2 tubes underneath your skin (belly) after surgery, it puts pain medication directly to the incision site. You'll wear it like a purse... makes it easier, trust me... I've heard it's better than nothing, but this was my first time for surgery if this nature, so I had nothing to relate to! It should make the pain much easier to bare... If you've had a C-Section before it should make it less painful... Help me if I'm wrong ladies....
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:06 PM
what is a pain ball?

P.S. It doesn't hurt either, trust me with the drugs I had... the pain was bareable... it's just a little freaky when they pull the tubes out. Trust me you can handle it, I'm a chicken wuss when it comes to stuff like this...
You'll be fine
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:18 PM
what is a pain ball?

Thanks cenderella had never heard of that befor and didnt know for sure what he was talking about
Unread 03-25-2006, 02:39 PM
what is a pain ball?

No Problem... let me know if there is anyother questions you might have, I don't know everything... but I'd be glad to help in any way I can...
Unread 03-25-2006, 03:07 PM
what is a pain ball?

Is your doctor talking about the ON-Q pain system? It's ball shaped, and is inserted directly into your incision before you leave the OR. It comes out the day you go home, and taking it out is painless. I had this and it was wonderful. I also had a morphine PCA pump and I was very comfortable. After the PCA came out (with my IV) I took Percocets and I was still comfortable. I highly recommend this.
I didn't think having previous csections made it less painful, at least that wasn't so in my case. A hyster is much more invasive and involved. The incision is similiar, though. However, I have read some posts on here from ladies who thought having previous sections made it easier for them, so it's really an individual thing.
Hope this helps. And good luck to you!
Unread 03-25-2006, 04:32 PM
what is a pain ball?

its called a on q pain relief ball..i had one for my tah...you will have 2 tinyyyyyy little tubes coming form your sincision...they are minut...you will have a fanny pack sorta thing hanging around your waist,which holds the actual ball itself....this releases meds inside your incision...this to me was a life savor!!!it does not hurt one little bit,and i had no idea they had even took those teensy tiny little tubes out...sonie
Unread 03-25-2006, 07:13 PM
what is a pain ball?

Hey "lovewv,
I'm from wv to..and i had the pain ball..and It does help...My doc took it out before going home..wished i would of had it at least a week after coming home LOL...but all in all it does help...Good Luck to you!!!!
Unread 03-26-2006, 04:48 AM
what is a pain ball?

Thank you all so much for the help. I guess it makes for easier walking (hope lol) ive just got so many emotions going on right now just want to get this over with. This sight makes things a little easier.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.