HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Cystocele/Rectocele Repair...Still Having Problems..??? Cystocele/Rectocele Repair...Still Having Problems..???

Unread 03-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Cystocele/Rectocele Repair...Still Having Problems..???

Hi All,

Here I am a bit more than 7 months post-op and frustrated as a mad wet hatter! I am hoping some other sisters will read this, especially those who have had anterior and posterior repair. I have been plagued with too many bladder infections to count since my surgery, horrid pain that I can't even begin to describe, and now, this past weekend I have started spotting. Just prior to the spotting I felt as though I were on my period...a crampy achy feeling in my pelvis and my groin. When I saw the spotting it was like...??? What is this, and where in the world is it coming from? I've spotted numerous times right after sex, that is pretty much the norm for me, actually, but I had never just woke up in the morning needing to wear a pantyliner from the spotting. We haven't had sex for weeks!

Yes, I intend on calling my doctor to discuss this with him as well, but I am also hoping for a sanity check and some support from others who know what I am going through. My GYN hasn't seen me since he dismissed me in December, letting me know in no uncertain terms that in his opinion none of my continued complaints or problems were any longer related to my surgery and I needed to follow up with my general practitioner. Which I did, within one week of that visit, beginning my long string of visits for a chronic bladder infection. My GP is fixing to send me to a urologist because he has exhausted his options in "fixing" me himself. He too has even commented on how frustrating it is for me to have been dismissed in such a way from my surgeon who is also my GYN.
I have to admit though, I feel as though I'm being passed around like a football. I am frustrated, depressed, in pain and feeling like I might possibly be losing what little of my mind I have left.

Please tell me there is someone else out there who has had the same procedures as me and can relate to what I'm saying, or at least "pretend" to...

Thanks for listening...I just needed to vent and this seemed like the best place to let some of this out! I appreciate all of you so much!!
Unread 03-28-2006, 06:26 AM

Hi Michelle,
I totally understand your frustration, sounds like we had the same repairs except I opted not to have my rectocele repaired (wrong decision). It seems like this much later we should be better.
There has to be a reason you are bleeding - that is not normal. Are you using any estrogen creme? Sex was soooo painful, although I never had bleeding before I started the creme in Jan.
My gyn/surgeon who I liked, so much as dumped me at my 5 week post-op visit. I hate him now and am seeing a new doctor. Please see a new doctor who will listen - write everything down and make sure all your problems are addressed. I agree you should see a urologist, but also see a gyn or maybe better a uro/gyn.
I'm still dealing with a failed repair and of course my rectocele. My bladder is still so irritated - I don't think I will be better until I get the cystocele repaired. Keep us posted as to what happens. Good Luck and Hugs.
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:50 AM

Hi Bowlinggrl,

The doctor didn't prescribe any type of hormone replacement pill, gel or cream, he said it would interfere with my remaining ovary taking over the function for both.

I was having HORRIBLE menopausal symptoms, beginning the first day after surgery. So, within a few weeks, and much searching on the internet, I found a Natural Progesterone cream. It helped me level out quite a bit and I told my doctor about it, he said it looked alright (I took it with me to one of my post op appointments) and said it shouldn't interfere with my body's remaining ovary producing the appropriate hormones. I had some light bleeding for about a month after my surgery, resumed sexual intercourse at about 9 weeks (OUCH!!)and didn't really have bleeding after sex until about 16 weeks post op. This was only occasionally. We haven't had sex now for weeks, I'm not even sure how long, related to how much pain I've been having. The spotting this time came completely out of the blue and has been happening on and off since Saturday morning. Not heavy, just enough to annoy me.

The last visit I had with my surgeon/Gyn he told me that one of my permanent stitches in my vagina still wasn't healed, he asked if it was bothering my husband or I when we had sex, I said I hadn't noticed anything, nor had my husband mentioned anything. He said he would leave it alone then if it wasn't causing any problems. This may be the culprit to my spotting...but it still doesn't explain the, at times, excruciating pain in my vagina and lower pelvic region. Some days the pains are as bad as when I was having my period and just as debilitating. This is why I had my hysto in the first stinking place...to be rid of this pain.

I am mad too because I wasn't having any recognizable problems or symptoms from my rectocele or cystocele...He just said that my pelvic floor had thinned out and I needed to have these problems fixed, he said we should do it all at once and avoid another surgery a few years down the road....If it wasn't for him telling me about this, I wouldn't have known, that is how much it was NOT bothering me prior to my surgery.

The decision to have the hysto for me, was related to extremely painful periods and an unrelenting pain in my lower right side (This turned out to be a big cyst on my ovary). I also had a history of cervical dysplasia, so my cervix went too.

Anyhoo, thanks so much for replying! I needed to know I wasn't crazy and that perhaps someone else felt that after all these months things should be better.

I'm curious, you said you you didn't think you'd be better until you got the cystocele repaired, are you still having problems from this? Did your first surgery not fix this? Also, have you noticed more frequent stress incontinence? Bladder infections? Since your cystocele repair?

And Why did you opt out of the rectocele repair? Were you having symptoms from the cystocele? What were they? Current and past symptoms from the rectocele? What are they?

Thanks again for the support! I can't tell you how much I appreciate and needed it! 's
Unread 03-28-2006, 12:46 PM

I am assuming that you also had cystocele and rectocele which necessitated the A&P repairs -- because you indicated that your reason for the hyst was painful periods.

I think that any unexplained vaginal bleeding needs to be checked out. Just my opinion. SOMETHING is causing that. You could have an infection now which is causing some of your other symptoms.

Since you have had one failed prolapse surgery, I think you should be evaluated by a urogynecologist before agreeing to any more surgery. (A urologist may be able to get to the bottom of the problems you are currently having. You may want to look for one who specializes in females as this field seems to lean more toward men.)

I hope you gets some answers soon.
Unread 03-28-2006, 12:54 PM

Hello Michelle
We had our operations the same week, I had like you a hysterectomy, anterior & posterior repair, enterocele repair and TVT.
I am still in continual pain and have only been back at work a few weeks. The pain is in my legs and pelvic floor, for a time I was in a wheel chair,and have also had many urinary track infections. This is because my bladder isn't empying properly, at urology I was instructed how to use intermittent catheters. Perhaps you have the same trouble?
I have not been discharged from the urogynaecologist, he said he will look after me until everything is sorted out.
At the last visit he said I might need another operation as since my operation I have developed a rectocele. I feel very anxious about having more surgery naturally. I have HRT patches and oestrogen cream.
Some days I feel very upset about how long the recovery is taking, I was never told how it would really be.
At least I now know I am not alone!
Unread 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM

Starflower,
That is weird you doctor told you not to use the estogen creme, the doctor that prescribed it said it couldn't hurt and I too had my right ovary out (endo and cysts). I had major menopausal symptoms for 5 or 6 weeks and then they just went away. The cremes supposedly won't affect your ovary hormone production.
I am thinking that maybe it is that stitch that the doctor saw and if not it has to be something. Please see a doctor about it.
Yes I did have the cystocele repaired, it came out again at 11 1/2 weeks post-op. I don't leak, just have frequency, urgency and pain especially at night. I also retain urine, but I have never had a bladder infection.
I had the cystocele repaired because my bladder was partly outside and my uterus was falling out. My ovary was a surprise to me, I thought all the pains I had over the years was Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Now my left ovary has a cyst and I'm sure endo, but I am so not interested in losing that too. I chose not to have the rectocele repaired because it required a colorectal surgeon (because of a sphincter repair) and it wasn't that bad. Now it's worse, I can't control gas, I leak small amounts without knowing and of course I can't empty so I feel gross. Oh and if I run, I feel like my rectum is falling out. Sex is embarrassing so I don't do that very often either, as soon as we start - gas - my husband swears I do it on purpose NOT. I know TMI, but you asked.
Let us know what happens when you see the doctor. Hugs.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.