HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Detrol LA vs Vesicare????? Detrol LA vs Vesicare?????

Unread 03-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Detrol LA vs Vesicare?????

Can anyone compare the effectiveness and the side-effects of Detrol LA to Vesicare? I have been having urgency/frequency for many months now. I am one year post-op from my TAH and bladder suspension. The urologist did a retrograde pyelogram to rule out any kinks/scarred ureters and all was well. (Thank goodness!) He feels the urgency may be due to the suspension and has given me some Vesicare to try for a month. I was on Detrol LA pre=op and while it settled my bladder spasms at the time, the dry mouth and constipation was very frustrating. He seemed to think the Vesicare might be a better choice. Anyone using Vesicare? How long did it take to work? What time of day is best to take it?

Thanks,

Maggiemay
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Maggiemay, I haven't used Vesicare but I recommend that you do a search for it here on the site by using the purple search bar here at the top right corner of the page. You shoud find a few hits and several ladies who have used it. It is too frustrating to have these bladder problems. Urgency of any type is so aggravating. My stress incontinence was what led me to have additional surgery along with my hyst last summer. The best of good luck to you in your research. Sending a ....
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:19 PM

HI Maggiemay,

I haven't taken either Detrol LA or vesicare, but I did take their sister drug, Ditropan XL. Dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation. My uro gave me a prescription for a patch...(I think Oxytrol?) he said the side effects weren't supposed to be as bad. I never had it filled, because I was so tired of all the drugs, etc.

Hope you find some answers!
Dee
Unread 03-31-2006, 06:33 PM

I took Detrol LA before my surgery and I think it just made things worse. I had frequency and urgency before and the Detrol LA gave me such terrible dry mouth that I think I drank five gallons of water a day which just made me have to go more than I did before! So, perhaps the medication helped, but the side effect made it worse. Vicious cycle it is! I have not taken the other medication and since I had the surgery, I now have retention rather than frequency. I am due to start Bethanechol and Flomax on Sunday.

I hope the vesicare works for you!

Amber
Unread 03-31-2006, 06:41 PM

Okay, me again. I had one question for you all. I am suppose to start taking Flomax tomorrow and after looking it up on the internet, every where says it should not be taken for women. Does anyone know anything about this? Of course, leave it to me to have a question like this on Friday afternoon after the physician's office closes.

Any help would be appreciated!
Amber
Unread 04-03-2006, 06:55 AM

I have used both. Because I have mesh erosion problems right now neither have worked independantly. I now wear a patch and take vesicare. I get some relief but still have to wear poise pads during the night. Detrol dried my mouth out so much I quit taking it. I take my pills at night now and don't seem to have the dry mouth much during the day. Hope this helps you.
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:31 AM

Ladies,
Thanks for all your replies! I started the Vesicare today. I am hoping that it helps without too many negative side effects.

<Imaquilter>, I already took my pill this morning, but may switch to night-time like you suggest if the dry mouth becomes bothersome. I noticed that you also live in Michigan...I'm in the Detroit area. I also quilt!

Good luck to all of you ladies on your "bladder matters"...I just wish none of us had any of these issues at all!

Maggiemay
Unread 04-03-2006, 08:36 AM

I have taken Flomax and it worked pretty well.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.