HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

I think my endo is back I think my endo is back

Unread 04-05-2006, 06:40 AM
I think my endo is back

Hi girls
Last month went to ER thinking I had appendicitis. Upon a CT scan they said no appendicitis, but you have a cyst on your right ovary. I told them I have had hyst(Nov2000), and removal of both ovaries done at seperate times(rt Jan 2005 and lft Sept 05). Called my gyn who ordered an US a week later which showed nothing. I cancelled my appt with her for that as I have a scheduled appt with her the 17 of this month.
This month pain came back even worse about the same time as last month. Called my gyn. . She couldnt fit me any earlier than Monday but suggested I go to the ER if the pain was that bad as she could only call in tylenol 3 but I am allergic to it. I had been taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 4 hours, but it wasn't helping at all. I went to the ER closer to home (not where she is).
They did their usual stuff before prescribing some vicodin to get me through til monday.
I am going to the hospital where she practices(45 minutes away) tomorrow to have hormone testing done (all menopause symptoms stopped abruptly in Dec).
Has anyone else found out they are still producing hormones after having both ovaries removed and what can be done about it?
Unread 04-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I think my endo is back

Hi Essie

Sorry you are having these problems. I hope they can figure things out and get you feeling better. I recently had an expl. lap - and was wondering if they'd find an ovarian remnant syndrome (O.R.S.)situation. (BSO done with hyst but the pain never left). I'm not the right person for hormone advice, but I do know that some of our body fat can produce estrogen, which accounts for why some fluffy women might not require as much replacement. Endo can also produce it's own. Good luck with your tests.

Although most of my "phantom" ovarian pain has been on the left, I also had some very painful episodes of it on the right - to the point I too thought I was experiencing appendicitis. My doc met me at his office during one such episode and said the symptoms didn't quite fit. I knew I didn't have some of the typical symptoms, but it was horrible and when I'd get an episode on the right I could not move without eliciting pain. If I was perfectly still things were better.

I needed a rectocele repaired, so they also decided to do a "second-look" surgery to see what might be causing these "ovarian" pains and pain of my vaginal cuff. We discussed doing an appendectomy while they were in there - so if I had more of these attacks, then I'd at least not have to worry about whether it was the appendix or not.
My doc was delighted to find 2 "smoking guns" as he called them. I had multiple thick adhesions again, but the largest and thickest was around my appendix - pulling it up and over all the way to where it anchored on top of my vaginal cuff --- right next to a large purple endo implant!

Dr. commented that it's not too often they get lucky and find the problem like that.
Bad news is... the pain on the left is still there....along with the endo on my bowel. (sigh)

We'll be thinking of you. Let us know how your appointment goes.
Prayers & s,
Beth
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:07 PM
I think my endo is back

Thank you for replying to my post Beth.
I'm sorry you are going through the same thing. I'm glad they found out about your appendix and was able to fix that part.
I'm lucky to have a great gyn who listens to me, and is already trying to figure this out. When I talked with her yesterday, she said one thing we will talk about monday is doing a pelvic MRI to see if they can see something.
I thought that back in Sept I found the off ramp, but it seems I was temporarily detoured.
Thank you all for being here.
I'll keep you updated.
Essie
Unread 04-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I think my endo is back

I hope the detour is a short one so you'll be on the road to recovery soon. It's wonderful to hear your GYN is a good listener and willing to investigate - that's a big part of the battle.

Good luck
s
Beth

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.