HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

colposcopy and endometrial biopsy colposcopy and endometrial biopsy

Unread 04-26-2001, 09:44 PM
colposcopy and endometrial biopsy

Nervous about colposcopy and endometrial biopsy. From my experience, when a Dr. says "will be a little uncomfortable" they are talking about for them. They'll have to hold their head at an uncomfortable angle. For you they really mean excruatingly painful. How painful are these tests? Having them Monday. Please reply ASAP. Thanks to everyone for the support on this site. It's invaluable to all women having any gyn problems. At this point I feel like I've joined the gynecological test of the month club. Still waiting for my punch card to see how many before I get a freebie ( or a hyst which at this point equals a release from the worry and the bleeding). I just hope I have a Dr. who thinks my 3 kids having a mother is more important than me having parts. If not I'll find another Dr. Thanks again. I've learned alot. Marla
Unread 04-26-2001, 10:04 PM

Hi, Marla,

I had an endometrial biopsy not long ago and it wasn't really too bad. Since you've had kids, it might be even easier for you. Sorry, I've forgotten what a colposcopy is.

I have a rare doctor who believed me when I told her I felt pain in my cervix (many docs told me I had no nerve endings there -- my reply was "I must be a mutant")

The doc had me take a vicodan (heavy-duty pain pill) before the procedure and numbed my cervix. There was a long, skinny tool with a brush on the end that she inserted into my cervix to sample the endometrium. Oh, since I took the pain pill, I had to have someone drive me home.

Hope all goes well for you, Janine
Unread 04-27-2001, 12:48 AM

Hi Marla, I may win the prize of the most colposcopies in one year. In the past year I think I have had around 7. They don't hurt as such, maybe a little sting. Depends on if there is any unhealed tissue in the area. I remember my first in April 2000, I was absolutely petrified, arrived at the gynos in a state of hysteria got on the table and after all the preliminary stuff he said now you will just feel a little sting. I was lying there waiting and he said ok done. Didn't feel a thing. Oh by the way my Dr. does numb the area before hand. Now I have rambled , I will wish you lots of luck and hope all goes well. x x
Unread 04-27-2001, 03:26 AM

I had to have a colposcopy with a several biopsies in January. I was pretty nervous and scared about it too, but my DD numbed the area first, so it really did feel like a little pinch when the biopsies were taken.

Right around the same time, a friend of mine had a colposcopy too. When we talked about it, she reported how terrible it was. I told her about mine...seems her DD didn't numb the area first (honestly, I think that male Drs. just don't get it sometimes!!)

I would be sure to request that your DD numb the area and things will be fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Unread 04-27-2001, 03:51 AM

Hi, Marla! I thought I was in the running for the most colposcopies in a year, but Robyn beat me by one. The colposcopy itself isn't really the problem. It's the biopsy that they take during the colposcopy (the colposcopy is just using a "colposcope"--like a microscope--to look at he cervix and vaginal areas. So, I've had colposcopies that didn't hurt at all, because he didn't see anything to biopsy. Some doctors don't use the numbing medication because they don't want anything to interfere with the cells they are going to look at--they want good, fresh, untouched cells. Mine does not use it. I took 4 Advil (check with your doctor before taking anything). I had some cramping. I took some very deep breaths. I think I even squeeked out an "ouch" once or twice. Then it was over. I wouldn't ever sign up for one for entertainment purposes, but it's OK for important medical purposes. Good luck! I'll be thinking about you on Monday. Come back and tell us how it went! BTW--I was lol at your interpretation of a doctor's discomfort.
Unread 04-28-2001, 03:56 PM
colposcopy & biopsy

Thanks for the encouragement. Helps alot. Still scared, especially about what results will be. Pap came back atypical squamous cells. Hopefully nothing worse than PRE cancerous. Will fight tooth and nail if that is the case for hyst ASAP. Won't let Dr. take wait and see attitude. She doesn't have 3 kids to raise, she doesn't have to live my life and she certainly can't die my death for me. Parts is parts after all. My kids need me, not my uterus or cervix or even my ovaries. Will let you know how biopsies go Monday and will let you all know when I get the results. thanks so much for the support. Really need it now. This is a great site. I've learned SO MUCH! Talk to you Monday afternoon or evening.
Unread 04-28-2001, 11:03 PM
Colposcopy

Marla,

I've had three since December 99. My doc doesn't numb the cervix. Its not much worse than a pap smear. I didn't need paid killers afterward, but I did have a little cramping and bled a little after I vacumed and went for a walk the next day. I learned to take it easy for a few days after... no heavy exercise for a few days is a good idea for me.

Good luck. Hope your results come back clean. If you
need a little "patchwork", if you need information, or if you plan major surgery, the girls at this site offer great support.

Linda
Unread 04-28-2001, 11:58 PM

Marla , wishing you good luck for Monday, hope all goes well.
Unread 04-30-2001, 03:25 PM
tests done waiting for answers

Well, the tests weren't too pleasant but I got through them with the help of 2 650mg Darvocets. I would never do this without major drugs. Still sleepy though. that's ok because haven't slept well for awhile. Will get results next Thurs. I think it's May 10. Thanks again for all the support and encouragement from the courageous hystersisters out there. Will let you know what I find out. Marla
Unread 05-11-2001, 12:37 PM
test results

Good news - no cancer. Bad news is Dr. won't do hyst. Wants to play games instead. Wants to do cryosurgery to cervix and try pills to control bleeding. then if pills don't work we try this one and then that one. If the bad cells come back more biopsies and cryosurgeries. Going to Dr who has reputation among other docs for doing "too many hysterectomies". Sounds to me like he will know how to do it right by now and like he's more sympathetic to women wanting a permanent solution instead of a band aid. Hopefully my 2nd opinion will result in me joining you princesses in the land of hyster. May have to wait till fall though so I can enjoy my pool this summer. I'll be praying for all of you battling the diseases, pains, inconveniences and especially the doctors. thanks for all your support. Keep in touch. Anyone who's had the cryo please e-mail me and let me know all about it like painful? how long before discharge stops? Thanks again. I'll be checking in now and then and keeping in touch. Bless all you courageous, loving women. We are truly the stronger sex NOT the weaker!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.