HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

can ovarian cancer recur if ovaries removed???? can ovarian cancer recur if ovaries removed????

Unread 04-06-2006, 07:39 PM
can ovarian cancer recur if ovaries removed????

I had stage 1C ovarian cancer. Everything was removed, including lymph nodes. I am on no chemo or radiation, just being monitored. How likely is that I will have the cancer return, and is it still called "ovarian" if it reaapears after ovary removal?
Unread 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM

Yes, it is still called ovarian even if the ovaries are removed unless pathology shows that you would have a new primary cancer. Ovarian can return because it can stick microscopically to organs and then come back. Monitoring with a CT scan and CA125 is a good idea to be sure. Also, watch for any symptoms that may recur or be different but bothersome.
Unread 04-06-2006, 07:55 PM

You are so very lucky that it was caught early. From what I've heard, yes it can re-occur even if you don't have ovaries. I would try hard not to be too concerned about it as you were one of the "lucky" ones that was fortunate to catch it in it's early stages. As long as you are being monitored, I'm sure you won't have any future problems. Good luck!
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:19 PM

Have you googled it? You can google recurrence rates, based on stage of ovarian cancer. I've done it for cervical cancer. Didn't your doctor tell you what the chances of recurrence are? I know that they are quite high for stage 3C but I don't know anything about your stage. Sorry! But a stage that low is always a good thing.

Every ovarian cancer patient has her ovaries removed, but many, with higher stages than yours, do recur. It is still ovarian cancer, no matter where it recurs. It would be called metastic ovarian cancer. It usually recurs in the pelvis but I guess it could go elsewhere. Google it and you'll find lots of information.

How long ago were you treated? When you have your next check up with the gyn/oncologist, ask him your chances of recurrence. He'll know exactly what they are, statistically. I just discussed that with my doctor today.

Best,
Janie
Unread 04-06-2006, 10:27 PM

soogie
margaret gave you good information. Mine was stage 1C1 and I received chemo and my gyn/onc told me the chance of recurrence is minimal. I have frequent checkups with all sorts of tests run each time. I don't know what the chance of recurrence would be without chemo. I would suggest asking your Dr. but they can only give an educated guess. We are each different.

Why did your Dr. decide not to give chemo? It is pretty standard for chemo to be given for this stage of cancer. Was your Dr. a gyn/onc? I would say close checkups with not only a pelvic exam, but also CA 125's, CT scans is a must.

Yes, we with an early staging are "lucky" because it is early stage, but we still had the same surgery and have the same emotions as any other person diagnosed with cancer. If we had chemo, we have all that to deal with also. I don't consider my cancer diagnosis and stage lucky.

Jane
Unread 04-07-2006, 01:34 AM

Hi Soogie

I was diagnosed with ovca in Jan 2003 stage 1a grade1 and chemo was not recommended BUT i was told by my oncologist that it is only stage 1a's that dont have chemotherapy. I really think you should get a second opinion or the very least question your oncologist about his determining that chemo isnt required for a 1c. I understand its normally 3 sessions, for stage1c, not the normal 6 but i may be wrong. I shouldnt worry too much about statistics. I certainly dont want to upset you in anyway but as Jane said this stage isnt really lucky and every precaution should be taken.

sheila
Unread 04-07-2006, 04:20 AM
re:ovarian cancer questions

Shelia, Janie, Margaret...thank you all for responding so quickly! I have my next post-op checkup on Apr 18 and I intend to ask specific questions. I guess that I was more focused on healing and absorbing the overall shock of everything in my first weeks after surgery. Now I am "worrying" ahead. Everything happened so fast in my case: I had a cyst on left ovary that began to cause pain in early Feb....until then, no signs of anything wrong at all. As soon as I had an ultrasound, I was referred to a very good obgyn/oncologost. He operated the next week! The pathology report found that the hurting cyst was benign, but said this about the right ovary: "papillary serous tumor of low malignant potential:no stromal invasion identified". When my dr gave me a copy , he notated "stage 1C" in pen on the report. I do not understand the medical lingo.
Unread 04-07-2006, 07:29 AM

To Denton56
I am well aware of the re-occurance rates for my cancer. I was going to put that in my reply, but decided not to out of respect for other women who have stage IIIC ovarian cancer, and may be reading these responses. While I'm sure you feel very fortunate that you had a low stage cancer, there are many of us who do not. We are well aware of what our futures may hold for us, and we come to these forums for support, not to be frightened. I'm sorry, but I felt your reply was a little inconsiderate to us with stage IIIc ovarian cancer. I also didn't mean to imply, jmberg, that anyone is lucky who gets low stage cancer. Cancer is what it is, and I am well aware of this. (that is why "lucky" was in quotation marks - I appologize -clearly I should have thought of a more appropriate thing to say)
Unread 04-07-2006, 08:16 AM

I see your tumor is low malignant potential (abbreviated LMP), which is really good. My understanding is that LMP is kind of a gray area, not really cancer, but not exactly not cancer. Generally these tumors don't grow quickly or spread. They are not treated with chemo. Please ask your doctor more about this and the potential for recurrence and how it is treated if it recurs. I'm not going to throw an labels around, but I do think your doctor will tell you your prognosis is quite good.
Unread 04-07-2006, 08:38 AM

soggie

I just wanted to add to my pm's to you that quite definitely LMP stage1 is not the same as my stage1a endometriod carcinoma. As two for one stated it is a grey area and LMP, as far as i understand it, does not require chemo for your stage.

I found denton56's reply to be helpful and honest -recurrence stats are there for everyone to be aware of no matter what stage but, i for one, dont take much notice of them.

sheila

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.