HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

bladder repair with hysterectomy bladder repair with hysterectomy

Unread 04-27-2001, 11:30 PM
bladder repair with hysterectomy

I had a ful vaginal hysterectomy on 4/16/01. I also had the appendix removed, and my bladder 'lifted'. My doc says the bladder lift takes a long recovery and I must be very careful, or he will have to operate again to fix it if I jar the baldder loose. he said he actually put some type of mesh material on my bladder and stapled it to my pelvic bone (ouch!). Has anyone had this done? If so how was recovery? My left side hurts badly, and my left leg, sometimes I have spasms in what feels like my bladder. I also have some muscle pain in my upper stomach area, far from incisions. I would love to hear any one elses experience with this recovery. Thanks
Unread 04-28-2001, 03:50 AM

Hi,

I did not have the same surgery as you, but did have bladder repair along with my TAH. The muscles around my bladder were tacked to the pubic bone, and these act as a "sling." I did not have the mesh put in. My recovery went well. It did seem to go slower than the women who had surgery around the same time. I was very sore for a few weeks, and had bruises half-way down my thighs. I needed a lot of extra help getting around. I also bought one of those raised toilet seats with arm rests. This helped, I never realized how low toilets can actually be. My right leg was very painful from trying to get up and down from the toilet. I actually pinched the nerve in the buttocks area, from the pressure of leaning on that side for stability. Other than that, my recovery was pretty uneventful. The nerve is no longer pinched, the pain is gone, and I have learned how to go to the bathroom again. I have to sit a different way on the toilet, this is due to the re-positioning of the bladder. I also have to keep toilet paper in place when I stand up, after going. It seems, according to my doctor, that a bit of dribbling at the end is common after this type of surgery. He thinks this is also due to the re-positioning of the bladder. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids and if the pain continues, or gets worse, call your doctor to discuss it.
Unread 04-28-2001, 10:36 AM
thanks

Thank you so much for all the info, it was very helpful to me to know that alot of these symptoms are normal. I sometimes wish I had left the bladder alone! UUGG! I wonder how many variations there are of this surgery, I see you did not have the mesh put in. I didn't even know about it until after surgery! Did you feel presuure in the lower abdomen on the bladder side after and during urination? I do, and I also have the leakage somewhat after.
Thanks again, your input is so very appreciated.
Pamela
Unread 04-28-2001, 01:05 PM

Pamela,

I did have pressure and an achiness, I think it comes from having to relearn how to urinate. No major pushing, don't strain, etc... I had a lot of pain in the morning when I would get up, due to my bladder being so full. What actually helped me to alleviate all of these things, was drinking more water during the day.

P.S. I don't mind sharing my experiences and you are more than welcome!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.