HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Too much too soon?  Weeping incision at three weeks. Too much too soon? Weeping incision at three weeks.

Unread 04-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Too much too soon? Weeping incision at three weeks.

HI everyone!
I'm wondering if I am guilty of doing too much too soon..?? I am at three weeks post op yesterday..I went and had my staples out yesterday. The surgeon said I was doing great, didn't need to come back to him anymore, and to follow up with my regular gyno from now on. He even told me I could resume regular activities as long as I could tolerate it...listen to my body, when tired, rest, etc...
Well, when I came home from the dr's office, I felt funny..sort of naked from not having my staples holding me in and safe and secure. The incision was tingly and felt different, but I just chaulked it up to being sensitive since the staples were pullled out. I also had to put a gauze there since the incision was weeping a clear liquid a bit...again, I thought it was from the staples and scabs being pulled off, so this was normal. I rested that night and felt better in the morning.
This morning, I felt well enough, plus confident enough to go out of the house and try to get back to normal a bit more. My daughter came over, drove me to the hair salon, I got my hair cut, only took about an hour...then we went to dinner...again, not alot of walking, but I was up and out most of the day.
WELL......everything changed after dinner. I could barely make it home...I was exhausted, weak, dizzy, nauseous, and shaky. I felt as if I had just had my surgery all over again...then when I got home, I felt wetness on my incision, checked the gauze and it was soaking wet!!! the entire gauze was filled with a clear fluid...no blood, no puss, just this clear seapage of some sort. I had to go and lay down right away, felt as if someone ran me over with a truck!! After resting for awhile, the seapage let up, but I now see that it is coming from a spot on the incision that is a bit open looking...and wet. It looks like it is trying to form a scab over this area. I hope.

Do you think that I am being my own worst enemy and doing too much too soon? My husband reminded me that it has only been three weeks, not six!! I felt good enough, but the surgery showed me who was boss!! It's back to resting for awhile.

Should I call my dr about this weeping of the incision? or is that normal? should I keep a gauze on it or let the air get at it?
Any one else have anything like this happen to them?

thanks for listening!!
Unread 04-12-2006, 08:57 PM

I would call the dr first thing tomorrow. My dr said if anything came out to give them a call.Just to eb on safe side but maybe someone with more knowledge and experinece will respond soon.
Unread 04-12-2006, 09:38 PM

Definately call the doctor--chances are it's fine, but only your doctor's office can say.
Unread 04-13-2006, 12:45 AM

Hi Bluegoose:

I had this happen too. Although the doc put a drain in, the incision decided it wanted to drain from itself too. The fluid was mostly clear, tinged with pink and yellow and would suddenly gush out even if I just stood up from resting. Drainage from this area can be problematic and your surgeon will want to see you to evaluate the area. My doc said if an odor appeared or if the drainage got to be a thick yellow or green to call her immediately or go to the emergency room because it was an indication that the incision was infected. Since you aren’t having those symptoms, I hope it’s safe to assume you don’t have that going on. Definitely call your doctor ASAP. In my case, I had to swab it 3 times a day with a diluted solution of peroxide followed by complete drying with my blow dryer and then cover it with a sterile pad. As a further precaution I was put on antibiotics for 3 weeks. My doc also saw me every other day and the visiting nurse inspected this area on the opposite days of the doc appointments. It eventually cleared up, but I was fortunate that the affected area was shallow. Had it been deeper, I would have had to go to a wound clinic for treatment. Again, call your doctor and let him/her know what’s going on. Like the other sisters say...you only have one chance to heal right.

TAH/BSO and 27 pound mucinous cystdenoma removed on 3/17/06
Unread 04-13-2006, 01:10 AM

Same thing happened to me... Only it was first thing in the morning after waking. I put my hand down to my stomach and everything was soaking wet. That was about 10 days ago (lost track of time so much has happened to me) but my doc put me on antibiotics for about 10 days and said the wound in that spot is healing from the inside out. It is still slightly weeping now and I have a gauze there each day buthe is happy that it is healing. Go to the doctor, or ring them... it wil put your mind at ease. Better to have someone tell you all is okay than worry about it.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.